First time at the track... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

First time at the track...

Well this weekend my wife and I went out to Rocky Mountain Raceway. It was our first time at the track and we had a great time with a lot of friends. I didn't do nearly as well as I wanted however. And the first run I about put it into the wall best run of the night for me was a 14.11. Only got in two runs. My wife managed a 14.59 in her only run. Just couldn't get any traction off the line. My wife probly could have gotten in the 13's with her run but she missed 3rd and lifted before the line she said haha. Still a great time can't wait to go back!
Midnight Drags RMR June 15, 2012 - YouTube

2012 Base GT - Black on black - MT - 3.55
ordered - 7/28/11, build date 8/25/11, bought 10/5/11

Mods: Roush AB's, Boss shift knob/boot, GT500 Steering wheel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012
PONY Member

Man I would have been scared on that first run.

Not sure if you plan on modding but a nice shifter, lower control arms and some tires would really help, and won't put your warranty in question. An offroad X, cold air intake, and tune will really wake that 5.0 up.

Looks like fun, I haven't taken mine out yet.

2012 5.0 GT M6 Grabber Blue
300A, 3.73s, Brembo Brake package, Lethal O/R X-pipe, Mac axle back, JLT CAI, Lund cammed tune/Bama race tune, J&M LCAs, FRPP K springs, Tokico HP struts, MGW shifter, 305/18 NT555Rs

2012 Accord SE - DD
Lost loves: '97 Acura CL, '08 Mustang V6, '05 Pontiac GTO, 2011 Civic
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime21 View Post
Well this weekend my wife and I went out to Rocky Mountain Raceway. It was our first time at the track and we had a great time with a lot of friends. I didn't do nearly as well as I wanted however. And the first run I about put it into the wall best run of the night for me was a 14.11. Only got in two runs. My wife managed a 14.59 in her only run. Just couldn't get any traction off the line. My wife probly could have gotten in the 13's with her run but she missed 3rd and lifted before the line she said haha. Still a great time can't wait to go back!
Probably still alot of fun. I've still yet to go but I know how bad the traction is on these things stock. That's why I upgraded the wheels/tires and suspension so that when I finally do make it there I don't get pissed off because I was spinning all through first lol

2012 5.0 6MT - AED Tuned / Brembo Brakes / 3.73 FRPP Gears / Pypes LTH / Pypes O/R X / Boss Manifold / Steeda Intake / Bama Race Tune / GT500 Wheels / Nitto NT555's / GT500 ABs / Saleen Grille / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Interceptor Gauges / SOS Dual Pillar Pod / Koni Shocks & Struts / BMR Springs / BMR LCAs & Brackets / BMR Camber Bolts / J&M Adj Panhard Bar / GT500 Upper Strut Mounts / GT500 Steering Wheel / Roush Side Splitters / GT/CS Front Fascia / Boss Splitter / Raxiom Headlights

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Lower your tire pressure to around 20 psi and you will notice a big difference on stock tires! My best time at the track so far was 12.8 @ 110 mph on stock 19" wheels, 200 lbs of junk in the trunk including spare tire, 1/2 tank of gas and leaving the tree at idle! These cars are amazing!

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Nice Showtime, stay away from these walls!! You'll do better next time!

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012
GT Member

Hey man, you tried and had fun. That's all that count's! My wife will go drag racing all day long. She enjoys watching but she won't race the car.....

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshmcfilth123 View Post
Man I would have been scared on that first run.

Not sure if you plan on modding but a nice shifter, lower control arms and some tires would really help, and won't put your warranty in question. An offroad X, cold air intake, and tune will really wake that 5.0 up.

Looks like fun, I haven't taken mine out yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo172 View Post
Lower your tire pressure to around 20 psi and you will notice a big difference on stock tires! My best time at the track so far was 12.8 @ 110 mph on stock 19" wheels, 200 lbs of junk in the trunk including spare tire, 1/2 tank of gas and leaving the tree at idle! These cars are amazing!
It for sure scared me to glad I was able to recover and keep it out of the wall. Offroad X/H will for sure be in the future as well as a cold air and tune. But for now stock will do.

I'm no doubt going to lower the tire pressure next time a bit lower than I had it. And I think launch at idle is the cure. The stock tires just will not hook up will any kind of revs it seems like. My goal is as close to 13 as possible for next time.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012
Apprentice

Well that will wake you up. I saw a guy in a new vett stay in it when he lost traction and he spun 180 and hit the wall. The guy was literally in tears..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012
glock22357

You were at the "strip", not the "track".

It gets frustrating to open a thread hoping to hear about someone's time on a track, to find it's about dragging.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime21 View Post
Not bad for your first time. Just relax, make passes, and you'll get quicker as you gain experience. It's true that airing the tires down a little will help (I wouldn't go below 25-28 personally). The trick to launching on radial tires is to try not to spin them, because once they start spinning, the run is blown. You can actually launch higher than idle, but you need to slip the clutch to keep the tires from spinning. It takes a lot of finesse though, so you might just want to stick with your plan to leave at idle and work your way up from there.

Later, if you decide to get serious about your test n tune nights, you can upgrade your suspension and tires. I can help you there. Mustang Parts & Performance - UPR Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22357 View Post
You were at the "strip", not the "track".

It gets frustrating to open a thread hoping to hear about someone's time on a track, to find it's about dragging.
The dragstrip is a racetrack.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My heart stopped when I saw you dodge that wall by a hair. Learn from this so you don't shorten your lifespan

Black|2012|5.0|Brembo brakes|3.73 Gears|Roush louvers|MMD taillight trim|Fog light tints|Headlight covers|Taillight Tint|Quarter marker tint|Brakelight tints|Side marker tint|Plasti dipped rims|JLT oil separator|
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machz View Post
Well that will wake you up. I saw a guy in a new vett stay in it when he lost traction and he spun 180 and hit the wall. The guy was literally in tears..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse720 View Post
My heart stopped when I saw you dodge that wall by a hair. Learn from this so you don't shorten your lifespan
Ah man I don't even want to imagine how sad I would have been had I hit the wall.

Trust me lesson very well learned. I guess if it ever had to happen glad I got it out of the way on my very first run ever haha now hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Thanks Sharad I know I'll do much better next time. I'm for sure very green at this still. I actually had my tire pressure around 20 on my second run since 25 on the first run didn't work out so well haha. Once my wife and I get some practice in we for sure will be upgrading everything. She has the bug now I can see it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
5.0 2012 , drag race , mustang 2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page