255's or 275's all around. Simple a Poll. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: which tires all around?
255/45/18 42 26.25%
275/40/18 118 73.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214_5.0 View Post
What is the obsession some people have with rotating tires, to save money? It's not like it makes your car magically use less tread...you just buy rear tires more often and front less often.

I vote staggered 275 rear and 255 front. Here are the advantages: Better Looks, Better Handling, and technically saves you money over 275's all around because 255's for the front are cheaper.

But if you're set on rotating...255 all around.
Out of the box, a stock GT, and the Brembo GT, are set up for the same size contact patch on all 4 corners. If you're looking at the Boss 302, 302 LS, or the GT500, that have matched springs and sway bars for a staggered set up, then it would make sense. If you're going for looks, do staggered, if you're going for better handling with the stock suspension, go squared.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

I voted for the 275 since that's what's going on my car tomorrow. :kooky:

I do wonder why everyone goes for the 275/40/18 instead of 275/45/18? From what I can tell, the 45 is closer to the stock 235/50 wheel size and is very close in RPM's so the speedometer will be darn close. Is it just an appearance thing?

2011 Kona Blue GT
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangarr View Post
I voted for the 275 since that's what's going on my car tomorrow. :kooky:

I do wonder why everyone goes for the 275/40/18 instead of 275/45/18? From what I can tell, the 45 is closer to the stock 235/50 wheel size and is very close in RPM's so the speedometer will be darn close. Is it just an appearance thing?
IMO the 27 inch stock wheel height is too high, so 26.6" (275/40/18) is the best of both worlds. Bit larger sidewall than the 255/40/19 factory tire for improved compliance and grip with this heavy car and smaller OD than factory for less rotating mass in the tire and less folding over of the sidewall under severe cornering loads with this heavy car.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingRedGT View Post
The wheel is going to be the AMR machined 18x9
According to the below links, 275 is at the limit for those 9" rims w/255 optimal.

Charcoal AMR Mustang Wheel 18x9 (05-12 All) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Stock Tire - 275/40R18...Width Range: 9 - 11 in

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
GT Member

I roll with 275 in the back and 255 up front.

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
What is the obsession some people have with rotating tires, to save money? It's not like it makes your car magically use less tread...you just buy rear tires more often and front less often.

I vote staggered 275 rear and 255 front. Here are the advantages: Better Looks, Better Handling, and technically saves you money over 275's all around because 255's for the front are cheaper.

That's what I was thinking..if you get a good gripping brand of tire, you wont have much tread life anyway, and if the car is aligned properly, wear wont be an issue.
Having said that, I have 275 fronts and 295s back. The only reason I didnt get 315s is that they were on back order. I love the staggered look and I love the look of BIG MEAT in the back...of course Im over 40 and love the old-school muscle cars, so I go for that kind of look. I didnt vote because My vote was "neither"

RC

2011 GT/CS Auto-Security Package, HID, Remote Start.

STEEDA: LCA/Upper 3rd Link, Adj Rear Sway bar, Spyder 20" Rims 11"/9.5", Hood Struts.

VMP S/C w/82mm Pulley, JLT CF Intake, Vortech Max Flow BAP, AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, FMS 3.31 Gears, Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Off Road H-Pipe, GT500 AB's, Baer Big Brake Kit with 14" Rotors, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge w/Speed of Sound A-Pillar.

Roush Front Bumper, Saleen Front Grille, Custom Radiator Cover/Coil Covers
post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I ended up buying the AM GT500 Style Black Machined Staggered Nitto package.

The poll was pretty one sided. I did alot of reading and for a daily driver I think this would be best for my situation. The 555's seem to have good treadlife and I like the staggered look.

Now I just have to count down till the day they arrive.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
ucb
PONY Member

Quote:

What is the obsession some people have with staggering F/R tires for aesthetic reasons when there is zero performance benefit?
PONY Member

Michelin Pilot Super Sports, 275/40ZR19's all around.

Excellent grip. Stiffer sidewall but still not a harsh ride. Great in wet as well as dry.

Very noticable handling improvement when compared to my stock 245 Pirrellis.

