Ford Mustang Forum banner

Review of Hearthrob 3-inch catback with x-pipe

983 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jdnull68 
#1 ·
I'll try to make this short and sweet. I'm a man of few words.
Got this setup from AM back when it was on sale. Everything came in great shape and with all hardware to do the job. It all mated up perfectly to the cats, and again to my Hushpower axlebacks. No clearance problems. BUT, the clamps used to clamp the new pipe to the cat pipe do not seal, and caused exhaust leaks on both sides. I'm guessing that because the new pipe is larger, whenever you tighten it to the smaller stock cat pipe, it basically crinkled (yes, that's a technical term:hihi:). I could see where the new pipe did not seal and was leaking, and it was right in the gap of the clamp. It can only tighten up so much, and left the bulge in the pipe, causing the leak. So today I am welding the seam to fix it. Overall, I like the sound and am very pleased with it. Nuff said about that. Hope that helps anybody thinking of buying, you will need to weld the pipes together, only at the cats.
I have pics, but again, my stupid computer won't put them on here.

#2 ·
I put the same set up on but with the "H" pipe and Borla Touring axle backs. I too had problems with the cat connections but with some "fiddiling" I was able to get them leak free. I like the sound, no drone and the price was right.

#3 ·
The pics may be too large. If you make them a little smaller it might work.

Congrats. Are you doing the welding yourself?

#4 ·
I'm not much of a welder, but a buddy of mine has been doing it or a living, and modding Mustangs, since the '70's. I gladly pay him for his time on all my exhaust work. Shout out to BIG R!:bigthumbsup
Oh, BTW, sounds great now after the fix!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.