Ford Mustang Forum banner

Black Billet grille, "retro" style, from American Muscle- review

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Asphalt Cowboy 
#1 ·
In case anybody is wondering why I am posting each review as a new thread, it is to help anybody in the future who may do a thread search for one particular product. I hate it when some thread goes WAY off topic.
So the upper billet grille was a royal PITA to install, only because it is so difficult getting the OEM grille out of the grille frame. Use caution, patience, and a small screw driver. I was p!ssed, but finally got the old one out. The new grille fit OK, but really is not as secure as the OEM piece. Finish was less than desirable, as the paint had horrible runs all over the place. Looked like my 8 year old boy painted it.:nono: Luckily, you can't see the runs once it is installed, as they are all on the bottom of each bar.
The lower grille piece is impossible to install by yourself, unless you install it before installing the upper piece back in place. I screwed up, installed the upper first, then tried to do the lower. No way. So a buddy came buy and held it in place from the bottom as I secured it from the top, from behind the upper grille.
I really like the looks of this mod. I was happy to get rid of the gigantic fog lights and pony emblem. Car looks much more aggressive, and should provide better airflow into the CAI and radiator, even if just a little bit.

#3 ·
Sorry, Dude, can't post pics for some reason, except for my avatar.
Yeah, fit & finish were not exactly top grade, but i am on a budget, and it looks great once installed. Been up to 150mph and didn't fall off, so must be good enough!:kooky:

#4 ·
I personally think the grille looks good. The alignment all depends on how you install it. The old grille was a pain in the a$$ to get off and getting the new upper grille lined up and centered perfectly took a little patience. The same with the lower which was easier, no doubt, with someone to hold it in place.

#5 ·
Agreed, the grille looks great once installed, alignment was not even as issue for me. For the price, as compared to other options, you can't beat it. I'm just saying that at least with mine, the finish paint had way too many runs in it. But since you can't see them once installed, I did't really care anymore.:bigthumbsup I love the look of the front end without all the stuff in there.

#6 ·
Too bad we can't see it... Do you have a link from where you got that grille from?

In case anybody is wondering why I am posting each review as a new thread, it is to help anybody in the future who may do a thread search for one particular product.
It's a good idea, although I chose the other way; all in one thread so if some are interested by seeing my Mustang, what mods I've done, it's all in one thread, like a journal. Been doing it for over a year now, since I bought my GT/CS, and it's nice to see the changes, one after the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.