Hate OEM halogin headlights? $45 CURE. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Why not just install Silverstar Ultras?

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 View Post
Think of putting a fireman's nozzle on the end of a garden hose you wouldn't necessarily have more water flow, the restriction is in the wiring, thicker cable allows you to pass more amperage more efficiently = more light

OP great info!

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 View Post
Because the stock wiring won't allow the ultras to be all they can be.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio

MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

That makes sense. I just wanted to put that out there though.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
MACH I Member

Although I haven't done so yet, this is on my to do list. The only negative is perhaps shorter bulb life. That seems minor compared to driving out in the country without street lighting, and worrying that visability doesn't quite match up with the speed limit. I had Halogens in my Nissian and they lit up the road, so there should be no reason these headlights can't perform similarily.

PONY Member

All I can say is I drove plenty fast at night when all cars had sealed beams. Then halogens came out and they were like - balls. My acura has xenon lighting and i do love them.I just think people make too big a deal re the hid's. Amazing I didn't die driving all those years at night with sealed beams.

2012 Mustang GT Brembo, 3.73, all weather mats, rear parking sensor, Gibson Stainless Axlebacks. 300a. Rousch takeoff leather interior, Boss 302 steering wheel. Mustang Club of MD.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Excellent post my friend. You did your homework on this one and shared it very well. I think I will do this as I do a lot of night driving and my eyes are not getting any better at over 50 years old.... I did change the bulbs to Silverstars awhile back and adjusted the beam up a bit which really helped. This will be icing on the cake. I do like the light of HIDS on the road but can't stand the look of them in the car so they are not an option for me. Excellent post again my friend....! Regards

Grabber Blue 2012 GT Mustang, 6 spd manual, basic model 300A, no options, charcoal black interior. On order 04/21/11. VIN received 05/26/11. Build date 06/08/11, delivered to dealer 06/21/11. Picked up 6/29 after black stripes installed by dealer. Roush axle backs installed.... Added OEM strut tower brace..... On the road......!
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo325 View Post
All I can say is I drove plenty fast at night when all cars had sealed beams. Then halogens came out and they were like - balls. My acura has xenon lighting and i do love them.I just think people make too big a deal re the hid's. Amazing I didn't die driving all those years at night with sealed beams.
I think a person's view of the stock headlights depends on what they were driving previously. If they were driving an older Mustang, they probably feel these newer cars are as good or better than the older models. If they were driving something with HIDs, or better Halogens, they probably think the stock headlights are/were atrocious.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo325 View Post
It could be as simple as your eyes were much better back then.

I remember driving with sealed beams too.

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Oh yeh, did I ever tell you guys about my first car...? A 66 VW bug and it was like driving by candlelight at night.

Grabber Blue 2012 GT Mustang, 6 spd manual, basic model 300A, no options, charcoal black interior. On order 04/21/11. VIN received 05/26/11. Build date 06/08/11, delivered to dealer 06/21/11. Picked up 6/29 after black stripes installed by dealer. Roush axle backs installed.... Added OEM strut tower brace..... On the road......!
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

2nd this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Sheesh!

All you young guys are really spoiled.

You should all have to drive a car from the early 1950's or before that came with a 6 volt electrical system, then you'd really know what weak headlights are.

I may get around to doing this big wire and relay kit some day but it's WAY down on my list of things to do to this car.
I've found no problems with my three month old 2012. Not even on my radar for an upgrade, maybe some silverstars next month. But not in a hurry....

2012 Mustang Base V6 Coupe, 6 spd Automatic, 3.31 Rear Axle, Kona Blue
JeffOden

Great write up OP. Amazon is now $41.80 with free shipping so I'd defenitly spend the extra $1.81 over ebay. Really thinking about doing this one...
GT Member

So can anyone who did this post up before/after pics????

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Pics are tough to do, exposure compensation, camera settings, etc, can drastically alter reality.
I can say after having used it quite a bit now, it is improved.

Hey, if you don't like it, your only out $40 bucks and less than an hour! But: if you do not like the lights as they came from the factory, it certainly helps.

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
Apprentice

Thanks. Has anybody tried this in combination with the Silverstar Ultras yet? I have the Silverstar ultras and am considering this now to bring the most light out of them.

GRABBER BLUE 2012 Mustang 3.7L Cyclone V6 built for me on September 7, 2011 | "Mayhem" Performance Package
Gone but not forgotten:
Silver 2003 Mustang 3.8L V6
Ford Contour 2.5L V6 SE Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page