Why such a low limit? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Why such a low limit?

So, I might be watching too much Top Gear lately but a question keeps popping up in my head. Why is the V6 Mustang have such a low top speed limit?

Every time I watch TG they mention a car's top speed and its usually limited to around 150ish mph. Even cars like a ford focus. Why is our V6 stang limit to 112? (or is it 116?)

Obviously no sane person should be going that fast on any road in the US but if I were to go to a track with a long enough straight, isn't that limit pretty low?

Are the numbers they report in TG only for Europe?

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Buy a tune and the speed limiter is removed.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012
PONY Member

Speed limiter is probably set with regard to the speed rating of the tires.

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

saw a vid of a V6 driveshaft letting go @ ~ 135, I think

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012
GT Member

I've "heard" that it's because they didn't want to spring for higher performance tires so needed to limit it to the tires rating.

Now, this could be speculation, but it is a ford and they have been known to cut corners (cough, cough).

A 115 limit is pretty sad. Imagine the point-by's at the track!

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLew89 View Post
So, I might be watching too much Top Gear lately but a question keeps popping up in my head. Why is the V6 Mustang have such a low top speed limit?

Every time I watch TG they mention a car's top speed and its usually limited to around 150ish mph. Even cars like a ford focus. Why is our V6 stang limit to 112? (or is it 116?)

Obviously no sane person should be going that fast on any road in the US but if I were to go to a track with a long enough straight, isn't that limit pretty low?

Are the numbers they report in TG only for Europe?

Can anyone shed some light on this please?
I dont know about new Foci,but my 2005 Focus had a top speed of 110mph.

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycerichert View Post
I've "heard" that it's because they didn't want to spring for higher performance tires so needed to limit it to the tires rating.

Now, this could be speculation, but it is a ford and they have been known to cut corners (cough, cough).

A 115 limit is pretty sad. Imagine the point-by's at the track!
The drive shafts have been known to fail around 130mph

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

It seems pretty difficult to find vehicle speed limiter values online so all I can compare our V6 to is things I've heard them mention on Top Gear.

I also know our DS fails around 130 mph but I guess that's my point. Mustangs are known to be fast cars (at least in straight lines). Why limit the V6 to 115 if they are going to make a Focus able to reach 150+
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
The drive shafts have been known to fail around 130mph
This.

Cheap drive shafts can't take the rotational forces of high speed. They simply come apart....literally grenading at high speed is bad.

2013 Black GT/CS. Electronics pkg. Comfort, 3.73. CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna. JLT Oil Separator. 20% rear 50% front tint. Clearbra. Flip Down License Plate Holder.
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLew89 View Post
Why limit the V6 to 115 if they are going to make a Focus able to reach 150+
The only Focus capable (stock) of reaching 150 will be the new ST (or the older Euro STs and RSs). Halfshafts are much shorter than the V6 Mustang driveshaft and are less subject to the harmonics and imbalances that would cause them to grenade. Whether the reason for going with the lighter-duty driveshaft in the V6 is cost-cutting or lessening rotational mass to save on gas mileage (ie the ability to advertise 30+MPG) is subject to debate, but the general consensus is that the V6 driveshaft is a weak point.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Looks like this guy has a tune...
2011 Mustang V6 running on the autobahn 2.73:1 gears-2011-09-09-16-45-03.mp4 - YouTube

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Banned
4.6L Member

well wait til all the Democrats decide the top speed needs to be 55mph to save oil...if they can mandate health insurance, what's to stop them?
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
The limiter is because the driver doesn't want to kill himself when the driveshaft snaps at 130mph, seen the videos? Id never take that limiter off until I beefed up that driveshaft with a better one

Sent from my driver's seat using my Fire

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

Beast3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
The limiter is because the driver doesn't want to kill himself when the driveshaft snaps at 130mph, seen the videos? Id never take that limiter off until I beefed up that driveshaft with a better one

Sent from my driver's seat using my Fire
It's really one video and obviously the car was modded, just don't know how much, since he was going faster than the factory limiter allows. There is another video of a v6 busting its DS on a dyno, but that car was modded too.
PONY Member

Its because as others have said the drive shaft on the V6 can fail at around 130mph.

2007 Silver GT, manual
3.55 Gears, Shaftmaster 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, Borla Stingers, Pacesetter ceramic Long Tube Headers, Pacesetter catted H pipe, Steeda UDPs, JLT CAI, MGW short throw shifter and Bama 93 Oct Street tune

2001 Laser Red GT, automatic (293RWHP, 310RWTQ) Gone but not forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page