Just got back from The Dragon - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFord94 View Post
Nice story---one of these days I'd like to drive the dragon and some of the surrounding roads. Though I have frequently heard that from spring onward, the vacation traffic makes the dragon kind of boring since you can't really push the car. Did you notice that traffic was an issue?

traffic isn't too bad on monday afternoon-thursday morning. Around the weekends it is awful. I never got more than a mile without finding another slow-moving cruiser/pickup/civic with a kayak on top.

The nice thing is, there are a TON of other awesome roads, from Hellbender to Cherohala nearby, plus a large number of lesser known roads that are still pretty impressive.

2012 Mustang GT Premium w/ Brembo || 2011 Subaru WRX Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandloser View Post
Stock height. Trying to enjoy the car stock as long as possible before I start changing things.

I was there because I had gone the previous year in my Z, and had an absolute blast-- there was no way I was going to miss it.

I also made the mistake of riding along in M4a1's mustang last year, which is why I was back in a 5.0:hihi::hihi:
Were you there for the entire weekend? I only saw your car one time.

PONY Member

I was there last week as well riding motorcycles. I borrowed a few bikes from friends in the group that I was there with (17 of us). FZ1, R1, BMW1000RR, Aprilia RSV1000R, and a fat FJ1300. The Z club seems to be there every time we are there. Have been going for 8 years, same time every year. Most of the car guys are cool on the dragon, but there was a douche bag Z car (red) that wouldn't pull over for me going up once. I was on his ass the entire time on my buddies R1.

Great fun at the Dragon. Got a ticket on the skyway though this year. $225 for 68 in a 45.

this is me on the aprilia that my buddy later crashed on Saturday:

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
[SOLD] 2012 Mustang GT (disappointed)

PONY Member

Sorry, here is the pic.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
PONY Member

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
PONY Member

me on the BMW, and my buddy riding his R1.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapfenstreich View Post
I had misinterpreted an earlier post, thinking that one guy was asking another which car he was in, and I was trying to be clever by providing the question and the answer with quotes. Quotes don't count, because you get this message... The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 15 characters. So I filled it with chevrons.

Massive fail all around, basically.
ROFL. At least you are honest. It was funny though.

2011 V6 PP -> 2012 5.0
PONY Member

Nice write up Trey! I forgot about ZDayz. I miss going to that. I went back in '05-06 and love the weekend. Did you by chance drive to the dam when they did the group photo, if they still do that?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

'11 Sterling Gray Metallic GT, 6 speed
Performance: Lethal O/R X Pipe, GT500 Mufflers, Heartthrob 3" cat to Axleback Kit, FRPP 4.10s, Airaid CAI, AE 4" Driveshaft w/Stiffler's Loop, JLT Oil Separator, TRZ UCA, UPR LCAs, UMI Relo Brackets, J&M Panhard Bar & Roush/Eibach Lowering Springs.

12.151 on MT ET Streets (1/4 mile speed not working)
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ray View Post
Regarding the Mustang's performance: the tires were great, the chassis was great, the mechanical grip was great, and the braking was great. m4a1mustang mentioned to me that I would notice the inadequate performance of the stock dampers, but I must say they didn't bother me much. Sure, the car pitched and yawed like a boat (nothing like the other cars there), but the grip was just stupendous. The chassis kept a firm hold of the ground despite the body wiggling around. Once I developed trust in the grip and ignored the body roll, I found the car was extremely fast. I'm sure dampers and sways would help, but I think the first $$$ I put into the car will be into braking or possibly a different diff.
Tough call on this one. I have the full UPR Pro Street Handling Package on my car (including Koni Yellows and UPR/Eibach springs) and the handling is AMAZING. However, a Torsen diff and (more) brake upgrades are definitely on my to-do list!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ray View Post
I attended ZDayZ (an annual event for Nissan Z cars/Infiniti G cars) for the first time last week despite owning at least one g35 since 2005. I was one of two Mustangs there, the other being m4a1mustang. Nice meeting you man; I enjoyed talking about the Mustang a bit, though I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to ride in yours.

This event is a combination social gathering/party with some driving mixed in. I'm a bit too old to party like most folks there, so I planned on driving the famed mountain roads. While there, I put over 400 *hard* miles on the car, all coming from driving some variation of the Dragon or the Skyway. My car is a 2011 Brembo/3.31 car, 10k miles, with the only change being roush mufflers. My goal was to see how the car stacked up against the lighter g's/z's in the twisties (ignoring the power difference). I know all about the comparison between the Mustang and the M3, but I really had a hard time believing the Mustang's chassis was that competitive. I've autocrossed the mustang several times, and done a few backroads around town, but this would be a good opportunity to see how the mustang performed head-to-head against cars with which I actually had experience.

