Holes drilled in bumper - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Holes drilled in bumper

My '13 appeared to have dimples in the front bumper, but after washing, it appears I pushed paint that covered the holes out. I now have two small holes. It's not the end of the world, but it just seems really lame and stupid of Ford to drill them out instead of letting me do it if I need to. I know my dealer didn't do it.

End of rant.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Yeah I bought my car in Penn( no front plate state) so I spent the first couple days after
I brought it home to Vt trying to figure out how I wanted to mount the plate.
Was gonna get an underneath pop out. But then I washed her and noticed
The two tiny starter holes and said f it and put the plate on the bumper.

2011 v6 race red black leather interior, premium, navigation, pony package, comfort package.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

It's easier for Ford than to look at the ones the lot jockey/salesperson mounted after they've been out having a liquid lunch. OP hardly anyone other than yourself will notice....I hope no dealer advertising on back..

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
It's not the end of the world, but it just seems really lame and stupid of Ford to drill them out instead of letting me do it if I need to.
Yeah, that's the equivalent of friendly fire for those of us who live in no-front-plate states. I would guess that Ford provides the starter holes to prevent complaints about holes getting drilled crooked or off-center by dealers in states where front plates ARE required.

It could be worse. A lot of us could have a big ugly satellite radio antenna in the middle of the decklid, even if we have no interest in satellite radio. Oh, wait ...

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yep -- same here. Bought a used Mustang that originally lived in Missouri (front plates required). I live in Oklahoma (no front plates required), so I have holes in my bumper...

To add insult to injury, the dealership stuck their advertisement on the back of my trunk... When I pulled it off, it left some sticky residue that does not wash off... (Any idea how to get this off without damaging the paint?)

2009 Mustang GT Premium: Grabber Orange with custom black paint | 5 Speed Manual | 3.73 Gears | Custom CarFX Tune | Steeda Cold Air Intake | Steeda Axle Back Exhaust | Push To Start | Hurst Competition Plus Short Shifter | Rear Window Louvers | Window Tint | 8-inch Shorty Antenna | Parnelli Jones Race Number | ELEANOR Style Honeycomb Grille | ELEANOR Style Quarter Window Louvers | ELEANOR Vanity Plate
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012
Rookie

Use Goo Gone to remove the residue. Even a cleaner wax will work too.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I bought a set of bumper plugs (bumperplugs.com) popped them on and got the flip down license plate holder...

looks much better now....

2003 Sonic Blue Mustang SVT Cobra - 460RWHP - 480ftlbs

SOLD - 2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT Ė 401RWHP SAE - 12.64s @ 114.48mph

SOLD - 2003 Redfire Mustang GT
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Wait, I don't live in a state that requires front plates and didn't buy it in a state that requires front plates. I just have holes drilled anyway. That's why I'm ticked.

If I had to have front plates, I wouldn't give a ****.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

^^^^I understand, and I don't live in one, either. But these are mass-produced cars. There have to be some compromises to keep the line moving, and the prices reasonable.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
PONY Member

I live in a front plate state and I'm not installing one.

2012 Premium Mustang GT 5.0 MT82 Red Candy Metallic 3.73's / HID & Security Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Barton 2 Post / Borla S-type Exhaust
PONY Member

THAT WOULD last about a day here
Apprentice

i live in a front plate state and didnt want to drill the holes all the way thru so i used servo tape the rubbery kind

white 2013 gt born 5/14/12
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
It's easier for Ford than to look at the ones the lot jockey/salesperson mounted after they've been out having a liquid lunch. OP hardly anyone other than yourself will notice....I hope no dealer advertising on back..
^^I Agree^^ about the dealer advertising. Nowadays its usualy just vinyl stickems or the dealer emblem in plastic with double sided tape holding it on. I still remember when dealers would drill two or three holes in your trunk lid & put their potmetal emblems on. If they did not give you the car for free or at least give you one hell of a deal, why give them free advertising?

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
My '13 appeared to have dimples in the front bumper, but after washing, it appears I pushed paint that covered the holes out. I now have two small holes. It's not the end of the world, but it just seems really lame and stupid of Ford to drill them out instead of letting me do it if I need to. I know my dealer didn't do it.

End of rant.
They've always been dimples that are produced by the mold. They are only about 1 mm deep. They shouldn't push through unless ford is doing things differently now. There should be more than enough wall thickness of the bumper present. Perhaps a photo would be best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page