255's or 275's all around. Simple a Poll. - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: which tires all around?
255/45/18 42 26.25%
275/40/18 118 73.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I'm guessing Stevens Pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
Every once in a while on a heavily grooved road I might get a bit of tramlining, but very minor and not annoying. Last saturday I took a 150 mile trip out into the country with my friend and his 2007 Shelby. We tore up some beautiful twisting mountain roads at rather high speeds. I noticed no tramlining, just the improvement in precision and grip.

I can confirm that they ARE bad-ass tires.

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

If you spent around $30K for your car. Don't worry about saving a few hundred on tires or trying to get a few extra miles out of your tires. Buy the best you can fit and enjoy your car. Cheap tires take away from your performance. I pulled off my Brembo pckg wheels for Roush 18X10s with Nitto 555R 305/40/18 and Invo 275/40/18 up front. I am absolutely loving it.

2012 Mustang GT: Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger; Steeda UCA & LCA; BBK Long Tube Headers & x pipe; 3.73, Brembo, Roush 18X10, Nitto 555R Drag Radial 305/40/18, Magnaflow Cat Back. I am just lucky my wife let me buy and modify this car.
PONY Member

275 in the back 255 in the front. Staggered for the win.

2007 v6 Mustang
~Procharger~Snows Methanol Injection~39.5# injectors
~3.73 Gears~Tlock
~Dual Exhaust
Custom Tune by Force Fed
BullyDog GT to Watch
Cervinis hood
Saleen Staggered Rims 9/10 255/275

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214_5.0 View Post
What is the obsession some people have with rotating tires, to save money? It's not like it makes your car magically use less tread...you just buy rear tires more often and front less often.

I vote staggered 275 rear and 255 front. Here are the advantages: Better Looks, Better Handling, and technically saves you money over 275's all around because 255's for the front are cheaper.

But if you're set on rotating...255 all around.
Staggering actually decreases handling. Mustangs have very bad understeer; staggering makes this worse. That's why if you go to an autocross or road race, not a single car will have staggered wheels (if the driver knows anything.)

The only reason drag cars use staggered setups is for traction in the back, and less rotational mass in the front. It's easier to move a small tire, which is why skinnies go up front, and of course big tires in back for traction. But a drag car doesn't need to worry about turning...hopefully.

Windveil Blue 2006 Mustang V6 Pony Package
Pypes Dual Exhaust
JLT CAI
SCT SF3, running 87 performance Bama Tune
Ford Racing 7.5" LSD
Motive 4.10 gears
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muff Muff View Post
Staggering actually decreases handling. Mustangs have very bad understeer; staggering makes this worse. That's why if you go to an autocross or road race, not a single car will have staggered wheels (if the driver knows anything.)

The only reason drag cars use staggered setups is for traction in the back, and less rotational mass in the front. It's easier to move a small tire, which is why skinnies go up front, and of course big tires in back for traction. But a drag car doesn't need to worry about turning...hopefully.
Autocross is not typical racing, they have crazy setups and need a lot more front grip than a typical long course road race. Example Ford does not square up the GT500 265 front becuase it suffers aero losses at high speed in front with super wide tires, along with 'rut wander' and lack of steering precision. Also if you have any type of boss splitter in front that will gain you front grip and suddenly the back may get loose. Look at the boss 302, its got a 285 on the back and its 1" higher ride height in the back along with a stiff rear stabar. all that means they get the good properties of a properly sized front tire (255, not too wide) and they still get the turn in an front grip needed for Laguna Seca and its may high speed corners.

Squaring up a GT seems to work in a pure race series OK, those guys are on slicks and they are spec. tires. they also can adjust the wings and front downforce as needed. World challenge is only a 275/35/18 tire and its a square setup.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedneck View Post
Autocross is not typical racing, they have crazy setups and need a lot more front grip than a typical long course road race. Example Ford does not square up the GT500 265 front becuase it suffers aero losses at high speed in front with super wide tires, along with 'rut wander' and lack of steering precision. Also if you have any type of boss splitter in front that will gain you front grip and suddenly the back may get loose. Look at the boss 302, its got a 285 on the back and its 1" higher ride height in the back along with a stiff rear stabar. all that means they get the good properties of a properly sized front tire (255, not too wide) and they still get the turn in an front grip needed for Laguna Seca and its may high speed corners.

