Will A Shifter Solve My Problems? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangkid9234 View Post
wait if someone accidentally shifts in reverse on a down shift... is just plain... you get the point. I have never even come close to shifting into reverse. Now maybe into 3rd from 6th.
And OP maybe your lifting your foot to early???
MY car actually doesnt go into gear completely sometimes, if my clutch is fully engaged, sometimes it simply will only go halfway in, and if i dont catch it, it will grind and pop out, if i do catch it, i can actually let off the clutch about halfway, and it will slide into gear with ease, its actually quite frustrating, and sometimes it just feels very bad going into third like a metal to metal feeling, once again with the clutch fully engaged.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Holy crap i get that only half way in feeling also. One time i said screw it and let off the clutch and it popped out.

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangkid9234 View Post
Holy crap i get that only half way in feeling also. One time i said screw it and let off the clutch and it popped out.
I had that happen once first week I had the car less than 100 miles on it, never happened again, up to 1500 miles and 2 months. Shifted into 1st at a light, hit the gas and it popped out of gear.

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger

Site Sponsor
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
Try the shifter bracket first. I installed the Steeda bracket and the Red (softer) bushing. The stock bushing is a POS. Use whichever bracket that you want. If the issue clears up after the install, you don't need to go any further.

Pete
Thanks for the Steeda props!
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VipeRS View Post
You will have a lot more in cab transmission noise by replacing the transmission fluid than adding an aftermarket shifter.
What? I had no increase in transmission noise from changing fluid. What gear oil did you use?

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have the MGW shifter. After removing the OEM pieces, I think one of the biggest problems with the OE shifter is the downright "wobbly" rubber in the rear bracket. If you're on a budget, replacing just that rear bracket might firm it up for you.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by condog61 View Post
I've been having issues with the 1-2 shift in my car. When shifting from 1-2 at high rpms (I am shifting correctly) the car won't get into 2nd all the way and the gear will grind

Will a new shifter and bracket help with this problem?

Thanks as always
Maybe I missing the oblivious here but I take into the dealer and have them document the problem. If you are grinding between gears I get it noted(i did). That way down the road if anything more comes of it you can say problem started before and I brought into the dealership.

Of the tranny fluid suggested I go with "BG Synchro Shift II". Again that should make things better for period of time but doesn't fix the issue. The same goes from the shifter.

Also how many miles do you have on car?

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT6 | 3.73's | Security Pkg | BREMBO | Comfort
Installed JLT oil catch can, Tint, Beltronics RX45/shifters
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerBuddysPony View Post
What? I had no increase in transmission noise from changing fluid. What gear oil did you use?
Agree, I had no increase in whine from the BG SS II... YMMV....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany View Post
Maybe I missing the oblivious here but I take into the dealer and have them document the problem. If you are grinding between gears I get it noted. That way down the road if anything more comes of it you can say problem started before and I brought into the dealership. Also how many miles do you have on car?
Absolutely. I'd have it documented. Contrary to what the anti-trolls may state, there are issues with the MT82....

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bracket , grinding , shifter , shifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page