For scratches, swirls, haze, etc. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football76 View Post
Two weeks ago, after much (read weeks) research I bought myself a 7424 DA polisher, M105/205, Poor Boy's Black Hole Glaze, Black Fire Wet Diamond Sealant and a good mix of pads.

I am so pleased with the results that I wanted to share - you don't have you go the "by hand" route (I couldn't imagine doing all the work with my elbows!). However, if you decide to go with a powered application then do your research and always follow the "least aggressive combo first" method.
I'd say you "did things the right way".... Now imagine how much damage you could have done without "weeks" of reading others success's and failures......

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

glock22357

Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
And in theory, this should be applied after the product the OP used to remove the fine scratches left behind, but he probably just filled them in with a wax before he pulled his car out into the sun, when that wax starts to "degrade", he will see what I'm talking about.
Stupid assumptions get you no where, nor help anyone.

PONY Member

Quote:
I'd say you "did things the right way".... Now imagine how much damage you could have done without "weeks" of reading others success's and failures......
is there no way get marks out without buying a random orbit buffer?

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT6 | 3.73's | Security Pkg | BREMBO | Comfort
Installed JLT oil catch can, Tint, Beltronics RX45/shifters

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany View Post
is there no way get marks out without buying a random orbit buffer?
You can do it by hand, but you have to move your arms and hands in a randomly orbital fashion...really, really fast...lol

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It all depends on the "marks" you are talking about. Minor swirls can be done by hand with the right products. Major paint correction is much easier (so is minor stuff as well) with a good Dual Action (DA) polisher.

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22357 View Post
Just thought I'd share. I have a black 5.0, that has been hit twice, and the repaint jobs the dealership body shop did are full of swirl marks, haze and orange peel. I usually do my own work when possible, so I figured it couldn't be too hard to find a product that fixed my paint (clear coat) issues.

Well, I tried this, by hand, using lots of water, and it's freakin' awsome!!!

I would definitely suggest using this BY HAND, and absolutely avoiding rubbing along any raised edges/creases, but this stuff is the BOMB!!!
welcome to 198? this stuff has been around forever, what rock have you been living under?
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcesarey View Post
Fine Cut cleaner has been around for at least 20 years, and it has a good reputation. I've been watching all the videos on Autogeek and I think I'm going to go with all Pinnacle stuff for my car. 3M makes really good stuff for getting rid of swirls. I've used 3M glazing compound several times in the past and it works well.

For reviews and instructions on this stuff, Autogeek is a god-send!
Autogeek is a very good website to learn how to detail a car. I have a suggestion on the Pinnacle car products though. I, myself, have used Pinnacle products and they are good products, but can get pricey depending on what you buy and I believer there are better options out there.

A friend of mine used to use Adam's and swore by the stuff for his 2008 Bullitt. Depending on who you listen to, Chemical Guys may or may not be the exact same stuff. I am not here to start that debate over again, trust me, there are plenty of them out there. I can tell you, however, my friend ordered Chemical Guys products that did an excellent job and in some cases, smelled and looked exactly alike. The 50/50 paste wax is amazing (just as good as my Wolfgang Fuzion in my opinion). CG's is a good website to deal with, and their products are reasonable (most of them anyways), with good results.

Just throwing out a suggestion. Don't mean to put down Pinnacle or Adam's...just giving everyone another suggestion based on what I have used to detail cars in the past. Also, the DA Porter Cable is invaluable!!! Lol

2013 Mustang GT Base ll Sterling Grey ll Mt-82 ll Track Package ll Ordered 5/21/12 ll Vin 6/22/12 ll Build date 7/16/12 ll ETA 7/21/12 ll ETA#2- 7/27/12 ll Delivered 7/24/2012
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Stupid assumptions get you no where, nor help anyone.
Not trying to "ruffle" any feathers.... You made an assumption that I was making an assumption.... I'm making a statement based on facts and real life experience over the past 30 years, and your assumptions are based on???

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

GT Member

No Pictures of the paint or the results?

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
GT Member

Quote:
This may be what you need, but it also could be "more" than what you need. Meguiars makes a Beige Bottle "swirl remover", that would be the first thing I'd try by hand, if that doesn't do the trick you can then move on to more abrasive compounds. The thing is you want to use the "least" abrasive product that gets you the results you need.