(PS...214_5.0, a staggered setup may look "sick", but it will induce understeer in the Mustang under heavy cornering. If superior handling is what you are after, you want non-staggered...not that the average Joe would notice one way or the other on the street).

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post

Excellent grip. Stiffer sidewall but still not a harsh ride. Great in wet as well as dry.

(PS...214_5.0, a staggered setup may look "sick", but it will induce understeer in the Mustang under heavy cornering. If superior handling is what you are after, you want non-staggered...not that the average Joe would notice one way or the other on the street).
You sir, have some bad ass tires. I love Super Sports. I had them on my G37, and it was like driving a totally different car coming from Goodyear RS-A. It was even more pronounced looking at the fact the RS-A is an all season tire.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucb View Post
What is the obsession some people have with staggering F/R tires for aesthetic reasons when there is zero performance benefit?

If if it's placebo... it's just like placebo relationships with doctors... studies show that some people get better over long periods just based on the longer time they spend with their doctor. Have wider tires on back might make people think than can go faster, ok that it certainly looks better. Staggered is good on a fast car. I wouldn't stagger a v6 or anything less if it was a mustang. I don't think the v6 can break the stock tires anyways.. .not sure though.. I saw a tastefully staggered s2000.. he was boosted and needed it though. the higher end bimmers look good if they are the latemodel 5-7 series.

Ok. Ambien kicking in.... night!

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
you're only talking 20mm difference, less than an inch...
An that's all it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnamover View Post
Another option is 265/40/18s. I chose the size because of price but I am very happy with them.
Odd size, I guess it may be more common to find a 18" vs a 19"

Quote:
More grip in the rear, less tramlining in the front. So there is a performance benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycerichert View Post
If if it's placebo... it's just like placebo relationships with doctors... studies show that some people get better over long periods just based on the longer time they spend with their doctor. Have wider tires on back might make people think than can go faster, ok that it certainly looks better. Staggered is good on a fast car. I wouldn't stagger a v6 or anything less if it was a mustang. I don't think the v6 can break the stock tires anyways.. .not sure though.. I saw a tastefully staggered s2000.. he was boosted and needed it though. the higher end bimmers look good if they are the latemodel 5-7 series.

Ok. Ambien kicking in.... night!
Agree, if your not breaking out the rear end, no need, If you have traction issues in the first 3 gears, you may want to look into the staggered setup. I don't get to worried about rotations, as these car shred summer tires in 10-15k miles, if I only get 7k miles out of a rear set and 14k miles out of a front set, rotating seems pointless, just buy a new set for the rears when they wear out, and likewise on the fronts, unless you drive under 5k miles a year, dry rot should not be an issue. I ran on 285/35/19's on all 4 for almost a year, grip was insane, but tramlining the grooves was horrid. After that curb jumped out in front of me I decided to loof for a new set of 255/40/19's(stock) for the front, and left the rear with the 285's. I get all the accel traction from the 285 w/ none of the "sideeffects" of the placebo pill with the 255's up front.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

ucb
PONY Member

"More grip in the rear, less tramlining in the front. So there is a performance benefit."

Tramlining only really happens on city roads/high ways and is a nuisance more than a performance downgrade.

In terms of handling and braking...a wider matching front tire is going to offer more performance. And if your car came with a square set up and you increase rear grip..you are introducing understeer which by no means is a performance benefit.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Tramlining only really happens on city roads/high ways and is a nuisance more than a performance downgrade.

In terms of handling and braking...a wider matching front tire is going to offer more performance. And if your car came with a square set up and you increase rear grip..you are introducing understeer which by no means is a performance benefit.
Tramlining is a serious nuisance, especially for a DD. I don't know how your roads are where you live, but here they are all grooved severely.

Agree with this, like I stated, the grip with the 285's up front was incredible, would turn and stop like nothing I've ever owned. I'll trade a little understeer tendancy for a little extra "off the line acceleration" and a little better everyday "drivability". I also think the extra weight from the larger tires up front hurt the ride quality a little bit, but that may just be placebo as well.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post

Did you notice any increased tram lining or another dislikes with this set up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page