Ford Mustang Forum banner

Advantage and disadvantages for new wheels

6K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  JetsFan 
#1 ·
So whent to go look for new wheels today with my dad and saw the wheels I originally wanted and wow they look way better in person.

1) The guy said if I want the staggered set up they will be $2240 rear 20x10 or 10.5 forgot which one and front will be 20x8.5

2)For a nonstaggered set up it will be $2100 for 20x8.5 all around

Both prices already include hankook v12 tires that have 40% side wall and they mount,balance, and install them and will put my TMPS sensors from my stock wheels to the new ones all included in the price and thats with tax and everything already.

My car will be for daily driving and no racing.
Now to my main question, what will the advantages be with the staggered setup?
And what will the disadvantages be with the staggered setup?

And are these wheel packages at a good price for what they come with?
And what would be the best one to go with #1 or #2

Now heres what the car looks like with the wheel

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
The advantages of staggered.

1. Look badass
2. More traction
3. Deep dish lip on the back

Disadvantages of 8.5 on the back are that you could never do more than like a 275.

I would do 255/35/20 on the front and 285, or maybe 295/35/20's on the back with the 20X10 wheel.

The back tires are expensive, but really I don't have any front wearing issues so not rotating is not that big of a deal unless you're into milking that last 15k out of a set of tires.

I have 285/30/20's on 20x10's (black) the white one has 305/35/20's on 20x10's. Just to give you an idea of the various tire profiles. Both cars have 255/35/20's on 20x9 fronts.

#11 ·
...I have 285/30/20's on 20x10's (black) the white one has 305/35/20's on 20x10's. Just to give you an idea of the various tire profiles. Both cars have 255/35/20's on 20x9 fronts...
Can I ask a HUGE favor?

Could you take a picture of the car with 305/35/20 tires from the rear and kind of low (no higher than bumper high)?

I'm trying to see how much more aggressive a tire wider than 285 looks and I haven't seen a pic of a 295+ tire on a Mustang from that angle.

Sorry, I know that seems kind of specific!

#10 ·
I would get the same size on all wheels, 275/40/19 being the perfect fit to me.
Having the same size on all will let you rotate them, which is always a good thing and will make your tires last longer.

I don't see any advantages going staggered for someone who will use his Mustang daily and won't go to the race track.

#14 ·
I just recently put 19x9 front and 19x10 rears with Hankook V12's and IMO the traction is FANTASTIC. I can put down way more power coming out of turns. Came straight from the same stock wheels that you did. I was amazed at how different the stang felt. Staggered looks amazing. If you bought the Mustang for economy then don't get staggered. A square setup will definetely save you money in the long run. To me... having a stang means making it as bad ass as possible. Pictures in thread below.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-v6-mustang-tech/335014-large-pictures-new-pics-stang.html

#17 ·
I would LOVE for my ride to look like this and I want to know how close I can get. I'm probably going to go up to 315/35/20...

#19 ·
Yikes... I was hoping to see the entire back end like in my picture!

Sorry... I sound like a pain in the ass to myself too.

#22 ·
Jetsfan:

A staggered setup is going to cost more in the long run due to lack of rotation. It could be as low as 6,000 miles before you need to replace the rubber where as with a square setup you could get 20,000 or even better.

Pay attention to the overall weight of the wheel and tires from stock can have a huge impact on performance. Monster tires in the back look great but if you are adding 20 or 30 lbs to the wheel/tire combo, you will notice that (in a bad way). Braking distance will be longer. Acceleration may not be affected if you are able to get better traction but your car will be working harder to turn those heavier wheels. Pay attention to the amount of wheel weights that are applied. Lighter wheels cost more money!

Weather / Rain performance - when you have much wider tires on the back, your car will hydroplane easier - that might not be a problem in California.

Wider tires on front can sometimes make your car's front end tracking wander a bit. This can be countered with more aggressive alignment settings but that will also cause accelerated wear.

Watch the tire diameter - if you stay the same as your stock tires then your speedometer will not be off and your gear ratios will not be affected. Shorter tires also mean less ground clearance.

Your car's handling will also be affected since your car was tuned to have a certain under-steer / over-steer balance. When you alter the geometry with wider rear tires, your car may want to plow more than it did before. This may not be a problem for you depending on how you drive.

It is more practical to have the same size wheels and tires but... you probably did not get your Mustang cause was practical right?

Despite all of that, a staggered setup just looks much better.

#24 ·
Jetsfan:

A staggered setup is going to cost more in the long run due to lack of rotation. It could be as low as 6,000 miles before you need to replace the rubber where as with a square setup you could get 20,000 or even better.

Pay attention to the overall weight of the wheel and tires from stock can have a huge impact on performance. Monster tires in the back look great but if you are adding 20 or 30 lbs to the wheel/tire combo, you will notice that (in a bad way). Braking distance will be longer. Acceleration may not be affected if you are able to get better traction but your car will be working harder to turn those heavier wheels. Pay attention to the amount of wheel weights that are applied. Lighter wheels cost more money!

Weather / Rain performance - when you have much wider tires on the back, your car will hydroplane easier - that might not be a problem in California.

Wider tires on front can sometimes make your car's front end tracking wander a bit. This can be countered with more aggressive alignment settings but that will also cause accelerated wear.

Watch the tire diameter - if you stay the same as your stock tires then your speedometer will not be off and your gear ratios will not be affected. Shorter tires also mean less ground clearance.

Your car's handling will also be affected since your car was tuned to have a certain under-steer / over-steer balance. When you alter the geometry with wider rear tires, your car may want to plow more than it did before. This may not be a problem for you depending on how you drive.

It is more practical to have the same size wheels and tires but... you probably did not get your Mustang cause was practical right?

Despite all of that, a staggered setup just looks much better.
I want the back wheels to stick out to the fender, like the stock wheels they looked pushed in. sticking out to the fender looks agressive and cool to me but would it look like that if I went with 20x8.5 all around

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.