My exhaust actually got me out of trouble :D - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

My exhaust actually got me out of trouble :D

Long story short, last week I was coming home from work and this jerk was tailgating me in a 25mph zone (I was going 40mph which is already ticket worthy). So I decided to give him a little more of a challenge. I slowed down to 20 in 2nd gear and then applied ~70% of the throttle and left him.

Too bad a cop was perched at the next corner. I honestly had no idea how fast I was going so I was freaking out. The first thing the cop said to me was "That is a great sounding car."

Luckily for me, what could have been a warm night in jail turned out to be just a warning thanks to my spotless history (well, except when I wrecked my car in high school). I knew I was being totally stupid, so I confessed everything and was 100% honest. After he gave me the warning, he said that I had the best sounding car in town and that he was hoping that the other guy was going to speed so that he could have pulled him over instead.

Cool story, I know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

What kind of exhaust?

2013 Race Red GT/CS 6MT; Elec Pkg; RAAMat on the doors; Morel Tempo 5x7 coaxials; GT500 axle-backs painted black
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Lucky you! I have the opposite story to tell...: a couple of weeks ago I was cruising down a nice country road with my girlfriend, not going fast at the speed limit or below, we were in no hurry, I was off and we were going to Point Reyes, CA (for the ones who know...) to have lunch and see the light house.

Driving down the main country road, comes a stop, and a pick up truck just passed almost right in front of me (he could have waited for me to pass, he had the stop, I was on the main road), so of course I slowed down, plus it was a stinking pick up truck, I wasn't planning to breath his crap for miles so I was starting to slow down as I couldn't pass him on that part of the road anyway. Maybe he didn't saw me coming, or realized what he did, but he pulled over on the right while still driving to let me go by, I hesitated, then went for it as almost the whole right lane was free by him doing so (which was nice of him by the way), so I hit the gas a bit, so he's not gonna stay like that on the right for long and as soon as I passed him, like 3 seconds later, on the curve, a highway patrol comes from the other side and gives me a sign by the hand, turns his lights on, turns around and I'm busted! 1st speeding ticket since 1989 FYI...

I can't believe it, and try to explain the police officer what happened, he doesn't gives a damn, don't even believe my story, I'm sure what he just see is a Mustang and it must be speeding. I was a bit over the speed limit when he got me, but that was because I was just passing that guy in his pick up truck so he would not stay long on the right side of the road. He didn't care, said that it was what I was saying...

Just a few minutes later, as I'm still on the side of the road, pulled over waiting for my ticket, guess what?! The guy with the pick up truck comes back! He is not just driving by, he came back especially, seeing what happened, probably feeling bad, and wanted to talk to the police officer! We give each other a sign by the hand, I give him a thumbs up, the cop listen to him, but doesn't want to change a thing! At some point he even tell us to go back to our cars and ask the other guy to leave! Is this freedom???

So here I am, with a ticket of $258, just cruizing down that country road on my day off... Nice isn't it? I'm going to the court next tuesday and going to explain what happened, I even took a photo of that pick up truck when he was leaving, so I have the license plate if they want to research the guy... But I don't have much hope...

Like I told the cop, its just bad circumstances, I mean that road to Point Reyes, is a country road, we were like 5 minutes max form the little town of Point Reyes where we stopped to have lunch. If that pick up truck didn't passed in front of me, I would have never got that ticket... Even by passing in front of me, if he didn't pulled over to let me go by, I would have never got that ticket, because I would have never passed him (it's just a one line road), and on top of all that "luck", there, in the middle of nowhere, at that very same moment, there is a highway patrol coming from the other side; who says I'm lucky?! ...

Needless to say, that the day was pretty ruined and I was pretty pissed off! 23 years without a speeding ticket and I get this stupid one!
If at least I was really speeding, I would have what I deserve, but like this? It's just ridiculous...

