Driving it factory stock - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Agreed, I'm keeping my V6 stock when I get it regardless of the low gear ratio. Whenever I upgrade to the GT, I'll be keeping that engine stock as well. No need for more power because personally, I'll never go to a drag strip. I buy a car to drive it, that's it so for me, 420hp is more than enough.

The only "Mods" I would consider would be cosmetic like lowering, wheels and tint. Maybe an axle back for sound.

2013 Mustang V6 . Black

GT500 style spoiler. Rear tint. Plasti-dip wheels. Bama 93H tune. Now looking for a Borla Touring setup that won't cost me way too much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My car is stock except for one small thing. I'm guess I'm either lucky or simple, but I pretty much love my GT just the way Ford hatched it.

I guess it matters most if you are the kind of guy that trades often... if so, yes, you probably are going to end up with a car that has an much smaller audience. The problem with mods is you love 'em, but then you gotta find someone else who feels the exact same way about the exact same stuff you added.

On the other hand if you plan on long term ownership, make it exactly what you want it to be.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Yes, to a potential buyer, a modified car gives the impression that the person beat on it... A stock car gives the impression that it was just driven gently by someone who doesn't know about modifying, even if that wasn't the truth.
Yup, that's why no one should fall into first impressions as they might do some tricks on ya... Example right here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiD View Post
Just picked up my 2013 Mustang GT and I friggin love it. Rides like a dream. Took it to the track same day - went 13.2 @ 106 60'. Has less than 300 miles on it, mostly highway. I've been fortunate to be granted some amazing potential opportunities with this fine specimen so the future is bright. Looking forward to learning from you guys and breaking in my pony!
So this owner bought his Mustang, and the very first day goes to the track and beat on it (obviously, you don't go to the track to do some cruising...). He mention "breaking in my pony", strange way of breaking it by going right to the track with less than 300 miles on it...

Not judging anyone, just pointing out stuff and responding to some comments I've read on Mustangs with mods. That new Mustang above is stock...

On the other side, I had mine since december 2010, and my Mustang still haven't seen a single track yet! Take it for what it's worth...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Yup, that's why no one should fall into first impressions as they might do some tricks on ya... Example right here:

So this owner bought his Mustang, and the very first day goes to the track and beat on it (obviously, you don't go to the track to do some cruising...). He mention "breaking in my pony", strange way of breaking it by going right to the track with less than 300 miles on it...

Not judging anyone, just pointing out stuff and responding to some comments I've read on Mustangs with mods. That new Mustang above is stock...

On the other side, I had mine since december 2010, and my Mustang still haven't seen a single track yet! Take it for what it's worth...
Sure there are always exceptions, but the odds go way up that someone beat on it when they start modifying parts on the car. Some might think "hmm did he modify the parts because he broke the originals or wore them out?"

Also, perceptions are all that matter in sales. It doesn't matter what you say if the buyer gets a bad feeling about something. You're going to have a harder time selling it.

I'm keeping all my stock parts, but the problem is I currently need to pay for a storage unit to keep them around lol. I think I'll be able to get this into a free storage unit should I move.

2012 Mustang GT Premium (Manual), Sterling Gray, Brembo Package, 3.73 gears, Electronics Package, Comfort Package, HIDs, backup camera, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda HD mounts, UMI panhard bar, Borla S-Type catbacks, MGW shifter, Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber driveshaft, RTR wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Roush front fascia, DG Custom hidden fog billet grille, Roush lower billet grille, Roush front and side splitters, DG Custom quarter window louvers, GT500 rear diffuser
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I didn't keep any of my stock parts. I changed them it's not to put them back on... By the way I still have my stock suspension and wheels for sale if anyone is interested. And no, I didn't beat on these parts.

Stock or with mods, usually you can tell if someone took good care of his/her car, especially when you are passionate about it.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
GT Member
S197 Member

Lots of folk on these types of forums mod their cars, but it's only a teeny fraction of mustang owners that actually join these forums. So you won't get a true picture of who mods from asking forum members. Likely 90+% of mustang or vette or viper or truck or whatever owners have no interest at all in joining or modding.

