Installing Vinyl Racing Stripes - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Installing Vinyl Racing Stripes

So I decided to undertake the task of installing vinyl racing stripes on the g-ride. Any tips?

I have heard to use soapy water, black magic tint spray, and Rapid Tac. I don't feel comfortable using a tint spray or Rapid Tac since they might contain harmful ingredients that may ruin the paint. Any recommendations?

Also once the stripes are installed is there any post work that I need to do? Polish the stripes, wax them, etc..

If you have any other tips or recommendations that would be awesome. This is my first time doing it so I want to make sure I have all my information correct before doing it. From what I have seen it seems pretty straight forward but I know from experience its never like that lol. I created a doc that contains steps that I created from watching videos, forums, and speaking to people. Here is my 18 hopefully full proof steps.
Instructions:
1) Wash the car
a. Use detergent soap to wash down car to remove any excess wax
2) Make sure all excess soap has been removed
3) Rub the area down with rubbing alcohol
a. Make sure its dry before proceeding
4) Dry fit the stripe- measure to ensure the stripe is centered THROUGHOUT the car
5) Tape it down on multiple points as well as make marks with grease pen
6) Cut the tape off and use it as a guide to install the stripes
7) Spray area on car down with Rapid Tac or other solution
8) Spray Vinyl down with Rapid Tac or other solution
9) Once vinyl is in place start to squeegee the water out ALWAYS START FROM CENTER
10) If the vinyl is placed on sharp edges/drops. Squeege the flat part first from the center
11) Then the ridge starting at the center
12) Then the valley with sloping motion. Pull the graphic to remove excess fingers
13) Then go from the ridge straight down with the squeege
14) Make sure to squeegee all the water out for a nice non bubble application
15) Let it set for 15-30 minutes
16) Apply Rapid Tac on the paper wait 3-5 minutes
17) *GO REAL SLOW* Begin to remove the paper by pulling the paper at 90 degree angles against itself
18) IF IT BEGINS TO PULL THE VINYL UP LET IT SIT LONGER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

rapid tac is great stuff. there are two solutions, one is for glass. i have used it on many cars. it will not harm your paint.

it does take a LONG time to dry if your vinyl is indeed vinyl and not a vehicle wrap product so keep that in mind.

when people say "soapy water" its not really soapy. few drops in a bucket. thats it. dont mix it like you are washing the dishes.

you can also use rapid tac to "clean" the area instead of rubbing alc.

Borla-H&R-Work
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I just picked up a gallon of rapid tac. Heard thats the way to go for applicator solution. Im going to begin tomorrow with those steps above and post the pictures when finished hopefully it looks as good as if a pro did it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

do you have a proper squeegee? makes a world of difference

Borla-H&R-Work
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Best of Luck... Applying the stripes is an artform....

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

We have a guy here that is a wizard at it, but I won't touch them myself, too frustrating. I know he uses a solution made for applying the decals, lets you move and get them where you want them with a little wiggle room to get it exactly where you want them, and a good squeegee is key.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012
Rookie

I ended up buy a window tint kit from autozone for $10. Had a really good squigee, a lint free cloth, razor blade knife and the aplication liquid. With all the curves, you will need a heat gun or blow dryer to help shrink the vinyl. I needed it alot on the front of the hood, the spoiler and the bumpers. It takes lots of patience. I ended up lining up masking tape on the vehicle, and just put it down without the backing and also the top masking piece. Seemed easier to use the masking tape lines than to tape it down and remove the back in sections. I attached some pics of what I did 2 weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	157894   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	157895  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Stang11 View Post
I ended up buy a window tint kit from autozone for $10. Had a really good squigee, a lint free cloth, razor blade knife and the aplication liquid. With all the curves, you will need a heat gun or blow dryer to help shrink the vinyl. I needed it alot on the front of the hood, the spoiler and the bumpers. It takes lots of patience. I ended up lining up masking tape on the vehicle, and just put it down without the backing and also the top masking piece. Seemed easier to use the masking tape lines than to tape it down and remove the back in sections. I attached some pics of what I did 2 weeks ago.
Where did you get your stripe kit? I was looking at the AM one but they look a little narrow. I did find one on ebay that had 18 and 21 inch kits. I am looking to do a silver SS strip on my impact blue vert.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012
Rookie

I got it off ebay. It originally was the 22" kit. After looking at it just "laying" on the hood, it seemed too wide so I took a tape measure and a straight edge and cut down the kit. Did a 15" mid stripe, .75" space and a 1" stripe. This is the same person and the same kit I bought. I did find that once the backing paper got wet......it wouldn't peel off the vinyl graphic. Thats why I took the whole backing off and moved it around while the car surface was wet. You may look for a better graphic. I don't think mine is 3M so that may explain why the backing did what it did when it was wet and why the front masking was so hard to come off. 2010 2011 Mustang 22" Rally Stripe Stripes Graphics | eBay
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Stang11 View Post
I got it off ebay. It originally was the 22" kit. After looking at it just "laying" on the hood, it seemed too wide so I took a tape measure and a straight edge and cut down the kit. Did a 15" mid stripe, .75" space and a 1" stripe. This is the same person and the same kit I bought. I did find that once the backing paper got wet......it wouldn't peel off the vinyl graphic. Thats why I took the whole backing off and moved it around while the car surface was wet. You may look for a better graphic. I don't think mine is 3M so that may explain why the backing did what it did when it was wet and why the front masking was so hard to come off. 2010 2011 Mustang 22" Rally Stripe Stripes Graphics | eBay
Yeah this is the one I was looking at 2010 - 2012 Ford Mustang Snake Style Super Stripes 18" with Pin Stripe Kit | eBay
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

What would you call a proper squeegee? I was going to get this kit from autozone: Squeegee Kit
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

i like these guys

3M

Borla-H&R-Work
Rookie

This is the one I bought. The squigee in this kit had a hard side and also has a side that had rubber on it. I used both sides. I am sure you would be fine with the one you posted though. Gila/Complete Window Tint Application Kit with CD-Rom (FS600) | Window Tint Accessories | AutoZone.com_
PONY Member

Here's the thread when I installed mine. Good info also.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...g-stripes.html

I love mine and get compliments all the time.

2012 Boss Laguna Seca #290 and 2015 PP Ecoboost (Daily Driver )
Previous: 2011 GT, 2000 Camaro SS, 93 Lightning
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah I need something locally to houston texas. This is the only time i can install them this weekend for the next month due to work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page