For those of you who bought a used rental Mustang: How reliable is it? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmr2000 View Post
I've never seen a V8 in any rental Mustang
Hertz has the 5.0 rentals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Not many rental fleets have GTs, most are V6 models with few options. They are maintained professionally, and most are a good value.
Read the post above this one (#27). Former rentals are cheap, but the value is subjective.

2012 Mustang GT, Ingot Silver, 6M, 3.73, Brembo.
Whipple 2.9, Flowmaster AT Cat Back 817500.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
Hertz has the 5.0 rentals.
only in what there what is it called.. excitement line of cars?

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT6 | 3.73's | Security Pkg | BREMBO | Comfort
Installed JLT oil catch can, Tint, Beltronics RX45/shifters

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangChris810 View Post
Yeah... I have a hard time swallowing that pill.
Then don't buy one. Take a chance on some school kid that bought a car when they got their first job before realizing what the insurance payments were, then neglected standard maintenance on it, or performed it in a substandard fashion, or hacked up the dash and trunk installing a super loud stereo.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Then don't buy one. Take a chance on some school kid that bought a car when they got their first job before realizing what the insurance payments were, then neglected standard maintenance on it, or performed it in a substandard fashion, or hacked up the dash and trunk installing a super loud stereo.
Do you know this by personal experience?

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashard340 View Post
Do you know this by personal experience?
Yes. I remember a friend of a friend who had a loaded T-top Buick in the late 70's. After he figured out that he couldn't afford the payments and insurance, he started abusing the car. After he figured out that wasn't going to get him out of the situation, he totaled the car on purpose.

My uncle used to work for Ford and back then a lot of the execs had new company cars on 9 month rotations. Some of them used to brag how many miles they put on before changing the oil.

I worked with a guy who ran his engine out of oil and seized the motor, even though he checked his oil regularly. Unfortunately he was under the impression that the transmission dipstick was the crankcase.

When I sold my '98 GT to a couple they didn't bother to negotiate my price down. The reason? Mine was the tenth or so car that they looked at, and the only one that wasn't all hacked up with poorly done modifications.

I could go on with this but one final: when I bought my current Mustang every one I saw was modded in some dumb way with, and the one I chose was no exception. I spent more time fixing those problems than I did replacing the suspension.

Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have seen first hand how rentals were treated and maintained. At least you can carfax a single owner Mustang owned by a teenager. You can't do that with a rental. You won't know how many times it's been in the shop for a new bumper, dings and various other repairs that you wouldn't want on a car that you plan on paying thousands of dollars for.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You guys are such spoilsports! You're gonna talk someone out of the thrill, the mystery & the fun of a pseudo-new car with only 9,741 miles inflicted on it by 114 different renters in the past 183 days of service.

Think of what they might miss out on, if they don't buy that "nearly new" Budget V6 with a mysterious dark patch on the passenger's seat... You know, the one that smells like a mixture of baby wipes, Mentos and Taco Bell? It's only bad when you leave it in the sun with the windows rolled up. And how often ya gonna do that?

Is this the same car that did 147 miles on I-65 with the e-brake squealing away when that nice marketing gal from Rochester was taking a conference call on her Blackberry? And think of the happy memories left by the newlyweds on their way to Philly, you know, the ones who squirted a little personal lubricant on the tach? And the radio. And the e-brake handle. And straight into the cup holders too?

No, I want the red 'vert rented by the family that did a three day jaunt to Orlando and back, the nice folks who somehow spot-welded half a bag of Skittles to the front carpet, after dousing the back seat with a liter of Code Red. You can't even see that dent in the trunk, and the "executive sales team" threw in some brand-new floor mats: it's a freakin' steal.

Yeah that's the car I want.

2012 GT. Black. 300A, 55D.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'm not saying OP shouldn't rent one. I'm saying he shouldn't spend twenty-some odd thousand $'s on one that was previously a rental.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashard340 View Post
I'm not saying OP shouldn't rent one. I'm saying he shouldn't spend twenty-some odd thousand $'s on one that was previously a rental.
Especially considering that Hertz and Budget buy those V6 renta-stangs for well under $20K a pop.

2012 GT. Black. 300A, 55D.
GT Member

Quote:
Or I can continue buying new ones for under invoice and having the best of both worlds.

Persoanlly, IMO if you think you want a car that is only 1-2 years old with 0-20000 miles, you should just look at a new one. Even the 2013 GT's are selling for invoice minus incentives. If you can find a 2012 still they are dirt cheap. A used rental just doesn't do it for me, hell any used car just doesn't do it for me. Not in this new day and age of cheap new cars.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangChris810 View Post
Or I can continue buying new ones for under invoice and having the best of both worlds.

Persoanlly, IMO if you think you want a car that is only 1-2 years old with 0-20000 miles, you should just look at a new one. Even the 2013 GT's are selling for invoice minus incentives. If you can find a 2012 still they are dirt cheap. A used rental just doesn't do it for me, hell any used car just doesn't do it for me. Not in this new day and age of cheap new cars.
My experience with owning new cars and trading them prior to 60 or 80k miles in the last 25 years or so is that the cost/ mile for me is probably cheaper than the next owner. So, no, I'm not an advocate of a 20k mile car instead of a new one, unless you're really tight on cash and just can't swing that last few thousand, or your credit sucks.

To me if you're going to buy used buy well used like the 05 that I have now for my daughter's DD. My first "mod" was correcting the myriad problems with previous mods. If that had been a car direct from Hertz I wouldn't have had to do that.

Second was a new suspension and third was new upholstery- both very inexpensive. Mine was a one-owner but if the first owner had been Hertz I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

Apprentice

I bought mine used from a dealer that had purchased it from a "fleet" service. I saved over $14,000 off the new sticker. It was "cheap" AND has value. Other than a small scrape on the front bumper you'd be hard pressed to know it wasn't brand new. It was one year old with 24,000 miles on it and had an original sticker of over $34k..2011 V6 Premium Vert. To say it has no value just because it was previously a rental is ridiculous. At least rentals have had SOME maintenance done on them. I know private individuals who have NEVER changed their oil or any other routine maintenance. I don't what you all do in rentals? When it's necessary for me to get one its usually for an all highway trip to another city within about 4-6 hours away for business purposes. I don't abuse it any more than my own personal vehicle. I drive it to a destination and drive it back home.

2011 V6 Convertible, Premium, Red Candy, White side stripes, Pony badges on fenders, auto headlights, lower fogs coming soon.
Apprentice

go to youtube. type "rental car abuse" in the search option box, and then sit back and enjoy. there is a great selection of rental mustang videos to choose from as well.
Rookie

Rentals are so neglected its a joke.
Theres a reason why they're dirt cheap.

I'd rather buy used from a dealer, pay a little more knowing how many owners there were.

Think about it, how many people do you think drove for those so called "only a few thousand miles"

You're probably buying into a car that hundreds of people drove and cared less about.

http://youtu.be/qmk5W4dura0

2013 Mustang GT Track Pack w/ Recaro Seats
Bama 93R Tune, Steeda CAI, Hearthrob Muffler Delete, H&R SuperSport Springs and more to come......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page