2011 paint issues - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

yea, seems like it has to do with the seam underneath and automatic carwashes were always mentioned in the same breath. ever since I heard of this I always raise my hood after a wash and dry the area around the seam really well.. don't know if this really helps but I figure it can't hurt.

I might go by my Ford dealer's bodyshop and see if they know anymore since this has been an issue over time and make sure sealer is good and if there's anything else I can do pro-actively to prevent this from happening down the road.

2011 V6 Premium ,Grabber Blue/White Stripes/Charcoal Black, Auto/2.73, 202A Pony Package, Comfort Package.

Mods, Factory Engine Cover, Ford Strut Tower Brace, 19" Painted Aluminum Wheels/245-45-19 P-Zeros, Wheel Locks, Ford Accessory Alarm, Ford All-Weather Mats, window tint, spare tire/jack, cam cap mod.
on deck... Polk Audio db571 X 4 speakers & baffles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

This is really horrible. I truly hope this gets taken care of for you.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

yeah I will check with a ford dealership when I can get a chance, in to he next week or so

88GT convertible
11V6 pony package

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Update:

So I took my car to the local Ford Dealership and had them take a bunch of pictures, they said they would get back to me in a few days after doing some diging and options and what not. Well they called me yesterday and told me since my car is over the 36,000 mile warranty( I have 48,xxx on the odometer)
that it couldn't be covered, so I asked what about the life time corrosion warranty and they said that wouldn't cover it because its not punctured or perforated (not really sure which he said).
he told me my best bet was to get ahold of the dealer that sold me the car and see if they can work something out, I also asked about my extended warranty and he told me in around about way that it was kind of a joke.
The dealer that I bought the car at is about a 45 min drive so I not sure if I want to go all the way out there and have them tell me the same thing. What should I do?

88GT convertible
11V6 pony package
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4broke View Post
Update:

So I took my car to the local Ford Dealership and had them take a bunch of pictures, they said they would get back to me in a few days after doing some diging and options and what not. Well they called me yesterday and told me since my car is over the 36,000 mile warranty( I have 48,xxx on the odometer)
that it couldn't be covered, so I asked what about the life time corrosion warranty and they said that wouldn't cover it because its not punctured or perforated (not really sure which he said).
he told me my best bet was to get ahold of the dealer that sold me the car and see if they can work something out, I also asked about my extended warranty and he told me in around about way that it was kind of a joke.
The dealer that I bought the car at is about a 45 min drive so I not sure if I want to go all the way out there and have them tell me the same thing. What should I do?
If i were you i would PM deysha on these forums. Granted your car is out of warranty but if there aren't any holes in the paint or anything like that it had to come from the hood. New cars should never look like that and there have been other accounts of cars doing the same thing
MACH I Member

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4broke View Post
Update:
he told me my best bet was to get ahold of the dealer that sold me the car and see if they can work something out
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHeinold View Post
If i were you i would PM deysha on these forums.
Thank you for the mention, KrisHeinold.

Hello go4broke,

I recommend you go contact your selling dealer first and then make an appointment with them. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
GT Member

It's just beyond comprehension how Ford could argue about whether bubbling FACTORY paint on a 4 year old or newer car is not their problem.

I went to 2 dealers arguing about this on my '08 vert that had 13,000 miles after 4 years and had seen rain twice, washed about 4 times in it's life.

Best response was from dealer #1 - "let's see if it gets worse, still have year left on rust warranty".

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
Rookie

Angry Mine got the same problem

Hi Guys my i found the Oxidation problem on my 2012 Mustang Hood last week, i`m already make a appointment on my Service Dealer and they ask me for a body shop appreciation. the bad part of the story is no costumer satisfaction at all on my Service Dealer they are really mean!

Silver 2012 Mustang v6 Performance Package, Custom Made Carbon Fiber Rear Deck Lid & Hood Stipes, Shelby gt500 Rear Mud Flaps, Raxiom's Smoke Projector Halo Headlights, ROUSH Cold Air Intake,eibach pro kit performance lowering springs.
Banned

Oh god... I had this exact problem when i owned an '07 Civic Si... I spent close to a year going back and forth with Honda Canada and the dealer etc etc. They will keep telling you it's your fault for various ******** reasons such as improper washing, foreign substance left on the paint for an extended period etc etc etc. Good luck to you.
PONY Member

As you have herd. This is being caused by oxidation (rust) under your paint. Your dealer will try to sand it down and have the hood painted. You need to fight for a new hood because its just a matter of time till this comes back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Apprentice

My 2011 in Sterling Silver did exactly the same thing. I was lucky and got it to the dealer with 170 kms still remaining on the warranty, otherwise I would have been screwed. I think you should be able to find enough examples of other people having this problem to show it's a manufacturing defect, not something you've done.

They repainted the hood. bumper and fenders on my car. The colour match is good but they put more flake in the paint than what was originally there plus the clear they used appears to be thicker so the paint looks different. It's better than having the bubbles but I really wish after making cars for 100 years they would have figured out how to paint them right the first time.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangPRBOY View Post
Hi Guys my i found the Oxidation problem on my 2012 Mustang Hood last week, i`m already make a appointment on my Service Dealer and they ask me for a body shop appreciation. the bad part of the story is no costumer satisfaction at all on my Service Dealer they are really mean!
I recommend you contact our Puerto Rico Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-841-3673 for further assistance, MustangPRBOY. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangPRBOY View Post
Hola tambien soy de puerto rico lleve el mio por el mismo problema y esta pendiente ya que me hicieron un trabajo grave el bonete quedo de otro color.

Hi im from puerto rico to and use to have the same issue. Look at the paint very carefully because they paint mi car and the paint wont match not even close. They say that it was normal because black is difficult to match
Rookie

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mecanico2011
2011 Mustang Paint Issues

Hi
I just had Ford make a determination on the same issue with my 2011 GT, Yellow Blaze Metallic. They will send it to repair, repaint, refinish.. however, I am aware that there is a legal issue Ford has or had regarding the paint issues. The problem is caused by dissimilar metals in contact, aluminum skin, steel frame underneath, called inter-crystalline corrosion, seen on aircraft. Ford refers to it as Defective Galvanic Coupling. It is a warranty item..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page