Help me decide my first mod - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: What should my first modification be?
Barton Industries short shifter with bracket 0 0%
Gt500 axleback exhaust system 17 68.00%
Other, please specify below if you choose this option 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

I was thinking the same thing when i was choosing and i almost went with the gt500 but i thought i rather go with loud than go with the gt500 and regret it because its not loud enough.After I put on my Roush axle back I turned on the car in my garage to hear it after I shut it off I went inside and my mother told me she could hear it in side I tested it myself and you can but it's not that loud. The start up is loud And if you hit it its loud but just cruzining it's pretty quiet. I jumped in my car after not driving it for a couple days and I guess I'm used to the sound because it doesnt seem that loud to me anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan 5.0 View Post
Suspension work is what I would do initially. New dampers + springs give the car a MUCH better driving feel.
I voted "other" for this very reason. My first mod was AB, but after driving with a lowered suspension really changed the car so very much on an S197. It will cost more than $400 for springs and dampers, but it's well worth it. Besides, an axle back can be put on any time. I'd save the money for the suspension, but that's me.

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerBuddysPony View Post
I voted "other" for this very reason. My first mod was AB, but after driving with a lowered suspension really changed the car so very much on an S197. It will cost more than $400 for springs and dampers, but it's well worth it. Besides, an axle back can be put on any time. I'd save the money for the suspension, but that's me.
My car is coming with the Track Pack. I know it isn't the greatest suspension in the world, but I think it will hold me over til I save up for a good suspension. The exhaust and shifters have been getting good reviews so that is the reason I started with those. There are a few really good suggestions that I would not have thought of at first though. I appreciate the help so far guys! Keep the ideas comin!

2013 Mustang GT Base ll Sterling Grey ll Mt-82 ll Track Package ll Ordered 5/21/12 ll Vin 6/22/12 ll Build date 7/16/12 ll ETA 7/21/12 ll ETA#2- 7/27/12 ll Delivered 7/24/2012

GT Member

oh and OP, if you are thinking about getting ABs first, I highly recommend you browse the classifieds. Can pick up GT500s are Roush ABs for some good prices.

Current 2012 Lexus RX350 & 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Previous
2012 Grabber Blue, GT Prem, Sold 8/20/2012

New Build:
2014 Ingot Silver Focus ST ST2 W/ Moonroof and Blue Recaro Inserts: Ordered 05/22/2014
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_SterlingGT View Post
My car is coming with the Track Pack. I know it isn't the greatest suspension in the world, but I think it will hold me over til I save up for a good suspension. The exhaust and shifters have been getting good reviews so that is the reason I started with those. There are a few really good suggestions that I would not have thought of at first though. I appreciate the help so far guys! Keep the ideas comin!
My 1300 mile 1 month review says unless you race your car, the track pack suspension is more than you need for street driving. Granted the lowered aftermarket suspensions make the car look much better but I'm not sure the performance difference can be realized without a big risk of getting arrested.

Same goes for perfomance mods......I already have to keep my throttle foot restrained quite a bit in the majority of my driving with a stock car. The idea of performance mods is very sexy but I barely get to even challenge what the car can do stock.

The GT500 mufflers made a huge improvement in my grin index. I absolutely love the sound! Plus they have the benefit of being 100% enjoyable at all times.......even with cops around.

2013 Mustang GT/DIB/Track Pack/Electronics/Comfort
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggins View Post
My 1300 mile 1 month review says unless you race your car, the track pack suspension is more than you need for street driving. Granted the lowered aftermarket suspensions make the car look much better but I'm not sure the performance difference can be realized without a big risk of getting arrested.
That's too funny. Granted the stock suspension is comfortable, but a Prius is more than anyone "needs" for street driving. If you like the nose dive, haunch squat, and body roll then keep it stock. I personally could not stand all of those (even on the street) and the 4x4 wheel gap made me want to gag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_SterlingGT View Post
I certainly hear what you're saying. If money is an issue then I'd put the AB on and work on the other stuff later. Heck, I have an AB, Barton Shifter and Bracket, and the suspension so I know how much cash can be dropped on these things. Save your pennies...but, be warned. Once you start - it never ends.

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
Rookie
S197 Member

I'm not sure if this is going to be a daily driver for you, But the exhaust was a great first mod.... Sounds like a mustang now. I love giving it an extra rev here and there.

2011 Black Mustang GT
6SP Manual | 3.73 Gears | HIDs | Sec & Anti-Theft Pkg | Brembo Brake Pkg | Comfort Package | Shaker 1000 |
Mods:
Airaid Cold Air Kit, GT500 Axle Backs
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Granted the stock suspension is comfortable, but a Prius is more than anyone "needs" for street driving. If you like the nose dive, haunch squat, and body roll then keep it stock. I personally could not stand all of those (even on the street) and the 4x4 wheel gap made me want to gag.
Couldn't agree more! Yesterday I saw another black 5.0 with stock suspension and stock 18" rims when I went back to my Mustang, as he parked his next to mine and man that wheel gap made me almost sick! Especially now that I have my new wheels that fill up perfectly the wheel wells with the Ford Racing Handling Pack suspension on, the 4X4 wheel gap on that stock 5.0 was really ugly and ridiculous (should have took some pics when I think of it), looking back I don't know why Ford is doing that... I'm really glad, not to have that look anymore!

Quote:
Save your pennies...but, be warned. Once you start - it never ends.
Yeah, I can second that! Well, at some point it should end, hopefully...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I voted exhaust. Make the mustang sound like it should! :kooky:

'11 GT
SHELBY GT 350 Member

If I had to choose only ONE mod for my car: 2005-2012 Ford Mustang GT V6 UPR Pro Series Kit Lowering Springs by Eibach at UPR Products - Lifetime Warranty!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My first mod to any car is tint! Gotta keep the interior cool and looking good.
Apprentice

I also suggest that you increase your budget and go for the FRPP Power Upgrade Pack. Have it installed by the dealer to minimize warranty concerns. You can sell the unused BS K&N filter if you don't buy into their hype and get a little bit of money back as well.

Although I suppose anything is possible, I haven't ever heard of Ford denying warranty work for the use of the Ford Racing ProCal tune. I'm really not worried about that, and I installed mine myself.

One thing I know for sure, is that the ProCal and the GT 500 combo make a dramatic improvement. It's how the car should have come from the factory...but without the BS piece of oiled window screen K&N filter of course...

I'm 41 years old, but I would seriously be mad enough to fight someone if they said I had to go back to the way it was stock! I like it that much!

If you are totally against a tune or spending more money, I choose the GT 500 mufflers.

2011 GT Coupe Premium / MT82 / 3.31 / Brembo
Red Candy Metallic / Charcoal Black / 400A
Comfort / Security / HID Headlamps
FRPP M-FR1-MGTB Power Upgrade Package
Apprentice

I would have to say the GT500 mufflers the car is to quiet stock. If you are going to upgrade the shifter and what not try the bracket first you may decide it is all you need. Also I did the steeda shifter bracket and it was reasonable at 79 bucks and change shipped to my door. I cant imagine there is a huge difference in brackets as I cannot really tell much difference with the steeda over stock.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page