Here is the Pro series swirl remover (oops, just saw asphapltscowboys post)

http://www.autogeek.net/meg9swirrem.html

And in theory, this should be applied after the product the OP used to remove the fine scratches left behind, but he probably just filled them in with a wax before he pulled his car out into the sun, when that wax starts to "degrade", he will see what I'm talking about.
Thanks, maybe I'll give that a shot first.

I understand that, if I had a buffer, that would be easiest. However, once you start adding up the expense to get all the necessary materials and all the time to research and learn . . . I just can't bring myself to do it.

I'd rather spend an extra 90 minutes and get the swirls out by hand . . . assuming I can get the same results?
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Thanks, maybe I'll give that a shot first.

I understand that, if I had a buffer, that would be easiest. However, once you start adding up the expense to get all the necessary materials and all the time to research and learn . . . I just can't bring myself to do it.

I'd rather spend an extra 90 minutes and get the swirls out by hand . . . assuming I can get the same results?

I know how you NoVA guys all like to congregate, maybe you guys can "go in" on a DA/Rotary/RandomOrbital.... The results will not be the same by hand, as unfortunate as it is, unless you spend 90 minutes per panel. The amount of rotations that can be mechanically achieved are "untouchable" by hand. I'm sure Grimace/Midlife or one of the others has access to one. One other thing that was not mentioned in this thread is claybarring. It is an important first step if you plan on using a mechanical buffer. Without claying you will effectively "rub" the stuff sitting on the surface into the paint.

GLOCK, I've been there, done that, with black paint many times. As I stated, it was not meant to be offensive, and I apologize if it came off that way.

Aaron S.

Gone but not forgotten

glock22357

Quote:
Not trying to "ruffle" any feathers.... You made an assumption that I was making an assumption.... I'm making a statement based on facts and real life experience over the past 30 years, and your assumptions are based on???
You made quite a few assumptions. In fact, everything you posted about what you think I did, was wrong. You have zero facts about what I actually did with my vehicle (past what I posted), and made completely incorrect assumptions. Not one of them was right.

I know your personality, a passive aggressive desperate to prove to others that he is something he's not.......intelligent and well informed on the subject. Take your self-esteem issues else-where, they're not needed here.
GT Member

Quote:
I know how you NoVA guys all like to congregate, maybe you guys can "go in" on a DA/Rotary/RandomOrbital.... The results will not be the same by hand, as unfortunate as it is, unless you spend 90 minutes per panel. The amount of rotations that can be mechanically achieved are "untouchable" by hand. I'm sure Grimace/Midlife or one of the others has access to one. One other thing that was not mentioned in this thread is claybarring. It is an important first step if you plan on using a mechanical buffer. Without claying you will effectively "rub" the stuff sitting on the surface into the paint.

GLOCK, I've been there, done that, with black paint many times. As I stated, it was not meant to be offensive, and I apologize if it came off that way.
Yea, RedWings was giving me some great advice on detailing. But, after reading his recommendations and researching costs, I chickened out. Guess I'll revisit.

Quote:
You made quite a few assumptions. In fact, everything you posted about what you think I did, was wrong. You have zero facts about what I actually did with my vehicle (past what I posted), and made completely incorrect assumptions. Not one of them was right.

I know your personality, a passive aggressive desperate to prove to others that he is something he's not.......intelligent and well informed on the subject. Take your self-esteem issues else-where, they're not needed here.
Dude, chill out. As you can see, he apologized to you . . . and I'm not even sure he owed you an apology. Take your meds and move on.
glock22357

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Dude, chill out. As you can see, he apologized to you . . . and I'm not even sure he owed you an apology. Take your meds and move on.
Pardon me for taking umbridge when my own specific situation is incorrectly assumed. And then, when I point out said incorrect assumptions, I get a lecture.

It's simply rude, and I am sick and tired of rude people.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Pardon me for taking umbridge when my own specific situation is incorrectly assumed. And then, when I point out said incorrect assumptions, I get a lecture.

It's simply rude, and I am sick and tired of rude people.
You act like you started this thread or something...

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:

I get it, assumptions get you nowhere. Care to elaborate as to what you used after the polish?

Aaron S.

Gone but not forgotten

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page