Although the higher the production number per year for a vehicle, the more likely the owner will want to personalize it, to make it stand out from the herd.

06 Mustang GT, 76mm turbo @ 22lbs boost, built 302, built fuel, 4r70w + transbrake, gutted, 10.0 @ 136 mph in 1/4 (sold 2011)

S550 mercedes, stock, daily driver

previoulsy owned
2002 viper gts
2006 viper coupe
2013 srt viper base (track package)
MACH I Member

Quote:
I didn't keep any of my stock parts. I changed them it's not to put them back on... By the way I still have my stock suspension and wheels for sale if anyone is interested. And no, I didn't beat on these parts.

Stock or with mods, usually you can tell if someone took good care of his/her car, especially when you are passionate about it.
I've sold three Mustangs (all modded). One of them took a whole four days to find a buyer. The other two took one day. All of them were sold for the price I asked and there was no haggling. Maybe that's the "exception," but anyone that knows about Mustangs can tell if someone took care of the car. Some people like to keep their cars stock and that's fine. I'm one of the guys who likes to mod and I'm not worried about finding a buyer when the time comes.

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
PONY Member

I'm not someone who views modding their car as personalizing it. I view it as making the car the best it can be because Ford and every other maker of affordable cars has to cut corners or make decisions that are based on things other than maximum performance.

So when it comes to any type of performance mod, that's the approach I take. Now with the current cars, I think the engine is pretty damn awesome in stock condition. I have no bolt-ons and no fancy air filters. But Ford made a judgement call to throw on the ultra-quiet mufflers on the GT cars. Bad move! I don't know what the motivation was for that, but what we ended up with, IMO, is preventing the car from being all it could be. Of course, some could take the position that any muffler is preventing the car from being all it could be. But for me, it simply means, I get to hear why I spent all that money on a GT. I don't need everyone around me and 4 blocks away to hear it however. So the GT500s are an amazing item in my experience.

Then there's the suspension. The more I drive my car, the more I hate it. It's so damn bouncy--like a fraking ox cart. Is that because of the SRA, the damper/spring calibrations, or both? It's probably a little of both, but it's also clear that Ford wanted to avoid giving the mustang a hard ride and felt that bouncy was a better compromise. Wrong move, Ford. Wrong move. No one wants to jiggle their way to work in the morning. So this is another area that will need to be addressed in order to address some poor decision that was made internally.

But really, that's it. And that's most of what I plan on doing. I suppose their is a small element of personalization on my car. A lot of the base model trim elements are pretty, well, base looking. So those need to get changed. And the front end is a bit weak, IMO. Who ever was in charge of designing the front bumper didn't look at the rest of the car. The CDC chin spoiler really completes the look of the car--it's not got an even looking black line going under the entire length of the car which matches the black plastic rocker panel covers and the stock rear valence.

I suppose it's a matter of perspective, but in the end I avoid modifications that are done just to say that I've done it. If car needs more work in my view, it will get a greater level of mods. My VWs would get far more work done to them than my mustang will because they needed more help, IMO. If I were to move up to a C6 Z06 for instance, that car probably wouldn't get any help at all. I think it's an excellent car. Ok, maybe better seats. That would possibly be the biggest mod I'd to a Z06.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFord94 View Post
Now with the current cars, I think the engine is pretty damn awesome in stock condition.
That's what I said until I saw how mine is with the Ford Racing Performance Tune; you should try to test one that has it if you can; what a difference! It's like the car is finally awake, it's just right, really. Notice that I wrote "Ford Racing", I wouldn't go with any other brand. Obviously Ford Racing know what they're doing.
Quote:
But Ford made a judgement call to throw on the ultra-quiet mufflers on the GT cars. Bad move! I don't know what the motivation was for that, but what we ended up with, IMO, is preventing the car from being all it could be. Of course, some could take the position that any muffler is preventing the car from being all it could be. But for me, it simply means, I get to hear why I spent all that money on a GT. I don't need everyone around me and 4 blocks away to hear it however. So the GT500s are an amazing item in my experience.
Exactly, and the GT500 mufflers are Ford Racing parts once again... I had these for 2 months after I got my Mustang, you should hear the ones I have now also from Ford Racing; really amazing, even better!
FORD RACING EXHAUST - YouTube
Quote:
Then there's the suspension. The more I drive my car, the more I hate it. It's so damn bouncy--like a fraking ox cart. Is that because of the SRA, the damper/spring calibrations, or both? It's probably a little of both, but it's also clear that Ford wanted to avoid giving the mustang a hard ride and felt that bouncy was a better compromise. Wrong move, Ford. Wrong move. No one wants to jiggle their way to work in the morning. So this is another area that will need to be addressed in order to address some poor decision that was made internally.
Here again: Ford Racing Handling Pack and your Mustang becomes so right in the handling. A 412HP car bouncy? No... Mine is on rails now, the handling match the power it has. Power doesn't mean anything if your car cannot handle it.

