255's or 275's all around. Simple a Poll. - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: which tires all around?
255/45/18 42 26.25%
275/40/18 118 73.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Perhaps this is getting off track a bit but...I didn't start it and I think it is pertinent...squared vs staggered is a facinating discussion to me...I'm still trying to decide on summer wheels/rubber.

Increased rolling resistance hasn't been mentioned.

The statement that tramlining is only an issue on city streets and highways is interesting as well...that just happens to be where I drive. Perhaps if I had a car just for a killer road coarse track...

Also interesting, and not yet mentioned, is the Boss and GT500 come with 255/285 f/r...and in 19" wheels/rubber (although I think maybe the new Shelby has 20" rears). Also, most all the performance cars I look at come stock with wider tires in the rear, and the higher end cars will typically have wider tires than we're discussing.

To me, it's not having a staggered setup just to have a staggered setup (real tough to compare the width of the front tires to the rear as low as the car is), it's to get as much rubber in the rear for traction and as much up front for steering as is reasonably possible w/o having the fronts pull me around and without having to take out a 2nd mortage whenever it's time for tires.

Plus, I've read that you can correct the above mentioned potential understeer issues w/your suspension set up.

Also, my state allows studded tires...lot of wear grooves in many of these roads.

As an aside, (for this derail I do apologize but I've already gotten over the guilt) I almost ordered the adjustable Ford Racing suspension pack yesterday. Decided to order a decent floor jack, buffer and Son's 22nd birthday presents first. Best price I've found is at FordSuperCenter.com, $1525 delivered...in fact the guy (sorry, can't recall his name) who's posted here for that site included the pack on their webpage after I'd asked him if he could get it...now I do feel guilty about not ordering it yet...maybe I should use that guilt to justify putting it on plastic...if I get 5 supporters chime in in the next 24 hrs and say 'hell yes', I will.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

275's all the way around if you are looking to rotate I bought the new amr wheels with 255's in front and 275's in the rear. I already miss having 275's in the front. as soon as the tires wear, im going to do 275's in the front, and 295's in the rear

2010 Performance White Mustang GT
FRRP Hot Rod Cams, CAI+Tune, longtube headers, Steeda intake delete plugs, Spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel, SLP LM, 3.73 gears, hurst short throw, steeda LCA, Steeda sport springs, gt500 struts, Powerslot rotors, and a bunch of appearance mods
324rwhp 308tq
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214_5.0 View Post
What is the obsession some people have with rotating tires, to save money? It's not like it makes your car magically use less tread...you just buy rear tires more often and front less often.

I vote staggered 275 rear and 255 front. Here are the advantages: Better Looks, Better Handling, and technically saves you money over 275's all around because 255's for the front are cheaper.

But if you're set on rotating...255 all around.
Agree on larger rear tires. Certain tires can be rotated from side to side. My car is a DD and I have Michelin Pilot Supersports which can be laterally rotated (315/35/20 rear and 275/35/20 front)

2011 GT CS MT
JLT CAI/93 tune, Alum DS
Barton shifter/bracket
SW headers/exhaust
Rear seat delete
3M protection

ucb
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
Tramlining is a serious nuisance, especially for a DD. I don't know how your roads are where you live, but here they are all grooved severely.

Agree with this, like I stated, the grip with the 285's up front was incredible, would turn and stop like nothing I've ever owned. I'll trade a little understeer tendancy for a little extra "off the line acceleration" and a little better everyday "drivability". I also think the extra weight from the larger tires up front hurt the ride quality a little bit, but that may just be placebo as well.
In this context it makes perfect sense, but there does seem to be a big misconception that because certain cars come staggered from the factory, that there is then some performance benefit of it. That simply isnt true

And if you really dont care about cornering and braking aspects of the car and you mainly are looking for more off the line grip, then I can understand just upsizing the rear tires
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Am I correct in my understanding that 255/45 are the max width that an 18x8 stock wheel can accommodate, or is a 275/40 doable?

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
ucb
PONY Member

I wouldn't go wider than 255 on a 8" wide wheel.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
Am I correct in my understanding that 255/45 are the max width that an 18x8 stock wheel can accommodate, or is a 275/40 doable?
this suggests the widest tire you should mount to that 8" wheel in a 45 profile is 255mm. In a 40 profile, a 245.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafreeze View Post

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I had 255/45/18 on my stock 18x8 rims that were on my 08GT. Can't help on fitting a 255/40 on a 8" wide rime, I know on the BBP rim my 255/40/19's look slightly stretched on the front 9" wide rim.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucb View Post
And if you really dont care about cornering and braking aspects of the car and you mainly are looking for more off the line grip, then I can understand just upsizing the rear tires

In my case it's not that I don't care about them, I sure my car handle it's own on a turning/braking standpoint, as well as straight off the line.

IMO, the worst side effect of being staggered is understeer, and that my friend is easily cured with a jab of the right foot:nogrinner.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

ucb
PONY Member

Stiffen up the rear sway
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafreeze View Post
Also interesting, and not yet mentioned, is the Boss and GT500 come with 255/285 f/r...and in 19" wheels/rubber (although I think maybe the new Shelby has 20" rears). Also, most all the performance cars I look at come stock with wider tires in the rear, and the higher end cars will typically have wider tires than we're discussing.
They have matching sway bars and springs for the staggered set up. They are optimized for different contact patches front to rear. Both the base and the Brembo GT are tuned from the factory for a square set up. 99% of the people will not notice a difference on the street, but if you do any kind of performance driving it is noticeable. Also, if you know how your car will behave at the limit, in case you do run into an "Oh ****" situation on the street, you will know how your car will behave when you need to take evasive action.
PONY Member

Every once in a while on a heavily grooved road I might get a bit of tramlining, but very minor and not annoying. Last saturday I took a 150 mile trip out into the country with my friend and his 2007 Shelby. We tore up some beautiful twisting mountain roads at rather high speeds. I noticed no tramlining, just the improvement in precision and grip.

I can confirm that they ARE bad-ass tires.

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
Stick some big meats in the back, staggered looks sick imo

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucb View Post
What is the obsession some people have with staggering F/R tires for aesthetic reasons when there is zero performance benefit?
Because it looks good, duh.

2011 Red Candy Metallic Mustang GT/CS 5.0 Auto FTW! 13.284 @ 107.44 (DA Corrected 12.809 @ 111.502)
ucb
PONY Member

^^Hotshot aggrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
Because it looks good, duh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page