Squaring up a GT seems to work in a pure race series OK, those guys are on slicks and they are spec. tires. they also can adjust the wings and front downforce as needed. World challenge is only a 275/35/18 tire and its a square setup.
If proper steps to account for the understeer that staggering causes are taken, then I guess it's OK. However, the person I quoted is still wrong in saying that staggering increases handling. A regular Mustang with stock suspension will not get handling benefits from staggering wheels.

Windveil Blue 2006 Mustang V6 Pony Package
Pypes Dual Exhaust
JLT CAI
SCT SF3, running 87 performance Bama Tune
Ford Racing 7.5" LSD
Motive 4.10 gears
Rookie

I just ordered a set of 18x9.5 shelby cs69 wheels in black and i was asking myself this same question! I finally decided on 255. Staggered is not for me. I wish more companies made 265/45's

2012 Grabber Blue GT, 300A, 3.55's, Custom Leather, 1970 retromod
*Black 2002 GT Stage 2 Roush* - RIP
Apprentice

285/35/19 is what i run.
Apprentice

I run 275 on all four corners with 9.5" wheels. I didn't need anymore understeer from staggered.

2011 Kona Blue GT, P1SC, Roush AB, JHR Short Throw, FRP Adjustable Handling pack, 19 x 9.5 AMR wheels with 275s, FR Brembos, Exedy 500 clutch and flywheel. 585 whp at 7 PSI.
theautoblogger
PONY Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
Michelin Pilot Super Sports, 275/40ZR19's all around.

Excellent grip. Stiffer sidewall but still not a harsh ride. Great in wet as well as dry.

Very noticable handling improvement when compared to my stock 245 Pirrellis.

(PS...214_5.0, a staggered setup may look "sick", but it will induce understeer in the Mustang under heavy cornering. If superior handling is what you are after, you want non-staggered...not that the average Joe would notice one way or the other on the street).
Pac-man, that is the same setup (non-staggered) that I might chose to go with the same (Michelin) tires like you, because I want to track the car, and I don't know how it might behave if I go with the staggered way (probably that setup might need a bigger rear swaybar to reduce understeer if staggered).
Please tell me how your car behaves with those tire (275/40) and the 3.73

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73 & Std. transmission, Steeda Sport springs & KONI STRT. GT500 strut mounts, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS + ATE DOT 4, Rear CS style pedestal spoiler. Eleanor style side scoops, "C" style side decals, Black AM BOSS style roof vinyl, black hood custom vinyl & Black pony.
PONY Member

255 for daily driving (maybe staggered). 275 (or larger) for track days.

2000 GT. Track toy.
Stock motor, Maximum motorsports suspension, Cobra R wing, Stoptech brakes, TKO tranny, much more.
2013 GT, White, Track Pack, Recaro. SOLD
KW V3 coilovers / Whiteline UCA, LCA's & Brackets, F&R Swaybars, Watts link / Brake cooling ducts / Boss 302 shift knob / Steeda short shifter / .
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Bigger rear sway bar with staggered tires really improves cornering over stock

2011 GT CS MT
JLT CAI/93 tune, Alum DS
Barton shifter/bracket
SW headers/exhaust
Rear seat delete
3M protection
PONY Member

Which size of rear swaybar do you recommend?

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73 & Std. transmission, Steeda Sport springs & KONI STRT. GT500 strut mounts, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS + ATE DOT 4, Rear CS style pedestal spoiler. Eleanor style side scoops, "C" style side decals, Black AM BOSS style roof vinyl, black hood custom vinyl & Black pony.
PONY Member

I run 285/35/19 Bridgestone RE-11s all the way around. They're great...

Nick

90 Light Titanium 5.0 LX:The usual bolt ons, '93 Cobras, Saleen Racecraft Suspension

2011 Ford Mustang GT:Brembo, 3.73's, NX Coyote Plate, Boss Manifold, JLT Intake, Bama SCT, Flowmaster Axleback, JBA Offroad X pipe, CS Front Bumper, Roush Black Billet Grill, GT500 Rear Bumper, FRPP K.
410/362 NA
527/529 100 shot
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang8URMPRT View Post
I run 285/35/19 Bridgestone RE-11s all the way around. They're great...

Nick
Those RE-11's sure are spendy! But looks great on your ride

2000 GT. Track toy.
Stock motor, Maximum motorsports suspension, Cobra R wing, Stoptech brakes, TKO tranny, much more.
2013 GT, White, Track Pack, Recaro. SOLD
KW V3 coilovers / Whiteline UCA, LCA's & Brackets, F&R Swaybars, Watts link / Brake cooling ducts / Boss 302 shift knob / Steeda short shifter / .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page