For those of you who bought a used rental Mustang: How reliable is it? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I absolutely kill any rental car I drive, not gonna lie. Usually it's a piece of **** car so imagine how much a rental mustang has been floored because they are relatively sporty. I wouldn't ever buy one

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie
S197 Member

My job requires me to travel fairly regularly with a rental car and I've gotten to know the guy at Avis that I rent from. I asked him how they decide to turnover cars as they had a 2011 GT that I wanted (Avis and hertz stock v8 mustangs, camaros, vetts, etc. they are just in high volume areas) and he informed me it is resale value based. Once they reach a certain depreciation level goodbye. Makes sense and explains why they have the cheap four bangers for so long. When your purchase price starts low, it takes that much longer to drop to a certain threshold to sell.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
I've always driven my cars hard, but I always maintained them well. That's pretty much how rental cars are treated.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels

Apprentice

Rental, or otherwise...

Bought my '93 LX 5.0 5MT Hatch in 2001 with 121k on the clock...
Sold it in 2006, running strong with 223k miles.

Replacement:
- Heater core
- Water pump

Bought my 2006 Monte Carlo SS NEW in 2006.

Replacement:

- TPMS at *1000* miles!
- Between 37k and 38k: alternator, A/C compressor, waterpump
All big $$$ repairs, due to the transverse mounted 5.3 [FWD].

'Nuff said!

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It's already nerve wrecking thinking about buying a used car and let alone a rental car!? Lol! NEVER! no doubt some might have good luck but I wouldn't want to increase the chance of having to deal with a problem. I rather buy a one owner 50k miles used car than buying a 30k miles used car that hundreds of peoples driven.

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Burnett View Post
I definitely would not want to buy a car that has been heavily farted in. This should be reported on the Carfax.
That could be the least of it's problems, ROFL.

Imagine dropping your iPod and having to reach deep down into the dark void underneath the seat. Bad enough in your own car, but in a former rental, naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssty.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
PONY Member

Do not buy a former rental car. The savings doesn't justify the abuse the car has endured. Think about the way people treat things that aren't theirs.

2012 Mustang GT: Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger; Steeda UCA & LCA; BBK Long Tube Headers & x pipe; 3.73, Brembo, Roush 18X10, Nitto 555R Drag Radial 305/40/18, Magnaflow Cat Back. I am just lucky my wife let me buy and modify this car.
PONY Member

It's like buying a used police car. You have to assume that every mile driven was drive hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page