Once again using Ford Racing parts, you're not really modding your Mustang to me, you're just using Ford best parts to make it better. And no, I do not have any actions with Ford Racing, but this, from their website should make sense to anyone:
"We are confident that as a potential customer you will agree that no one knows your car or truck better than the Ford engineers who designed it in the first place. Our kits offer the best blend of performance, durability, and drivability that exist on the market today."
Quote:
But really, that's it. And that's most of what I plan on doing. I suppose their is a small element of personalization on my car. A lot of the base model trim elements are pretty, well, base looking. So those need to get changed. And the front end is a bit weak, IMO. Who ever was in charge of designing the front bumper didn't look at the rest of the car. The CDC chin spoiler really completes the look of the car--it's not got an even looking black line going under the entire length of the car which matches the black plastic rocker panel covers and the stock rear valence.
Totally agree, except the CS/BOSS lower fascia, I think the base GT one is missing something, and maybe that's why many have changed theirs for the CS/BOSS one... Then the BOSS front splitter is a great addition to it, and you'll be amazed to see what the Roush side splitters with the RTR rear splitters do to the lines of your Mustang; it just complete the overall look all around, it looks so right that it doesn't even look like an aftermarket body kit, as you keep all the original parts, it just enhance the overall look. But by now, you have done some mods... So it's not stock anymore. Modding your car is nothing negative if it's well done, with taste. Very often it will make your car look and perform its best. Look at Shelby with the Supersnake version of the GT500; it's Shelby, but it's still mods, done by Shelby... Everyone will agree that the Supersnake is better than a stock GT500.

Everyone see Shelby different because he has worked side by side with Ford, but otherwise he would have just been another aftermarket tuner like many. What made him so great, and valuable is it's great work of course, but also his tight collaboration with Ford, that gave him another dimension, let's not forget that.
IMO, it's always best to go with the ones that know your Mustang best, either Ford themselves or close aftermarket tuners like Shelby, Roush, Saleen, and more recently Vaughn Gittin Jr and it's RTR, made out very often with some Ford Racing Parts by the way (for Shelby and the RTR)...

Anyway, this was my .02 cents of the morning, like we always say; to each his own, I just gave my point of view. Thanks for reading, hope you didn't fall asleep! :nogrinner

PONY Member

Quote:
That's what I said until I saw how mine is with the Ford Racing Performance Tune; you should try to test one that has it if you can; what a difference! It's like the car is finally awake, it's just right, really. Notice that I wrote "Ford Racing", I wouldn't go with any other brand. Obviously Ford Racing know what they're doing.
I can't really speak to this one way or another, so you're right, I should try to spend some time behind the wheel of a car with an FRPP tune. I have to be honest though, there are very few times where I wished I had more hp. And after having owned the car for almost a year, it still makes me smile when I give the car some throttle. It's not 100% perfect and I'm sure the tune would help the smoothness, but I don't think it's even close to how much help the suspension needs.

