Nitrous? Supercharger? No, just a new 5.0 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Nitrous? Supercharger? No, just a new 5.0

My first two passes yesterday running in the True Street class was next to a 1967 modified Mustang. Not sure of his modifications but he was running in the 13 second class. Reaction times didn't matter in this class and it was a Pro Tree so I waited each time to see the green light before I left. The 67 Mustang left on me each pass so I had to play catch up to beat him. When I passed him I was approaching 115 m.p.h. versus his 100 m.p.h. . After the first pass we had a break on the starting line due to a broken car on the track. The 67 Mustang driver walked over to my car and said "what are you spraying?" I said "I am not spraying anything". "Oh, you must have a supercharger then". I replied "no, it is just a new 5.0" He could not believe that a stock motor could fly by him so fast. It was his first time running against a new 5.0. Needless to say, he was impressed.

2014 GT 5.0 Premium (Ordered 2/1/2013, received 3/20/2013) 6A - 401A premium trim - Steeda CAI - (Mike Rousch) SCT Dynojet custom tune - Lethal offroad H-pipe - J&M LCA's - BMR relocation brackets - Circle D 5C converter - DSS aluminum drive shaft - front sway bar delete kit - stock mufflers - and a stock 3:15 gear. Best pass so far - 60 ft. 1.577, 1/4 mile e.t. 11.567, mph 117.22.

(Traded in on new 2014)
2011 GT 5.0 Premium - Black - 6M - 3:73 gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Ok, now, tell me the truth; what are you spraying? ... hahaha, great story!

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012
Apprentice

What was his 60ft compared to yours? I'd wager he was just doing some awesome launches and that's why you played catchup.

'13 'Stang - V6 Base GHIG - Ordered: 5/31 - VIN Issued: 6/7 - Window Sticker: 6/19 - Build Date: 6/25 - ETA: 7/6 - Received: 7/3
'00 Grand Prix
- L67 Swap, 3.25" Pulley, Cam, Headers, etc.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
What was his 60ft compared to yours? I'd wager he was just doing some awesome launches and that's why you played catchup.

You are right, he was awesome off the line. He was a regular weekend racer and he was obviously familiar with the Pro Tree lights. His reaction time on the first pass was .289 compared to my (wait to see green) .798. His 60' time was 1.846 compared to my 1.904. He was also running drag tires compared to my street tires. But I must say, it was fun flying by him.

My third pass was against an 11 second car. Not near as much fun.

2014 GT 5.0 Premium (Ordered 2/1/2013, received 3/20/2013) 6A - 401A premium trim - Steeda CAI - (Mike Rousch) SCT Dynojet custom tune - Lethal offroad H-pipe - J&M LCA's - BMR relocation brackets - Circle D 5C converter - DSS aluminum drive shaft - front sway bar delete kit - stock mufflers - and a stock 3:15 gear. Best pass so far - 60 ft. 1.577, 1/4 mile e.t. 11.567, mph 117.22.

(Traded in on new 2014)
2011 GT 5.0 Premium - Black - 6M - 3:73 gear
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012
Californicajun

The power band these cars have between 4-6k in just about any gear is very impressive. Good job representing the new 5.0's.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

I had a similar situation when I went against a Roush 427r. Had him off the line to the finish though and I had a passenger and 150 pounds of equipment in the trunk. He was very impressed with the 5.0.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012
Snackmaster

Good stuff! I like where the new Mustangs are now right out of the box. I'd love to have one some day...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
Good stuff! I like where the new Mustangs are now right out of the box. I'd love to have one some day...
+1 YES!

Some have said it's just a Mustang!

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]GT Premium Manual-Kona Blue[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]401A Int.-Char/Blk/W/Cashmere[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Security Pkg.-3.73 Ltd Slip [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Access Pkg #4 Hood Scoop N Ped Spoiler[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Last edited by knk11stang; 06-17-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: add
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012
Apprentice

I can't say how it is at other tracks, but for Milan Dragway in Milan, MI, they have a Pro Tree there. And I learned long ago that you launch as soon as you see the last yellow light! Sure enough, every pass that I ever did there I launched on the last yellow, and never tripped the DQ.

Might want to try that is you are up against a pro tree again.

2012 Race Red GT Premium Convertible
Auto, Comfort Package, 19-in Premium Painted Luster Nickel Wheels, no other options

Prior Mustangs
1988 LX 5.0 Hatchback AOD
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe 5 Speed
1992 LX 5.0 Hatchback AOD w/125 Nitrous shot
1986 LX Coupe .040 over 302 w/C4 (unfinished)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page