What grade of gasoline do you use? - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: What grade of gasonline do you use?
87 - Regular 40 24.84%
89 - Midlevel 11 6.83%
92/93 - Premium 110 68.32%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangkid9234 View Post
Lol i like this but you should be running mid if not high grade through lawn equipment. As per the lawn shop i have been dealing with for over 7 years... Idk never tried it xD
this^^^^especially for two stroke engines, use 89 octane.....

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

luckypony

I know the 5.0 can run on Regular but I just don't have the heart to do it. So it will be Premium all the way.

Apprentice

the highest ive seen in southern cal is 91 so thats the only thing i use and only from top tier gas stations

2012 Performance White GT--401A, 6MT, 3.73's, Shaker1000, brembo package, eibach pro-kit springs, jlt carbon fiber cai w/ bama tune, roush ab's exhaust

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveShow View Post
the highest ive seen in southern cal is 91 so thats the only thing i use and only from top tier gas stations
Good call.

What is TOP TIER gasoline ? - YouTube

How gasoline additives make your engine work better. - YouTube

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveShow View Post
You can get racing fuel (100 octane) from select Southern CA 76 stations. There is one on the corner of Pico/Barrington in West LA that has it and I have been topping off tanks with it for years especially my high compression 70's engines.

The mustang will get the same treatment. 91 + racing fuel topoff when it gets a tune.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse720 View Post
Even if it's a daily driver why not shell out a few more bucks to get the higher octane? The tank is 16 gallons so 16 x $0.30= $4.80.
I don't know why anyone would put in anything but the highest available to them....in my case 93. It makes zero sense.

-Ed-
Sent from my mobile device

-Ed-
'13 Mustang GT Premium ordered 5/22/2012, VIN 6/8/2012 Window Sticker 6/22/2012 Build Date: 6/29/2012 1srt ETA 7/4/2012 2nd ETA 7/14/2012 3rd ETA 7/25/2012 4th ETA 7/26/2012 Delivered to Dealer 7/17/2012 Picked up 7/23/2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicketybam View Post
I don't know why anyone would put in anything but the highest available to them....in my case 93. It makes zero sense.

-Ed-
Because the engine makes basically no gains from the higher octane... I feel its more peace of mind

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangkid9234 View Post
Because the engine makes basically no gains from the higher octane... I feel its more peace of mind
If you dyno'd the car on 87 and 93, there would be a difference. On a hot humid summer day in NY, the 93 octane car is going to run stronger. But I digress. Not everyone is in the same financial situation and if a few bucks a tank makes a difference, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

-Ed-

-Ed-
'13 Mustang GT Premium ordered 5/22/2012, VIN 6/8/2012 Window Sticker 6/22/2012 Build Date: 6/29/2012 1srt ETA 7/4/2012 2nd ETA 7/14/2012 3rd ETA 7/25/2012 4th ETA 7/26/2012 Delivered to Dealer 7/17/2012 Picked up 7/23/2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I run BP 93 octane 99% of the time, the sunoco station closest doesnt sell fuel anymore? I dont know why. I didnt like the shell v-power for some reason and it seems like its a little more expensive, but 93 all the way, will never run anything lower.

2012 GT 6MT 3.73 - JLT - Borla - Axel Exchange - BMR - BAMA93H - Accufab - Steeda
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

No pinging for me -- 93 only
post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for that post. Unfortunately living in rural IA, I find it hard to find one of their "designated" Top Tier stations, BP, or Shell. I've been using Casey's (which are everywhere here) but now I think I'll switch to Phillips 66 which is actually the only non-Casey or Walmart station in town.

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 GT/CS | Red Candy | Manual | MCA Edition | Premium Leather | Glass Roof Option | Security Package

Painted Shelby Stripes | Black "GT" Fuel Door | Retro Chrome handle on Short Shifter | Borla S-Type Axleback Exhaust
MACH I Member

No problem & good luck.

FYI - Arco & BP aren't Top Tier Fuel certified.

Apprentice

I always used to put 91 or better in my GT. It wont hurt it to put the cheap stuff in, but you will lose a bit of horsepower and mileage. In the Shelby, it's not an option...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2008 Shelby GT500
Pypes Violator Exhaust
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Zod View Post
Thanks for that post. Unfortunately living in rural IA, I find it hard to find one of their "designated" Top Tier stations, BP, or Shell. I've been using Casey's (which are everywhere here) but now I think I'll switch to Phillips 66 which is actually the only non-Casey or Walmart station in town.
is that Caseys General Store? fond memories of the 25cent yellow refill cup when I was in military school in MO. Not that I would buy gas there...
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloblazestang View Post
is that Caseys General Store? fond memories of the 25cent yellow refill cup when I was in military school in MO. Not that I would buy gas there...

Ha yep that would be it. More Casey General stores around the Des Moines area then anything else. In the city I live in south of DSM, there are Casey's at every incoming/outgoing road.

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 GT/CS | Red Candy | Manual | MCA Edition | Premium Leather | Glass Roof Option | Security Package

Painted Shelby Stripes | Black "GT" Fuel Door | Retro Chrome handle on Short Shifter | Borla S-Type Axleback Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page