255's or 275's all around. Simple a Poll. - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: which tires all around?
255/45/18 42 26.25%
275/40/18 118 73.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUUd444 View Post
wider looks beefier in my opinion. And beefy is good.
Beefy is good only as long as the wheels are wide enough for the tire size. Keep in mind that pinching a tire down to fit it on a too-narrow wheel will actually draw the sidewalls in and make it narrower. Really.

Something like what W.O.T. posted is good.

275/40's on OE 18x8's is not, and even 255/45's on those same 8's is on the verge of being not OK.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Beefy is good only as long as the wheels are wide enough for the tire size. Keep in mind that pinching a tire down to fit it on a too-narrow wheel will actually draw the sidewalls in and make it narrower. Really.

Something like what W.O.T. posted is good.

275/40's on OE 18x8's is not, and even 255/45's on those same 8's is on the verge of being not OK.

Norm
I'm with Norm on this one, your tires need to fit the wheels properly or you are, at best, wasting extra money on a bigger tire that doesn't fully contact the ground. Far too many mustang people squeeze tires that are too big onto smaller wheels.

Some of the advice happening in here is mind blowingly wrong. A staggered car will not handle better. You'll understeer at the limit. You'll burn through tires more often (yes you really will, there's a reason Michelin halves their tire warranty if you do staggered sizes). You'll sacrifice braking grip if you have good enough brakes to engage ABS...

If you aren't buying wheels, simply buy the largest tire that will -correctly- fit (8 - 235, 8.5 - 245, 9 - 255, 9.5 - 265-275, 10, 275-285, etc.). If you have all the same size wheels, get all the same size tires.

Gator3-7 likes this.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
I'm with Norm on this one, your tires need to fit the wheels properly or you are, at best, wasting extra money on a bigger tire that doesn't fully contact the ground. Far too many mustang people squeeze tires that are too big onto smaller wheels.

Some of the advice happening in here is mind blowingly wrong. A staggered car will not handle better. You'll understeer at the limit. You'll burn through tires more often (yes you really will, there's a reason Michelin halves their tire warranty if you do staggered sizes). You'll sacrifice braking grip if you have good enough brakes to engage ABS...

If you aren't buying wheels, simply buy the largest tire that will -correctly- fit (8 - 235, 8.5 - 245, 9 - 255, 9.5 - 265-275, 10, 275-285, etc.). If you have all the same size wheels, get all the same size tires.
Ok. Sounds like you know a lot about this subject. Based on your kind input and advice I will now stick with the stock 255/40/19s all around on my 9" wheels as replacements. No need to take chances just to "look cool" You have changed my mind and my order and install was set for Tuesday for 255s in front and 275s in back on my track pack. This was actually at the Ford dealer and they said it was ok!!! Thank you for stopping me in time from this big mistake. Was looking forward to those 275s though... oh well... it be what it be...

Last edited by Rogan01; 05-22-2016 at 04:56 PM.

PONY Member

255's or 275's all around. Simple a Poll.

255s on 9s, 265s on 9.5, 275 on 10, 285 on 10.5, 295 on 11. end
Rogan01 likes this.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpembach1 View Post
You said "end" . No one now dares question you. Good response! Should say "fin".
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010gt1 View Post
275's all the way around if you are looking to rotate I bought the new amr wheels with 255's in front and 275's in the rear. I already miss having 275's in the front. as soon as the tires wear, im going to do 275's in the front, and 295's in the rear
What is your wheel width? 9"?
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
That's a bit conservative on the larger wheels. a 295 on an 11 is quite small. A 305 is ideal.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
That's a bit conservative on the larger wheels. a 295 on an 11 is quite small. A 305 is ideal.
285/35's work very nicely on 11" wide wheels, too. As do 255/45's on 9.5" wide. For street or track, from personal experience.

They just doesn't satisfy everybody's appearance preferences set up like that, but then again appearance doesn't do a thing for getting my car around corners.

Norm
cpembach1 likes this.

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
PONY Member

255's or 275's all around. Simple a Poll.

Quote:

I'm not even going to argue with that statement, everyone here is too hard headed. Keep squeezing your 275s on 8.5s and 9s guys, it's the right thing to do.
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
285/35's work very nicely on 11" wide wheels, too. As do 255/45's on 9.5" wide. For street or track, from personal experience.

They just doesn't satisfy everybody's appearance preferences set up like that, but then again appearance doesn't do a thing for getting my car around corners.

Norm
Quote:
I'm not even going to argue with that statement, everyone here is too hard headed. Keep squeezing your 275s on 8.5s and 9s guys, it's the right thing to do.

I never said it was TOO small. Just on the smaller side, and most people like to squeeze the biggest tire they can. For track and autocross it can be good to go a little small for a better sidewall, but I like to point people towards the middle of the range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page