We'll see on tuesday if they will change their decision, like I told the cop: check my driving record, I haven't got a speeding ticket for over 20 years! I'm not a road maniac just because I drive a 5.0! He didn't even bother to look...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9692.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	857.9 KB
ID:	156465  

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012
GT Member

I have a similar story Asphalt...

I was driving home from Orlando Fl, back to Ft Myers. I was taking some back road to have some fun. This was in my 89 GT. I came up on a cop writing someone else a ticket and slowed down.....I got what I thought was a good distance away before speeding back up. Well I was wrong, and those flowmasters got me bagged. He heard me rev it up and came after me. I did get lucky that he just gave me a warning, but he was pissed. He told me he had to get over 100 mph to catch me. I was surprised he did that, but anyways. A good sounding exhaust can go both ways I guess.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Yeah, I got pulled over by the CHP about 6 months ago. I had the cruse control set and was enjoying the drive, even though my wife was with me. LOL.

CHP runs up on me and lights me up. I pull over and he says, "Hey, I am just pulling you over to check out your car. I am restoring a Mustang and love your ride."

I gave him the 25 cent tour right there on the side of the freeway.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The difference here, jstafford1, is that I wasn't speeding, except for 10 sec to pass that pick up truck!

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
The difference here, jstafford1, is that I wasn't speeding, except for 10 sec to pass that pick up truck!
And you got a ticket

It sucks when that stuff happens. I got one trying to catch up to my brother. He made it through a red light and I didn't know where we were going so I was hauling it to catch high. FHP whipped a uturn to catch me there....no luck that time though, got a big ticket there. Was like $250 back in 96. That dude reamed me on the side of the road...threatened to haul me to jail and all. I was 17 at the time and I was scared shitless.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012
Californicajun

I'm just gonna knock on wood that my exhaust doesn't attract the Po Po. Not that I drive recklessly, but sometimes they equate loud to mean fast and speeding.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Lucky you! I have the opposite story to tell...: a couple of weeks ago I was cruising down a nice country road with my girlfriend, not going fast at the speed limit or below, we were in no hurry, I was off and we were going to Point Reyes, CA (for the ones who know...) to have lunch and see the light house.

Driving down the main country road, comes a stop, and a pick up truck just passed almost right in front of me (he could have waited for me to pass, he had the stop, I was on the main road), so of course I slowed down, plus it was a stinking pick up truck, I wasn't planning to breath his crap for miles so I was starting to slow down as I couldn't pass him on that part of the road anyway. Maybe he didn't saw me coming, or realized what he did, but he pulled over on the right while still driving to let me go by, I hesitated, then went for it as almost the whole right lane was free by him doing so (which was nice of him by the way), so I hit the gas a bit, so he's not gonna stay like that on the right for long and as soon as I passed him, like 3 seconds later, on the curve, a highway patrol comes from the other side and gives me a sign by the hand, turns his lights on, turns around and I'm busted! 1st speeding ticket since 1989 FYI...

I can't believe it, and try to explain the police officer what happened, he doesn't gives a damn, don't even believe my story, I'm sure what he just see is a Mustang and it must be speeding. I was a bit over the speed limit when he got me, but that was because I was just passing that guy in his pick up truck so he would not stay long on the right side of the road. He didn't care, said that it was what I was saying...

Just a few minutes later, as I'm still on the side of the road, pulled over waiting for my ticket, guess what?! The guy with the pick up truck comes back! He is not just driving by, he came back especially, seeing what happened, probably feeling bad, and wanted to talk to the police officer! We give each other a sign by the hand, I give him a thumbs up, the cop listen to him, but doesn't want to change a thing! At some point he even tell us to go back to our cars and ask the other guy to leave! Is this freedom???

So here I am, with a ticket of $258, just cruizing down that country road on my day off... Nice isn't it? I'm going to the court next tuesday and going to explain what happened, I even took a photo of that pick up truck when he was leaving, so I have the license plate if they want to research the guy... But I don't have much hope...

