Autolamp control - yes or no? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Autolamp control - yes or no?

Hi all,

my 2011 V6 Mustang has not autolamp feature, that means that the light switch has only 3 positions: Zero / Parking / Low Beam. It also has no fog lights.

I was thinking to buy these fog lights: OEM Style V6 Mustang Fog Light kit (10-12 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

The fog light kit comes with a new light switch to replace the stock one (see pics on the website linked), that includes also the "Auto headlamp" position.

I was assuming that I cannot use the "autolamp" feature by means of simply installing this new switch, because I didn't have it beforehand... but then I thought: I DO have some sort of "light sensor" in the car, which is the one that changes color to my dashboard (white during the day, colored in the night and/or under a tunnel).

So what... will I be able to use the Autolamp feature if I put on this fog light kit with the new switch? If yes, how should I connect this switch to make it work?

"When in doubt, flat out!" (Colin McRae - 1968/2007)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012
PONY Member

These are good lights. I had them on my 2011 sixer. The autolamp feature will work with installation of the new switch. BTW these are assembled by Starkey Products and you can get them directly from Starkey at 2010-2012 V6 Mustang OEM Style Fog Lights Kit

I ordered mine from them directly in the past (same price as AM), their service was great - they even helped to find me a replacement bulb after I took a rock in one the week after install.

2012 Mustang GT Brembo, 3.73, all weather mats, rear parking sensor, Gibson Stainless Axlebacks. 300a. Rousch takeoff leather interior, Boss 302 steering wheel. Mustang Club of MD.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012
MACH I Member

You can also buy just the OEM switch to make them autos for under $30.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the hints

I think I'll go for the fog lights kit as I need them here in autumn/winter. I checked the website of Starkey Products but they offer the same price of AM, so I'll probably go with AM and order few more stuff saving on shipping costs.

The product description and feature list is definitely more complete on the website of Starkey Products though... it would have saved this thread if I knew about their website:

The OEM Ford switch included replaces your factory switch and gives your vehicle the Auto Headlamps feature. Auto Headlamps uses a sensor already installed in your car to automatically turn your head lights ON and OFF based on the light conditions outside (when enabled with switch).

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thumbs up Nothing Against AM, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68 View Post
Thanks for the hints

I think I'll go for the fog lights kit as I need them here in autumn/winter. I checked the website of Starkey Products but they offer the same price of AM, so I'll probably go with AM and order few more stuff saving on shipping costs.

The product description and feature list is definitely more complete on the website of Starkey Products though... it would have saved this thread if I knew about their website:
Nothing against AM, but I just had a VERY POSITIVE customer service experience with Starkey's. I got a call from them concerned that my order was not legit. What flagged it was:
- Billing and Shipping Addresses were different (Shipping to my neighbor since I'm on vacation)
- The order was placed in a different state than my addresses
I got a call yesterday afternoon about the order and they (Jason, the CSR) stated it was flagged for the three reason's above. Once I told him I was on vacation visiting family, he was ok, I'll put the order through. I've never had a company do that, so Starkey has a very good rating in my book.
My two cents this AM. Order from Starkey, they really stand behind what they sell.

2012 Mustang Base V6 Coupe, 6 spd Automatic, 3.31 Rear Axle, Kona Blue
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Another question... Or maybe two

Are the lights turning off, when you remove the keys and the switch is on the "auto lamp" position?

Are the parking lights switching on when the car is on and the switch in the auto lamp position?

The reason I ask this is that we must always keep some day light on, here in Europe, when driving on the highway. All my other cars have this kind of auto light behaviour, so I often forget to switch the lights on in the Mustang...

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68 View Post
Another question... Or maybe two

Are the lights turning off, when you remove the keys and the switch is on the "auto lamp" position?

Are the parking lights switching on when the car is on and the switch in the auto lamp position?

The reason I ask this is that we must always keep some day light on, here in Europe, when driving on the highway. All my other cars have this kind of auto light behaviour, so I often forget to switch the lights on in the Mustang...
Your two questions:

the lights will stay on after you remove the keys as long as the switch is in the autolamp setting. The lights will go off eventually - I believe they are programmable to stay on up to 60 seconds. IIRC the lights come with instructions to program the delay.

The switch uses the light sensor on the top of the dash (that little half sphere thing), so in bright day light in auto setting, no exterior lights will come on. You'd have to manually turn the switch to parking light or headlight mode.

Disclaimer though I don't know if European mustangs are equipped differently but I think that's how it would all work in the states.

Good luck with the install. The most difficult part is removing the plastic cover under the bumper so you can access the back of the face bar cover while laying on your back on the ground - or more correctly finding all the screws and lining it back up to re-install it. A pair of ramps will make all go much easier.

2012 Mustang GT Brembo, 3.73, all weather mats, rear parking sensor, Gibson Stainless Axlebacks. 300a. Rousch takeoff leather interior, Boss 302 steering wheel. Mustang Club of MD.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks again.

I had feared that the "autolamp" was only switching on/off the headlights... in the European cars, due to the highway regulations, the autolamp is generally activating some sort of "day lights" (usually led lights on newer cars).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo325 View Post
Disclaimer though I don't know if European mustangs are equipped differently but I think that's how it would all work in the states.
I don't think there's anything like "European Mustangs"... they all are US exports, like mine

As for the install, I think I'll visit a friend of mine who has a car repair workshop and is a Muscle car enthusiast I'll have to fight for him to let me pay his time!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012
Rookie

So I have a base 2012 v6 mustang without auto headlights. If i buy the SW6659 switch and install it will have auto headlights? Do all 2012 mustangs have the sensor?
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
So I have a base 2012 v6 mustang without auto headlights. If i buy the SW6659 switch and install it will have auto headlights? Do all 2012 mustangs have the sensor?
Yes & yes. /10char

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

Rookie

Thanks, and have a good holiday weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page