Longest You've Driven Without Sleep - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

15 hours when I was 19 years old. Never again. 12 hrs tops these days, and that's pushing it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

18 hours Miami to St. Louis, I can drive comfortably 12-14hrs at a time, or at least I used to.

Mustang GT 2012- Black, Premium, Brembo pack 3.31. Mods: steeda ultra-lite springs, Koni SrT shocks, JM panhard, Roush AB
MACH I Member

22hrs - Bismarck, ND to Seattle, WA.

I would not recommend eating many carbs, starches, salts or sugars. Eat some protein rich foods, not many nuts, granola bars, dried fruits are good and water (smartwater is the best, for the electrolytes). Oh, and be sure to get a nice rest the previous two nights (but don't over sleep).

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

PONY Member

22 hours and not alone. I was not able to sleep and did the last 6 hours by myself. I would not recommend EVER doing this. The risk of an accident is too great. Your life and the lives of the people you could hit are not worth risking just to save on a hotel bill.

2012 Mustang GT: Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger; Steeda UCA & LCA; BBK Long Tube Headers & x pipe; 3.73, Brembo, Roush 18X10, Nitto 555R Drag Radial 305/40/18, Magnaflow Cat Back. I am just lucky my wife let me buy and modify this car.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

About once a year I make a 12 hour trip from New Bern NC to Hallandale Beach FL. I am so used to that trip that it really doesn't feel like much to me. In April of 2011 I visited my son at Ft Bliss TX, and decided that the last leg of the trip (Sallisaw OK to New Bern) wouldn't be too much of a stretch. I mean, its "only" another 5-6 hrs over my regular FL trip, right?

It ended up taking me almost 19 hours (that storm system that dropped tornadoes from Oklahoma all the way to NC and VA last year followed me the entire freakin' trip). That last 5 hours from Asheville to New Bern almost killed me. I was so tired when I pulled in the drive way that I fell asleep with the drivers door open before I could get out of the truck, LOL. If my wife didn't come back out of the house to get me I might STILL be asleep in the truck.

I now have a personal limit of 1000 miles or 14 hours, which ever comes first.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

14 hours from Long Island to Charlotte, NC area including stops.

That's my limit for long distance driving without stopping for sleep.

LH
Ordered 6/11/2011, VIN received 7/14, window sticker received 7/26, scheduled build day 8/1, shipped 8/2, picked up 8/24:
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium convertible/MT82 6 spd.
Grabber Blue/Charcoal black/blue accents
401A, Reverse sensing/security, Electronics and GT convertible accessory 6 packages.
Ford Racing GT500 mufflers
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeherman View Post
14 hours from Long Island to Charlotte, NC area including stops.

That's my limit for long distance driving without stopping for sleep.
The good news is that it only takes 11 hours to get to New Bern from Deer Park so you can make it to my half of the state well within your window

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
PONY Member

14 Hours from Manchester, NH to somewhere in Virginia (with a wild/creepy stop in Centralia, PA at around 3:00 AM). It was a drive-anywhere kind of road trip where my friends and I tried to make it to Florida and back to New Hampshire in a single weekend. That last hour was a struggle for me. I can't imagine doing 20 hours+. That's insanity!

2014 GT Coupe, 3.73 gears, Security Pkg
PONY Member

47 hours from santa cruz, ca to sandy hook, nj

2011 GTCS
Officially too many mods to list...
GT Member

I drive truck & back in 2000 I ran UPS overflow at Xmas time 96 straight hours with no sleep. The only times my wheels stopped turning was switching trailers & getting fuel & coffee. I didn't even have time to shower. I took home $3600 after expenses for 4 days work.

Until last September I was on a steady run for 4 years that had me run from Canton, OH to Emporia, KS (29 hr.round trip) then I had 7 to 8 hours off & then had to do it again. Most weeks after I finished the 2nd turn I went to my other job & ran another 4 to 6 hour load before catching some sleep.

It's amazing how you adapt to things when you have bills to pay...... Or a Mustang to build

I stayed sane by throwing extra cash at Orange Crush.....

Obama whines that we don't build stuff like the Hoover Dam anymore. With his EPA in charge nothing CAN get built.....ANYMORE!

If you put the Obama administration in charge of the Sahara desert they would find a way to run out of sand in a year....-ME!
Rookie

The rumble strips woke me up a time or two but I wasn't watching the clock. So I'll say TOO LONG. I can't recall a trip over 8-9 hours though.

2013 GT Premium- Sterling Gray, Charcoal Blk w/Cashmere, Nav, 3:55 rear, Comfort Pack, Brembo Pack, Glass Roof, Rear Camera, 1/4 Louvers and Side Scoops, FRPP P-springs, V1
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I drive truck & back in 2000 I ran UPS overflow at Xmas time 96 straight hours with no sleep. The only times my wheels stopped turning was switching trailers & getting fuel & coffee. I didn't even have time to shower. I took home $3600 after expenses for 4 days work.

And here I was all proud of doing a couple of 900 mile days back to back. Wow.

2012 GT. Black. 300A, 55D.
Apprentice

I used to drive from Flagstaff, AZ to Owensboro, KY without sleeping. I would drive the 24 hours straight. I don't do it anymore.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapfenstreich View Post

And here I was all proud of doing a couple of 900 mile days back to back. Wow.
I have an 875 mile day tomorrow lol. I consider myself semi-retired at this point. I refuse to stay awake more than 20 hours without sleep if I can help it. I've grown tired of killing myself after 22 years & 5 million miles. I now do 32 to 3700 miles in 5 days & take weekends off. I want a life that doesn't involve 125 hour work weeks.....

Obama whines that we don't build stuff like the Hoover Dam anymore. With his EPA in charge nothing CAN get built.....ANYMORE!

If you put the Obama administration in charge of the Sahara desert they would find a way to run out of sand in a year....-ME!
Banned

I've driven straight through from Arizona to Illinois and once from Tucson, AZ to Biloxi, MS without any stops for sleep..

I was much younger then, don't think my knees or back could keep up with that pace these days.

-HD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page