Has anyone had "protector" applied to their car? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Has anyone had "protector" applied to their car?

I am the proud owner of a 2011 Mustang GT Premium Convertible. I am thinking of getting the "protector" applied to the car. It would protect the paint and the leather for seven years and would cost around $750.00. I live in Florida and between the sun and the lovebugs I am concerned about keeping the car pristine.

Has anyone had this (or a similar product) applied? If so, pros and cons?

Also, I am looking for floor mats. I want the silver pony and the red and silver GT logo. Does anyone know of a place where you can get more than one logo on the mats?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012
PONY Member

I'd at the very least inquire what specific product(s) they're using. Then go online and google it. As an extra measure, find a reputable paint/body shop in your area and ask them their opinion.

I'd say if you're a busy individual and don't have the time for quarterly full details on your paint....$750 is money well spent. However, if you do plan to spend some time giving your ride some TLC, I can pretty much guarantee a pristine and better protected finish can be had/maintained.....that is with the right products of course.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7 MT82
Airaid CAI, Flowmaster A-back, BBK ceramic shorties, black enkei raijin 18x8.5, Steeda ultralites/pro action dampers, whiteline PHB & brace
RJW Aggressor matte black stripes, GT bumper/CS valance/Saleen grille, AM black shift knob

It is only rarely that one can see in a little boy the promise of a man, but one can almost always see in a little girl the threat of a woman. ~Alexandre Dumas
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012
2006GTfan

Ripoff. The dealer tried selling me that when I bought my Mustang. I quickly declined it. I think there was another thread on here recently about it and someone who used to work as a porter at a dealer said they buy that stuff by the 55 gal drum and jack the price up.

Never buy stuff like this as well as any extended warranties. This is a cash cow for stealerships.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012
GT Member

Pure ripoff. Keep it clean and waxed.

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

There is some good product that can be applied and it does do what they say it does. After 30 years in the car bussiness I have seen many different products offered, some good and some not so good, however whatever name they use ( we call it xylon here) it is very much overpriced at $750.00. In your area I will recomend that you get it done, but there is a good amount of profit in that price, try them on for a price of around $250.00 and see what they say, as far as the other ones that say all of the sealents are garbage there are some products that with the warranty that you get are worth it.

2006 Torch Red GT 5 speed Black Leather Shaker Hood Scoop CAI black spoiler mirror covers shorty antenna black billett fuel door mustang license plate brackets
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit41264 View Post

Also, I am looking for floor mats. I want the silver pony and the red and silver GT logo. Does anyone know of a place where you can get more than one logo on the mats?
Try Lloyd's Mats.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012
2006GTfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
Try Lloyd's Mats.
Yea, the factory mats on these cars are trash. They're paper thin. Just lift it up and look on the backside of them.

When I bought my stang I made them tint the windows and put wheel locks on but forgot to ask them to throw in better mats.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Mats

Quote:
Try Lloyd's Mats.
Thanks,
I tried Lloyds Mats and I found some I like. I used the link on their site to go to a vendor but everytime I enter my vehicle information (2011 Mustang all other models) I only get options for the shelby. This is on all the sites that provide for Lloyds. Either there is something messed up in the options or big brother is watching me at work and doesn't want me getting mats. Anyone else have an issue
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012
PONY Member

Rip Off.........................
PONY Member

Quote:
Try Lloyd's Mats.
Or American Muscle, same price and free shipping to boot.

Black Mustang Pony Floor Mats (2011-2012+) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

2012 Black V6 Performance, Pony and Security Package, Tint, Take-off leather seats, GT500 Steering Wheel, JLT CAI, Auto Headlight switch, Quarter Win Louvers.
PONY Member

I put a lambskin condom over my ride. Works wonders, ladies.

2011 Black Mustang GT 5.0 Brick-Red
6SP Manual | 3.73 Gears | HIDs | Sec & Anti-Theft Pkg | Brembo GT Brake Pkg | Comfort Package | Shaker 1000 |
Mods:

2011 CS/GT Front Valance, 2011 GT500 Rear Diffuser, 2011 SVT GT500 Mufflers, 2011 Roush Side Skirts, 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler, Boss 302 Front Splitter, Speed Dawg custom shift-knob, Black Pony Emblem, 50% fog-light tint, Blacked Out Side Marks Front and Rear, 35% All-around Tint & Heon H10 fog-light bulbs
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimaniac View Post
I put a lambskin condom over my ride. Works wonders, ladies.
Good choice but i believe those rip, so use at your own risk.

2012 Black V6 Performance, Pony and Security Package, Tint, Take-off leather seats, GT500 Steering Wheel, JLT CAI, Auto Headlight switch, Quarter Win Louvers.
Apprentice

I had The Protector applied to my wife's 1988 Shelby Lancer when we bought it new (in 1989).

Since I take really good care of my cars, I can't say it helped one way, or another.

Generally, with these products, you get $30 worth of wax, and $720 worth of limited warranty that has so many loopholes you can never make a claim, anyhow.

I'd say skip it and keep your money.

2012 Base Mustang Convertible
2009 Grand Marquis
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypto View Post
Or American Muscle, same price and free shipping to boot.

Black Mustang Pony Floor Mats (2011-2012+) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!
Thanks for the shout!

We've been using Lloyd Mats in our own Mustangs for a while now and they're no joke. Quality is great, they have an OE fitment and we have a ton of options for colors/logos.

Hit us up if anyone has any questions at all!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
GT Member

I used to sell cars... Perma-plate shizz is just a gimmick like others here state.

Spend money on sealents/glaze/wax.

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
exterior , interior , paint , protection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page