Quote:
Exactly, and the GT500 mufflers are Ford Racing parts once again... I had these for 2 months after I got my Mustang, you should hear the ones I have now also from Ford Racing; really amazing, even better!
That's an awesome clip you put together, but to be honest, I still get quite a bit of attention with even the "lowly" GT500s. Though there's no denying that you car sound ridiculously awesome. What version of the FRPP muffler are you running?

Quote:
Here again: Ford Racing Handling Pack and your Mustang becomes so right in the handling. A 412HP car bouncy? No... Mine is on rails now, the handling match the power it has. Power doesn't mean anything if your car cannot handle it.
This one I'm a bit more hesitant on. IIRC, the FRPP kit comes with a lot more stuff than I want to install on the car at the moment. My approach to modding the car is one based on previous experience. I greatly enjoy addressing one item at a time and at the moment, it's really just the dampers, though I may throw on some lower springs while I'm in there for aesthetics more than anything else. I have a set of Bilsteins on another car, but I'd like to try out some adjustable Koni yellows on the mustang. But I don't want to deal with suspension arms, sway bars, etc. For how I drive the car right now, just getting the bounce under control and a reasonable ride is all I need. I'm not someone who likes to spend money on just throwing everything I can at the car. I like to spend a lot of time researching things and then buying only what I think I need to address my problem. I'm also pretty sensitive to suspension calibration. At this point, I'm still looking around, but I think the FRPP kits still give me more than I want at this moment. But I'm still open to suggestions as I haven't made my mind up.

Quote:
Totally agree, except the CS/BOSS lower fascia, I think the base GT one is missing something, and maybe that's why many have changed theirs for the CS/BOSS one... Then the BOSS front splitter is a great addition to it, and you'll be amazed to see what the Roush side splitters with the RTR rear splitters do to the lines of your Mustang; it just complete the overall look all around, it looks so right that it doesn't even look like an aftermarket body kit, as you keep all the original parts, it just enhance the overall look. But by now, you have done some mods...
I can't criticize these suggestions either. I saw a lot of cars like this at the Ford Nationals---including OAC Sparky's car from this forum. They all look phenomenal. It's just more than I want to spend on a front end and I prefer the overall look of the CDC front chin spoiler. It's not overdone, and while not OEM like the CS/Boss front, I think it looks every bit as clean as that. I like the RTR stuff, but again, I think it's just too much money. The current mustang is an excellent design and doesn't really need much except for a couple of minor tweaks here and there. I'd rather not spend ~$1k on cosmetics. $200 for a chin spoiler, ~$50 for a black pony, and $60 for some laminX is all the car needs, IMO. A drop will complete the look and hopefully address my major handling complaints.

Quote:
it's always best to go with the ones that know your Mustang best, either Ford themselves or close aftermarket tuners like Shelby, Roush, Saleen, and more recently Vaughn Gittin Jr and it's RTR, made out very often with some Ford Racing Parts by the way (for Shelby and the RTR)...
While that's usually a good rule of thumb when speaking in generalities, in many cases, they may know the car, but they don't know me. In some instances, I'd rather piece my own stuff together using quality items based on recommendations from individuals who know their stuff. While all those places you mentioned absolutely, without a doubt, know their way around a mustang, you pay for that. But I also can appreciate the small guy. I like all the things I've read about Sam Strano and I like, that at least on other forums, he has a presence and tells it like he sees it. No marketing speak, no BS just to get you to pull the trigger with him. And he's not some dope with a shop and a website, the guy has quite the experience with pushing mustangs to their limits--at least with regard to chassis setup. Sometimes bigger shops do things that are more based on profit and what they think will sell than what actually makes sense for an individual customer. Don't sell me crap I don't want--or at least don't want at this point in time! Like I said earlier, I prefer to do things in stages and ask questions along the way as it helps me understand why I'm spending the money and in the end, I'm happier with the product.

Quote:
Thanks for reading, hope you didn't fall asleep! :nogrinner
Ditto!

Here's my car BTW, since I rarely post it here:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page