Like I told the cop, its just bad circumstances, I mean that road to Point Reyes, is a country road, we were like 5 minutes max form the little town of Point Reyes where we stopped to have lunch. If that pick up truck didn't passed in front of me, I would have never got that ticket... Even by passing in front of me, if he didn't pulled over to let me go by, I would have never got that ticket, because I would have never passed him (it's just a one line road), and on top of all that "luck", there, in the middle of nowhere, at that very same moment, there is a highway patrol coming from the other side; who says I'm lucky?! ...

Needless to say, that the day was pretty ruined and I was pretty pissed off! 23 years without a speeding ticket and I get this stupid one!
If at least I was really speeding, I would have what I deserve, but like this? It's just ridiculous...

We'll see on tuesday if they will change their decision, like I told the cop: check my driving record, I haven't got a speeding ticket for over 20 years! I'm not a road maniac just because I drive a 5.0! He didn't even bother to look...
You were speeding so he pulled you over. Face facts. It doesn't matter if you were 1 mph over or 50, you were breaking the law. It's completely up to the discretion of the cop. But when I look at that pic, I just scratch my head. You're in the middle of nowhere and still he pulls you over. That cop was just being a d*ck. Sucks man.

BTW, I never get off on any tickets anymore. I get stopped, I'm getting the ticket. :nogrinner

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergjh View Post
You were speeding so he pulled you over. Face facts. It doesn't matter if you were 1 mph over or 50, you were breaking the law.
There is speeding and "speeding", like I said, that guy pulled on the side to let me go by, I just hit the gas the time to pass him. The whole trip I wasn't speeding, I was cruising with my girlfriend on a beautiful day, I was off and we were in no hurry. Read back my story of how it had happened...
[QUOTE=hammergjh;3071747But when I look at that pic, I just scratch my head. You're in the middle of nowhere and still he pulls you over. That cop was just being a d*ck. Sucks man.[/QUOTE]
Yup, in the middle of nowhere, and right after, like 5 minutes max, we were in a little town called Point Reyes Station (Pop 350...) where we took our lunch... Point Reyes Station * West Marin Chamber Visitors Guide to Point Reyes National Seashore Region just bad luck...

PONY Member
5.0L Member

"It doesn't matter if you were 1mph over"

Are you the same guy who will bust balls if you are less than 1 minute late to work? Late is late, you must be made to suffer.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You must be a lawyer for saying such things... Life is not always Yes or No, Black or White, there are circumstances, there are reasons.
But whatever..., if it makes that cop happy to consider a guy that just hit the gas for 10 sec in order to pass a slower vehicle that let him go by, to some crazy road maniacs that thing a public road is a race track, so be it. I can't control stupidity.

When you see that the guy you've just "busted" has a clean driving record for 20+ years, a guy that doesn't have a single speeding ticket, and that on top of that when you see the other guy involved coming back especially to tell you also how it happened, you use your brain, and are understanding. Appearances are not always what they seems to be, at the time you see them...

GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace72ace View Post
"It doesn't matter if you were 1mph over"

Are you the same guy who will bust balls if you are less than 1 minute late to work? Late is late, you must be made to suffer.
No, read the rest of my post. It's completely up to the discretion of the cop who catches you. He can legally pull you over and write a ticket for 1 mph over. It's absurd but it does happen.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
Apprentice

I havnt been pulled over in my mustang yet and I'm putting my Roush exhaust on today fingers crossed but usually where I live cops won't budge if you are only doing 5 over but I have had 2 speeding tickets but each one was lowered to 6 over when I was really doing 20-25 over but I think it's because I'm a girl and I've only been pulled over by men I'm scarred to get pulled over by a woman Im planning on paying full price when that happens
Banned

Quote:

The CHP here are not giving out warnings anymore, California needs the money and they are writing as many tickets as they can. I doubt you will get the court to change anything. How did he get your speed? Opposing radar? Or did he just guess?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page