Water Leak from stock mufflers? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Water Leak from stock mufflers?

I've been noticing after I park the car after a short drive and come back to it, I notice puddles of water underneath both mufflers on the ground. The water seems to be originating from the front of the mufflers, NOT leaking out the tailpipes.

Is this normal? or am I going to have my mufflers rusting out soon?
The car's exhaust system has never been tampered with, I only got about 4K miles on it.

thanks

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Ingot Silver MT-6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012
GT Member

It is probably just normal condensation that builds up and simply gets trapped in the muffler... and when the car stops, it has enough time to drain out of the tiny hols on the bottom of the muffler.

Just a guess; but being that you didn't state that there is white smoke in the exhaust... I bet you're fine.

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaty08 View Post
... I bet you're fine.
...as long as you don't throw a low muffler coolant level code
MustangLife and crjackson2134 like this.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

No smoke and no codes. I didn't know there were holes built into the mufflers, I will have to crawl under there and examine it more closely when I get a chance.

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Ingot Silver MT-6
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafreeze View Post
I sense this may start another problem thread.....
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012
MACH I Member

Yep the stock mufflers have weep holes to let condensation drain.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-mufflers.html

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Give the stockers a good rev to get some of the moisture out. There are weep holes for a reason, I never had enough drips under my stock mufflers to even draw my attention!

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafreeze View Post
Well played! :laughlitt
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I drilled weep holes in my second set of Borlas. The set I took of was full of condensate.

2011 GT Preminum, Red Candy Metallic, 4.10, Electronics, Rear View, Comfort, Security, Borla, 20" Saleen, FRPP springs, CS front valance w/fogs, Roush billet grille, Roush TVS 625hp, Kooks LT's and Catted H Pipe, Tremec Magumn XL, McLeod RXT, AutoMeter Gauges, Dynotech DS, Steeda adjustable UCA, Steeda adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCA's, Steeda A/O Separator, Tokico D-Specs, Raptor Shift Light, engine by Shrader Performance, Tune by ProDyno, 643rwhp, 548lb/ft tq
PONY Member

Get it up over 6 grand to clean it out on occasion. I get the same thing.

2011 Mustang GT Premium Package, Candy Red, Security Pkg
Mods to Date; Vortech V3 Supercharged/Intercooled/9 lb boost, JLT Blow through intake, Tial 50mm Race BOV, K & N Breathers, JPC RACING Tuned,Vortech Boost A Pump, TREMEC Magnum T56 Magnum, Mcleod RST twin clutch, Upgraded clutch line,Modular flywheel, Aluminum Driveshaft,Borla ATAK Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs,Adjustable Panhard,Raxiom Halo lights, Raxiom tail lights, GT/CS 19 inch wheels,LED Boost Guage, PLX Kiwi wideband
PONY Member

These things do make quite a bit of water when they first start up. If you rev it you'll see water spewing out of the tail pipes. It's normal. Once everything is up to temp it stops.

I'm tired of shows about vampires. I want to see killer umpires!
ucb
PONY Member

You better make sure your AC condenser isnt leaking while you are under there checking the muffler bearings...
Rookie

Muffler water leak a covered warrantee issue?

I’ve got a 2012 Mustang with 24K that is still under warrantee with mufflers that leak as well. With a flashlite and mirror, I can see the weep hole in the back of the muffler as someone indicated was present in stock mufflers. Thanks.

The back of the muffler around the weep hole is showing deterioration and rust as is the bottom of the muffler where the water drips down to the crimp. Deterioration is about 1/2" to 1” in diameter in/around both spots and clearly the muffler will rust out and fail in that exact spot at some point in the future.

So my question is, is Ford liable to do something about this now while the car is still under warrantee, or am I just to wait until it rusts out and have to replace the mufflers? Anyone know? Anyone take theirs to a dealer and address it? If so, what’d they say and/or do about it? Thanks!

(I did get a couple good photos and if I can figure out how, I'll post them to show the deterioration.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4208.jpg
Views:	2176
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	309314   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4205.jpg
Views:	1619
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	309322   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4209.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	309330  
GT Member

Dude, water is a natural by product of combustion, especially with catalytic converters in. Just stop being prissy and drive it some more. It'll take forever to rust out that muffler from that tiny weep hole. The car'll be long gone to its next owner likely.

Really worried enough to make a fool of yourself taking this to a dealer? I'd suggest instead, A bit of sandpaper and a shot of anti-rust paint and sally forth, unhindered by doubt.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
EGT
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Dude, water is a natural by product of combustion
Yep - burning a gallon of gas yields a little more than a gallon of water.

2012 Black Premium GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page