Remote door lock operation - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Remote door lock operation

Hi all,

I had a Ford before this Mustang and the lock/unlock buttons on the key were working like this, when pressed twice:
- unlock twice: opens all doors (instead of driver's only)
- lock twice: insert alarm and give visual/acoustic confirmation (instead of simple lock)

Now, for the double press on the lock button, the Mustang user manual only talks about the confirmation, nothing is said about the alarm.

Which is the real behaviour of the lock button?

Thanks

"When in doubt, flat out!" (Colin McRae - 1968/2007)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

if you have an alarm, pressing it twice will arm it instantly (and beep) once will arm after 30 seconds without a beep. This is the Ford factory alarm (optional active alarm)

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
MACH I Member
S197 Member

even if you don't have the security package, 2 lock clicks will honk(chirp) horn and flash lights.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Uhm... as written by adspru, my horn chirps at the second press, it doesn't "beep". I've never read anywhere in the manual about any beep, it's always mentioning the horn and it seems to give the same feedback, regardless of the presence of an active anti-theft system or not.

From the owner's guide:

Quote:
Locking the doors
1. Press (lock) and release to lock all the doors. The turn signal lamps will illuminate. Note: The interior lamps will turn off [...] and the turn signal lamps will flash if all doors, trunk and hood (if equipped with active anti-theft system) are closed.
If the vehicle is not equipped with the active anti-theft system, the turn signal lamps will flash if all doors, trunk and hood are closed.
The parking lamps will illuminate.
This is already unclear to me... they're describing two use cases (active anti-theft system yes/no) but the behaviour is the same?? What is the difference between the two cases and why are they mentioning the difference at all?

Quote:
2. Press and release again within three seconds to confirm that all the doors, trunk and hood are closed. Note: The doors will lock again, the horn will chirp once and the turn signal lamps will flash once more.
If any of the doors, trunk or hood (if equipped with active anti-theft system) are not properly closed the horn will make two quick chirps and the turn signal lamps will not flash. If the vehicle is not equipped with the active anti-theft system, the horn will make two quick chirps and the turn signal lamps will not flash if either door or the trunk are not closed.
Here, at least, there's a difference between the alarm/no alarm options: the hood is not counted in the second case.
But once again the light/horn sequence is the same

I also went through the section of the active anti-theft system, but there's nothing about the locking procedure there. It's only saying that the alarm will be armed 20 seconds after locking the car, regardless of which button you press and how many times...

Quote:
Arming the (active anti-theft) system
When armed, the active anti-theft system is designed to notify you of an unauthorized entry. When unauthorized entry or towing occurs, the system will flash the turn signal lamps and interior lamps and will sound the horn. The system is ready to arm whenever the key is out of the ignition.

Any of the following actions will arm the alarm system:
Press the (lock) control on the remote entry transmitter portion of your integrated keyhead transmitter.
Lock all doors using the interior power lock switch while the driver or passenger door is open and then becomes closed.
Lock the driver door with the key in the key lock cylinder (this will not however arm the interior motion or vehicle incline sensing systems).

There is a 20 second countdown when any of the above actions occur before the vehicle becomes armed.
Each door, the hood or the trunk is armed individually, and if any are open, they must be closed for the system to enter the 20 second countdown.

The turn signal lamps will flash once when all doors, the hood and the trunk are closed indicating the vehicle is locked and entering the 20 second countdown. If any closure is not properly closed the turn signal lamps will not flash and that closure will not be armed.
I'm still confused
It seems that pressing twice is totally useless... and since it's making un-necessary noise at night, I would gladly avoid it if it's not needed.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Pretty sure I remember reading something about hitting the lock button twice for finding your car in the parking lot.

2011 v6 race red black leather interior, premium, navigation, pony package, comfort package.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by road virus View Post
Pretty sure I remember reading something about hitting the lock button twice for finding your car in the parking lot.
Bingo!
and to arm it faster than the 20 seconds.

2012 Black V6 Performance, Pony and Security Package, Tint, Take-off leather seats, GT500 Steering Wheel, JLT CAI, Auto Headlight switch, Quarter Win Louvers.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by road virus View Post
hitting the lock button twice for finding your car in the parking lot.
Yes, this is mentioned in the owner's guide, too..

In any case, pressing twice to close the car / activate the alarm is not really needed, so I can skip it at night

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page