I have to say that I am completely overwhelmed with the dynamic capabilities of this car. I'm just blown away. I've always been impressed with the mechanical grip of this car, but I've never really had anything on the road at the same time with which to compare. Over the past few days, I've played cat-n-mouse with many FM platform cars, none of them on the stock suspension. I even had a chance to play with a Cobra kit car. The only car that I could not compete with is a friend's 350z, which is nothing to be embarrassed about. This particular z is much more race-prepped than most cars, and I did not expect to be competitive with him.

Anyway, I was pushing most of the cars in front of me. Several times the cars I was chasing pulled over to let me by, both on the complicated dragon and in the more highspeed skyway. I was even told several times that I was driving too fast for some of the cars. I think I really surprised some of the folks there. On the drive up, one of the local guys in a coiled-overed 350z with excellent tires asked if I thought I could keep up. A few days later, he was asking around if people thought my performance was due to the car or the driver. He and I were never alone on the same segment of road, but I didn't have any trouble staying with him.

Regarding the Mustang's performance: the tires were great, the chassis was great, the mechanical grip was great, and the braking was great. m4a1mustang mentioned to me that I would notice the inadequate performance of the stock dampers, but I must say they didn't bother me much. Sure, the car pitched and yawed like a boat (nothing like the other cars there), but the grip was just stupendous. The chassis kept a firm hold of the ground despite the body wiggling around. Once I developed trust in the grip and ignored the body roll, I found the car was extremely fast. I'm sure dampers and sways would help, but I think the first $$$ I put into the car will be into braking or possibly a different diff.

The braking withstood everything I threw at it over last 4 days, except for my last run on the dragon. I had a passenger for the first time(not a skinny person), and the brakes just couldn't keep up. Pedal feel was still pretty good, but the ABS kept wanting to intervene, despite not feeling anywhere closing to the lockup threshold. The smell of brake fluid was pretty bad, but it was only from the right-rear corner. I didn't get under the car to look, but I wonder if this might not have been an issue with the brakes at all, but instead an issue with the diff's vent tube like others have reported? Regardless, the car will have higher temp fluid and possibly new lines before I go back.

The only major weakness was the performance of the rear differential. There was entirely too much spin from the inside tire. I don't think I could have possibly killed my diff yet, so maybe the stock unit is just not very good? This is an area that I rarely see mentioned in personal reviews. Anyway, I need to research differential options for the future.

I am now in the market for replacement tires. My tires all had a minimum of 5/32nd's tread depth when I arrived. When I left, most grooves measured ~3/32nd's. On the last day, I experienced greatly reduced grip. I attribute the grip issue to he diminished tires. I don't want to pay $350 a corner, but these Pirelli's really showed their worth this past week. Still, I cannot justify that expense for one 4-day event in a year's time. I guess I will have to compromise raw lateral-g's a bit with some cheaper tires. Unfortunately, I did not have any camera with me, nor any device capable of reading g-forces. I won't be so underprepared next time.

Anyway, if anyone ever gets a chance to go to NC and try out the Dragon, I highly recommend it. It was a religious experience.
I understand Michelin makes some UHP summer only tires that not only are supposed to have better grip than the Pirellis,but have a 30,000 mile tread wear warranty.

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
Rookie
4.6L Member

I used to drive a 1700cc motorcycle there from Chicago yearly. There is a river that divides two mountain ranges that forms the state line between NC and TN. The Dragon is a road that follows the river on one side, and the mountain on the other, so no intersections, and 216 turns in 11 miles near Deals Gap. Beware in the fall when wet leaves cover the road.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackochango View Post
I used to drive a 1700cc motorcycle there from Chicago yearly. There is a river that divides two mountain ranges that forms the state line between NC and TN. The Dragon is a road that follows the river on one side, and the mountain on the other, so no intersections, and 216 turns in 11 miles near Deals Gap. Beware in the fall when wet leaves cover the road.
Actually, it is 318 curves in 11 miles. :-)

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingedthinker View Post
Actually, it is 318 curves in 11 miles. :-)
the number is just made up anyways...

2012 Mustang GT Premium w/ Brembo || 2011 Subaru WRX Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page