For those of you who bought a used rental Mustang: How reliable is it? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

For those of you who bought a used rental Mustang: How reliable is it?

I was just reading a couple threads from people who bought a used Mustang that were part of rental fleets.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...nvertible.html
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...tions-pls.html

The threads are a couple years old, which makes me wonder if those users have had any issues with their cars since then. Would any of you who have bought a rental like to comment on how reliable your car has been a couple of years later?

It's of an interest to me because I'm considering buying a rental Mustang from a company like Enterprise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012
Apprentice

You are making a smart choice if the mileage is low. I have had excellent luck with 'fleet return' cars that had less than 12K miles, and enjoyed the $5,000 savings.

I would not consider a 'fleet return' that had a bad CarFax, or had high mileage.

I almost bought a CarMax fleet returned 2012 Mustang Convertible that had 9,000 miles and asking price of no-dicker $22,488, but found this lightly used 600 mile example for only $1,400 more.

If you are in doubt of the rental car, then negotiate an extended warranty for free, or very low cost as part of your deal.

The Mustang fleet returns are the best bang for buck out there.

Let us know what you decide!

2012 Base Mustang Convertible
2009 Grand Marquis
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012
Apprentice

I should add that I have owned four fleet return cars: 1990 Crown Vic, 1991 LeBaron Convertible, 2001 Impala, and 2009 Grand Marquise. All had less than 10K miles whne I purchased.

The LeBaron actually went 21 years and 144K miles until last Dec when I bought the Mustang. It was the best car I had ever owned.

The Impala was a great car until exactly 89K miles, in which EVERYTHING failed from the PassLock sensor to the PCM to the BCM to intake gaskets to radiator, and I could go on and on. It was my first and last Government Motors built vehicle.

The Crown Vic was bullet proof well into 100K miles.

We will see how the Grand Marquise turns out, but so far, so good.

2009 Grand Marquis

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Great thread!

Just one question: What is a "Low Mileage Fleet Return"? (In other words, why would the rental car company return the car when it has low miles?)

Yeah -- that's just one question.

2009 Mustang GT Premium: Grabber Orange with custom black paint | 5 Speed Manual | 3.73 Gears | Custom CarFX Tune | Steeda Cold Air Intake | Steeda Axle Back Exhaust | Push To Start | Hurst Competition Plus Short Shifter | Rear Window Louvers | Window Tint | 8-inch Shorty Antenna | Parnelli Jones Race Number | ELEANOR Style Honeycomb Grille | ELEANOR Style Quarter Window Louvers | ELEANOR Vanity Plate
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
Great thread!

Just one question: What is a "Low Mileage Fleet Return"? (In other words, why would the rental car company return the car when it has low miles?)

Yeah -- that's just one question.
dont they usually swap out their cars every 1-2 years anyway?

Current 2012 Lexus RX350 & 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Previous
2012 Grabber Blue, GT Prem, Sold 8/20/2012

New Build:
2014 Ingot Silver Focus ST ST2 W/ Moonroof and Blue Recaro Inserts: Ordered 05/22/2014
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012
Apprentice

Don't know much about the rental car business, but Iwould assume it depends on the deals they get for replacement cars vs the inventory/miles.

My Grand Marquis was actually a Fleet Lease vehicle. Ford leased it to an employee in the LA area. At 12 months and 9K miles it was returned.

The CarMax fleet return 2012 Mustang Convertible I was considering was listed as a rental fleet, and at 10 months and 9K miles it was sold at auction to CarMax.

The Impala and Crown Vic I bought were part of a real estate company's fleet. They were 14 months old and had about 9K miles on them when I purchased the cars.

My LeBaron was part of chrysler's 'program cars'. It was used by a Chrysler employee for 10 months and 5K miles.

My point is all of the above cars were purchased at a >$5,000 savings for an 'almost new' car with lots of factory warranty left. It was a great value.

2009 Grand Marquis
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012
PONY Member

To each their own, but personally, I would never, ever, ever buy a car that used to be a rental, LET ALONE a sports car. It may only have >10k miles, but you know those are hard miles. Extra wear on the brakes, rotating assembly, clutch, transmission, differential. Many, many drivers, smoking, eating, farting, spitting in the car. I could never own one.

