Being picky about springs and rake. Annoying.... - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed50 View Post
How'd you get such a low drop with P springs?
Nothing fancy, installed with no other adjustments. I do have -1.5 degrees front camber which makes the front end look lower. Before anyone asks, I monitor tire wear very closely and mine are perfect. I also rotate often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I've seen dozens of cars on Ford P springs, and you're lower than them by a solid inch or inch and a quarter.

You must have cut a coil or maybe you meant sPortlines, LOL...

Grimace427, your car sits perfect BTW. My Sportlines are okay in the rear but I'm cutting a half coil up front this weekend.
Haha thanks! No cut springs, not confused with any other springs unless Latemodel Restoration put 'K' springs in a 'P' springs box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT midlife CS View Post
Peter, was that pic taken after you annual car wash? :hihi:
A haha, haha, ha......ha.
This was actually the first of TWO car washes this year 2012, thank you very much!

The photo was taken late January after installing the new tires. My hands were sh-sh-shakin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD.ken View Post
Tbird raises a good idea tho. Get the sportlines or similar springs and cut half coil. Actually that sounds like a very attractive idea at this point. Beats mixmatching sets, paying for coilovers, or using spacers.
I will have to strongly object to cutting springs, especially on the Sportlines. This is what was found when testing the Sportlines by two different people;

"Eibach Sportline (pn 4.10135) 1.6/2.0 - tested, lost data but these spring rates are extremely high and are IMO unsafe due to almost zero rear travel before going solid and into snap oversteer, these are poser springs"

Quote:
Oh yes, old indeed. So having bigger tires in the rear, what does that do to you gearing wise? As opposed to the stock tire diameter that is I'm assuming??
You will gain gear ratio(lower numerical) when going with taller tires. I did this because my 3.73 gears were limiting me in the top end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
This brings up a question.... why do most of the spring sets drop the rear so much? Some of the customer pics on AM look like their butt is literally sagging and gives the entire back end a smaller and weaker look. the H&R super sports are the worst in this dept. They are trying too hard to look like imports in my opinion. Mustangs are not skylines or maseratis! Pants on the ground, pants on the ground. Lookin like a foo wit ya pants on the ground.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
The reason old-school muscle cars had the ass-end so high was because the easiest way to increase contact patch for drag racing was to put larger tires on the rear. In those days they didn't have as much of a selection of wide, low profile tires or rims. We all ran 14 or 15" rims. On my '72 Gran Torino Sport I used to run 285/60s on 15" street/strip drags which sat 2" higher than the fronts so to clear I used coil spacers in the rear.

Of course, back then we cared more about straight line speed and cared nothing for cornering. The higher the back end, the more body roll you had, sometimes it was quite a chore to keep the rears planted in a turn.

Now, handling is just as important, and you can get wider tires that don't have to be as tall. The only reason our cars are as lifted as they are is to accomodate bad roads and (from what I've heard) so people that drive their cars year around can put on tire chains. Most of people changing springs are expecting better handling, not worse. So to get better handling the drop in the rear is more to get the car more level and negate body roll.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
Apprentice

When I go lower, it will the ford p springs, keeps a bit of the rake and looks just right in my opinion

2013 White 5.0, MT-82 - Track pack & Recaros

Pypes X pipe, Pype Bombs, Resonator deletes, Airaid ,MGW shifter, FRPP P Springs, FRPP struts/shock/mounts, J&M Panhard bar, CDC rear decklid, CDC Grill, Roush Chin Spoiler, Boss Diffuser, SVE Drift Wheels, J&M LCA'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page