Wham!! 2012 in an accident.. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Wham!! 2012 in an accident..

I averted most of the damage, but their tailpipe still got my bumper.. and their bumper still got my hood.

Other driver was carrying a learner's permit. They were attempting to merge for a while (I could see them attempting to take the lane) so I looked behind me to see why it was taking so long. In the split second I was surveying the surrounding traffic their brakes were applied in full force... at a green light! My guess is that she saw the red lights in the turning lane and thought it was for the eastbound lane. I had maybe a tenth of a second to react. Suppose this is why you're not supposed to attempt to merge through an intersection?

I received a ticket for 'following too closely' .. I was a good three or four car lengths behind driving 35 MPH .. now I have to go to court. Not sure what I'm going to tell the judge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

That sucks.Been there done that.I was in a very similar situation.The driver was a illegal immigrant and even traded seats with the passenger after the accident prior to the police showing up.I got the ticket and there seems to be no real good defense to not being able to stop(following to close).I hope it works out for you but I was 17 when it happened to me and I don't think the judge could care less what I had to say.Good luck.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Listen to Ice T's Cop Killa. I'm not saying go out and do it, I'm just saying you'll feel better.

1989 Mustang GT Convertible
- Regatta Blue / Silver / Black Top
- White Leather
2007 Mustang GT Premium *RIP* Death at 20MPH
- Tungsten Metallic
- Black Leather
2018 Mustang GT Base
- Electric Blue
- 6 Speed Manual

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012
Apprentice

What a bummer. Hope the repairs go well.

2013 GT Coupe Premium - Performance White/OTT Stripe
400A | 6AT | Comfort | Electronics | RSS+Security | Rearview Camera | Shaker Pro | 19s
3M Crystalline Tint | FRPP GT500 Axle Backs
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flargimmer View Post
now I have to go to court. Not sure what I'm going to tell the judge.
I think you need to move the frack out of Tennessee, they don't do that crap in Texas.

In Texas, accidents simply get handled by the facts, maybe a police report if serious enough for one to be made, the insurance carriers figure out who's at-fault, and then each party gets their cars fixed. Texas is not going to waste your tax dollars in some stupid appellate process on this crap.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

OP, that sux....I do have an idea what to tell the judge though and plz don't be offended but the correct thing to say is "I'm sorry"

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I moved from Bartlett,TN to Houston,Tx. Now I"m semi-retired on San
Antonio Bay, Fishin & driving my new Stang! I'm sorry you had the accident.

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

I banged up my 5.0 with 800 miles on it. Took this as an oppertunity and got a new hood and installed a cs valance.

good luck

2011 GT 5.0 Premium 401a, MT82, Glass roof, Brembo, Comfort, 3.55, accessory trim 5 (scoups, flat panel, Pedistal spoiler)
mods: CS front valance with fogs & Roush harness, Roush side splitters, LMP sport hood, RTR rear valance, MRT hood struts, invisible bra, Corsa Extreme & X pipe, anniversary staggered wheels, Steeda shifter, Oracle LED halos, Ultra Silverstar.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012
luckypony

Not trying to be a DB but all I read was, "I was not paying attention and hit the car in front of me."

Doesn't look bad though. A reputable shop should be able to make it look as good as new.
Apprentice

Wow sorry to hear that. About the ticket, a friend of mine at work just got one in a similar situation. He went to court and won on the basis that if the cop didn't see him following too close then he didn't have a right to give him that ticket.

If you can find a way to explain that to the judge (or more likely the cop simply won't show up) then you might be able to get it struck down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Order: 2013 Sterling Grey GT Premium - 19" Wheels - Comfort Package
Ordered: 4/2/2012 VIN: 4/18/2012 Build Week: 4/23/2012 ETA: 5/5/2012 Received: 5/4/2012
GT Member
V6 Member

That's not too bad. Unfortunately it's completely your fault. It really doesn't matter what the button head in front of you is doing when you run up his butt. He could be getting "serviced" by his GF and slams on the brakes at that "moment". If you hit him it's on you.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

That sucks. Good luck with the repairs and all.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
Apprentice

That stinks...sorry.

I think the ticket is at the cop's discretion. I don't know how to get out of it, but nobody that's hit me has got a ticket yet. Granted, I haven't had that many accidents. Oh, and a couple of those were in Tennessee.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible, Ruff Racing Wheels, Nexen tires, window tint, Eibach springs, 8 inch antenna, mud flaps, Magnaflow Magnapack axle back exhaust, chin spoiler, headlight splitters, and GT500 spoiler.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypony View Post
Not trying to be a DB but all I read was, "I was not paying attention and hit the car in front of me."

Doesn't look bad though. A reputable shop should be able to make it look as good as new.
I understand completely. I can assure you I wasn't off in la-la land!

I'm a very attentive driver. I refuse to touch my phone while driving and haven't had a drop of alcohol since I got my Mustang.

It just sucks that someone can slam on their brakes at a green light and it's still my fault.. they even apologized to me multiple times!

You could never blink and still succumb to such a horribly stupid accident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page