Hate OEM halogin headlights? $45 CURE. - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

It will definitely make any halogen light brighter. IIRC, silverstars have a longevity issue, and this may exacerbate that. Have no idea for sure though.

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member

I finally installed this mod today with Philips X-treme Power H13 bulbs. I also hit up Radio Shack for some 3/4" split cable tubing for that stock look. Haven't had a chance to really test them out yet, but will do so tonight. I do believe this is the best option for those of us with Halogens who don't want to upgrade to HIDs. I'm not going to use higher power 80-100W bulbs because that might cause a heating issue inside the housing, along with blinding on coming traffic.

A big thumbs up to Deadstick for posting about this great mod.

PS - Daniel Stern recommended to me the Philips X-treme bulbs because they don't cause the glare Silver Stars & other extra white or blue bulbs do.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick View Post
So today, before I did the mod, I measured the voltage at the light bulb (by fishing very thin krynar wire to connector and pinching it between bulb and connector) with the engine running.
Battery: 14.42 volts.
low beam at the bulb: 12.48 volts.
high beam at the bulb: 12.73 volts.

I then installed the relay harness.
Amazon.com: Putco 239008HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring H13-9008 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay: Automotive

After the install, I got these numbers:
Battery: 14.43
Low Beam: 14.14
highbeam: 14.12

Significantly better!

Here is a voltage vs lumens from Danial Stern:
10.5V : 510 lumens
11.0V : 597 lumens
11.5V : 695 lumens
12.0V : 803 lumens
12.5V : 923 lumens
12.8V : 1000 lumens ←Rated output voltage
13.0V : 1054 lumens
13.5V : 1198 lumens
14.0V : 1356 lumens ←Rated life voltage
14.5V : 1528 lumens

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
According to your calculations the low beams picked up about 433 lumens, about a 47% iimprovement. I didn't measure the voltage at the bulbs, but after driving the car for a week or so the improvement is obvious. The Philips Xtreme-Power bulbs are much better than Silverstars too.

I recommend this mod to anybody who has a 2011+ with halogens. Night vision will be much improved.

Apprentice

What shipping service did amazon.com use? Did they ship via UPS, Fedex, or USPS?
MACH I Member

USPS

After looking through this thread nobody really mentioned that the harness plugs into the OEM passenger side headlight bulb plug. Two connectors and wiring are for the 30 Amp relays (high/low beams), that provide the battery power to the bulbs. Two red wires connect the relays to the battery. All in all an easy install with the chassis ground needing to be lengthened for the passenger bulb as per Deadstick's review. Like stated earlier in this thread, using dielectric grease is a good idea on the bulbs & relays to minimize corrosion. The extra OEM connector for the drivers side bulb can be wrapped & tucked away for the same reason.

Beast3.7

How are these holding up? Any premature bulb failures or anything?

Sent from the iPhone's killer's killer!
MACH I Member

Mine are holding up fine. I'm using the Philips X-treme bulbs which are rated to OEM specifications (55-65W). The difference is the upgraded harness enables the bulbs to operate at the full 55-65W rating.

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post
How are these holding up? Any premature bulb failures or anything?
Sylvania Silverstar Ultras tend to have a reduced life because they have a thinner filament. Sylvania warranties them for 1 year and they quite often burn out not long after that time frame. I still have a set that I've used, along with one from Luminics. Neither will I use again. My night vision is much better now, the big improvement was a combination of the upgraded harness, and Philips Xtreme bulbs.

I didn't attribute my inadequate night vision at the time in part to the ultra white bulbs I was using until after researching how to improve my halogens.

PONY Member

I've been driving our old 96 Bronco a lot lately. It has the factpry headlights with halogen bulbs that have been replaced a couple of times with ordinary halogens (not silverstar, etc..).

I have no problem driving the Bronco at night compared to the 2011 mustang or even our 2012 F150 with factory halogens. The newer reflectors just dont work as well as the ones in the Bronco.

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenpb View Post
Mine are holding up fine. I'm using the Philips X-treme bulbs which are rated to OEM specifications (55-65W). The difference is the upgraded harness enables the bulbs to operate at the full 55-65W rating.

How often do people flash their high beams at you? Strange that lately I've been getting "flashed" for my stock halogens. Could be due to the area where I'm at and a large percentage of country bumpkins, I don't know. Pissess me off to no end though.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

MACH I Member

I don't get flashed. Basically what this mod does is enable the bulbs to operate at their rated power output (55-65W).

Your lamp in the living room has a large enough gauged cord so a 100W bulb will operate at 100W. It will not exceed that power rating no matter how large the lamp wire. But if that lamp wire is 50-75% smaller in diameter, the amount of current to the bulb will be reduced, the bulb will be noticeably dimmer and not be operating at 100W. Similar to comparing a garden hose to a fire hose, the thicker fire hose is going to produce more gallons per minute than the thinner garden hose. In this case the thicker gauged wire produces more current enabling the headlight bulbs to operate at their full potential, something they weren't doing with the smaller gauged stock wiring.

This is the way the car should have come new.

You might be getting flashed if you're using Ultra's or other ultra white bulbs that produce a lot of glare. If your bulbs are stock and you're getting flashed then yes, country bumpkins is the answer. lol

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenpb View Post
I don't get flashed. Basically what this mod does is enable the bulbs to operate at their rated power output (55-65W).

Your lamp in the living room has a large enough gauged cord so a 100W bulb will operate at 100W. It will not exceed that power rating no matter how large the lamp wire, but if that lamp cord is 50-75% smaller in thickness, the amount of current to the bulb will be reduced, and the bulb will not operate at 100W. Similar to comparing a garden hose to a fire hose, the thicker fire hose is going to produce a more gallons per minute than the thinner garden hose. In this case the thicker gauged wire produces more current enabling the headlight bulbs to operate at their full potential, something they weren't doing with the smaller gauged stock wiring.

This is the way the car should have come new.
I understand. In the end your lights are brighter. That would be my only concern with making our stockers brighter in that particular reflective housing, and whether other drivers mistake them for high beams. I think that country driving tends to be the worst for getting flashed, because your eyes are adjusted for the darker environment, and are more sensitive to oncoming light.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcat View Post
How often do people flash their high beams at you? Strange that lately I've been getting "flashed" for my stock halogens. Could be due to the area where I'm at and a large percentage of country bumpkins, I don't know. Pissess me off to no end though.
I get this so much that I keep my hand on the switch to show them the real brights.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1120 View Post
I get this so much that I keep my hand on the switch to show them the real brights.
I know exactly what you mean. I do the same thing and feel sad when I miss zapping them back!

PONY Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenStarke View Post
DDMtuning.com. Lifetime warrantied HID kits for <$50 shipped.

Get 4500k 35 watt and call it a day.
Uhm... which kit ??? http://ddmtuning.com/Content/HID-Installation

What type/model bulbs are in 2012 Mustangs ?

I assume from the above comments that Ford upgrade 2013 Mustangs with HID headlights ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page