For those of you who bought a used rental Mustang: How reliable is it? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Hertz used to have a place up in Raleigh on US-70 a couple of miles from Crabtree Mall. I never got a Mustang from them, but we did buy a 6 month old 1999 Pontiac Grand Am with 18k miles from them and it was spotless, no issues. My little brother got a 98 Prizim from there and it was the same way.

I'm not sure about getting a high performance car from a place like that, though. Really only because of the way people use them up (constant hard acceleration, braking, etc). I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but it would give me pause, anyway.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Who saw the Top Gear episode where they bought used cars and took them to some forensic lab? They found semen, snot, and even traces of feces in the interiors.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
Rookie

Hello, I just bought a 2011 Candy Red Premium V6 Convertible from a private dealer and it was a CA Hertz rental. It seems in great condition overall, looks fantastic inside and out, so far so good for the last two weeks. I bought an ESP from Ford. It had 40K miles which does seem high for a 2011 but it's been in service since mid 2010. Cost was $20k plus tax/lic. I was hesitant but I called some of the dealers customers and they were all very happy with theirs. It was 5K under franchise dealers and 3k under CARMAX so I thought we got a good deal. They seem to be selling higher out here in CA. I love it! Will keep you posted in the future. 2012's were even higher. Great deal to Clueby in Mo on the 2012 with 24K mi on it!

PONY Member

I treat rental cars like crap.

You know what the fastest car in the world is?

Your friends rental car

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, 3.73's,
Hotchkis springs, 18x9.5,18x11 Forgestar CF5's, Lethal o/r H-Pipe, JLT CAI, BBR tune, Hotchkis panhard, UMI LCA relocation brackets, BMR LCA's, MGW, GT500 strut mounts, KYB struts, GT500 ab's, Steeda motor mounts, NX plate

2003 Mach 1-R.I.P
2003 Mach 1-Procharged*SOLD*
GT Member

Every person I have ever known that rented a Muscle car... V6 or V8 has roasted on and stomped the car out. Rentals are driven hard. The company's know this. I assume it's one of the many reasons they sell the cars after 1-3 years with low miles.

With that said, I purchased my car new and it sees it's fair share of wide open throttle, burns outs here and there too. But, at the same time I keep my car show rom clean, I don't smoke in it, it's garaged, waxed and I never treat it like a red-headed step child...

Which one would you rather buy? I'll skip the rental car. They never seen to be that great being sold used anyway.

Guess which rentals are off-road capable? ALL OF 'EM!!!

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Banned

I would never buy a rental mustang! They are rented just to bag, and they are treated like crap. I couldn't care less if the Interior was in good shape. Every rental car I have driven has been driven way harder than I drive my cars.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
I would never buy a rental mustang! They are rented just to bag, and they are treated like crap. I couldn't care less if the Interior was in good shape. Every rental car I have driven has been driven way harder than I drive my cars.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Hell yes. ^^^ Well said.

Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I had this debate with myself... a $30,000 daily rental GT or a brand new V6 for the same price..

I went w/ the v6.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
Who saw the Top Gear episode where they bought used cars and took them to some forensic lab? They found semen, snot, and even traces of feces in the interiors.
I'm laughing just thinking about making a reply to this one.

2012 GT. Black. 300A, 55D.
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapfenstreich View Post
I'm laughing just thinking about making a reply to this one.
No new car smell there. ...

2012 V6 MT-82 Premium Convertible Kona Blue/Saddle /Pony /Comfort / Security/Rev Sens / Boot Cover / BAMA tune / Flowmaster Force II axlebacks / AIRAID CAI
Ordered 12-8-11 Build 1-24-12 Delivered 2-10-12 Home 2-11-12
GT Member

I've never seen a V8 in any rental Mustang/Camaro/Challenger.

Used to be able to tell the rentals from the door rub strip not sure if they do that on 10's - up.

I rented a '06 Mustang V6 coupe automatic, it's what got me thinking of buying one, 5 months later I bought my '08.

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I used to work in rental. I did this for almost 3 years...one of the shadiest jobs I experienced. Here's a piece of info that is disturbing and why I would never buy a rental fleet vehicle: These cars aren't insured. In CA, if you have $35,000 to set aside with the DMV, you do not need insurance. Why is this the most scary part? Because if the rental car gets damaged, it will almost certainly not make it onto a Carfax report. Repairs are handled as an operating expense so an insurance claim on a damaged vehicle is never made...at least that's how it was done at Enterprise where I worked. We were "self-insured".

If the accidents don't scare you, consider what has already been mentioned. These are rentals. Even though they can cycle these out of the fleet within a year at relatively low miles, i.e. 1 year at 9,900 miles, these 9,900 miles could been split up by anywhere between 100 (conservative estimate) to 200 (aggressive estimate) renters over the course of that one year. Not all will treat this car like their own. Even rental employees took the opportunity to "test drive" these vehicles. Maybe 80 out of the 100 babied the rental, but then you can only imagine what the remaining 20 would've done.

Here's another little known rental tidbit that nobody talks about: Maintenance. We were required to follow a generic maintenance schedule. At the time, oil changes were every 3,000 miles. There were times when either the car was out on a long-term rental, or if rental branches were really busy during the week that these cars didn't always make their maintenance schedule. For some cars this is OK because scheduled maintenance as per owners' manual allowed it to go past 3,000 miles, but this is not the case for every car.

Personally, knowing what I know, I would never buy a car from a rental fleet...or probably any fleet for that matter.

if you do find yourself in a position where you have to buy one, you will need to ask the right questions:

1) Request accident history - What repairs were made to the car. What's difficult about it is that you have to take the rental companies' word here and there is no source for you to validate their answers.

2) Request maintenance history - Rental companies keep accurate records with regards to maintenance. They should easily be able to provide it to you. Compare the maintenance intervals to a factory maintenance schedule for that particular car. You can find an owners manual for almost every common late model car online nowadays.

2012 Mustang GT, Ingot Silver, 6M, 3.73, Brembo.
Whipple 2.9, Flowmaster AT Cat Back 817500.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Not many rental fleets have GTs, most are V6 models with few options. They are maintained professionally, and most are a good value.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
They are maintained professionally, and most are a good value.
Yeah... I have a hard time swallowing that pill.

Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekStangGT View Post
Many, many drivers... farting... in the car. I could never own one.
Man, if that fart manages to linger for that long, there's a SERIOUS problem with that renter!

I wouldn't own a fart funk-tified rental either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page