There's a reason there is the "drive it like a rental" phrase out there.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang GT MT82 - 401A, Brembos, 3.73s, Reverse Sensors/Security System, GT500 Axle Backs, Raxiom Projectors with 5k HIDs, Eibach Pro-Kit, Koni STR.Ts, Ford Racing Strut Mounts, Eibach Camber Bolts, BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2s 275/35/19

Awaiting Install: JHR Shifter Bracket
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012
Apprentice

I'd be hesistant to buy a mustang rental. As for other cars, normal maintenance routines are getting more and more forgiving. A properly designed and built car should easily last 80K if not a lot more without problems.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have purchased 2 cars in the past that were fleet vehicles to use as my daily drivers both had less than 20,000 miles never had any problems with them.I would buy again if I had to.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgor93 View Post
The threads are a couple years old, which makes me wonder if those users have had any issues with their cars since then. Would any of you who have bought a rental like to comment on how reliable your car has been a couple of years later?
I posted in that first thread. Still have mine and it's going strong.

The only issue I've had is the driver seat lumbar support broke. But that happens to Mustangs in general. Not just rentals.

The problem is that there is a spring in the seat mechanism that has a bad heat treatment, and the spring breaks over time. I just opened up the seat back and replaced the spring connector with a hose clamp. Works fine now.

Everything else has been great.

2007 Satin Silver V6 / Explorer Express X-Charger #67 - Xtreme 2.6 - INTERCOOLED!
AEM, MSD, JBA, Zabteck, FRPP X, Dynomax bullets, Pype Bombs, J&M, Steeda, Tokico d-spec, H&R Race, Eibach, Shelby Fays2, Shaftmasters, 8.8, t-lok, 3.73, OE Wheels Cobra R 18x9/10, Nitto 555 255/285, Hawk HPS, GT/CS F/R fascia
Apprentice

Mine was a former rental car that was purchased wholesale by a dealer. 2011 V6 Premium Convertible. Bought it last October with around 24,000 miles on it. Except for one spot on the front bumper it looked brand new. The dealer detailed it spotless. Interior was as new. No smells, stains, etc. They had another identical car (color, options, everything) that had less miles but interior was a little worn and wasn't as "fresh". Anyway, we paid $21,500 out the door INCLUDING a 100,000 mile Ford ESP Extended Warranty and all dealer fees. Candy red, auto, and appearance package all added slightly to it's value. Original sticker price was a little over $34k.
Only problem we have had was the airbag light. Module was replaced under warranty. We have about 38k miles on it now.

2011 V6 Convertible, Premium, Red Candy, White side stripes, Pony badges on fenders, auto headlights, lower fogs coming soon.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekStangGT View Post
To each their own, but personally, I would never, ever, ever buy a car that used to be a rental, LET ALONE a sports car. It may only have >10k miles, but you know those are hard miles. Extra wear on the brakes, rotating assembly, clutch, transmission, differential. Many, many drivers, smoking, eating, farting, spitting in the car. I could never own one.

There's a reason there is the "drive it like a rental" phrase out there.
+1 especially with the GTs, where you can be sure some folks just rented it so they could step on it and do crazy stuff...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekStangGT View Post
Extra wear on the brakes, rotating assembly, clutch, transmission, differential. Many, many drivers, smoking, eating, farting, spitting in the car. I could never own one. .
I definitely would not want to buy a car that has been heavily farted in. This should be reported on the Carfax.

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Burnett View Post
I definitely would not want to buy a car that has been heavily farted in. This should be reported on the Carfax.
Lol, it may sound immature, but it would definitely be a concern of mine!

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang GT MT82 - 401A, Brembos, 3.73s, Reverse Sensors/Security System, GT500 Axle Backs, Raxiom Projectors with 5k HIDs, Eibach Pro-Kit, Koni STR.Ts, Ford Racing Strut Mounts, Eibach Camber Bolts, BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2s 275/35/19

Awaiting Install: JHR Shifter Bracket
Apprentice

I would say the perfect recipe for a fleet return car would be less than 24K miles, and negotiate a extended warranty as part of the deal.

You have really nothing to lose and lots of savings to gain.

2009 Grand Marquis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page