rear drag wheels/tires 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Poll: what to do with $400

After my car was hit, the insurance adjuster paid me for two new wheels. The wheels were not damaged that bad, they cleaned up very well. Any damage is unnoticeable to the casual observer. That plus doing all of the work at my 65-year-old dad's body shop has saved me around 400 bucks. So here's the poll:
How would you mod your car... daily driver + weekends at the dragstrip?
A. 3.55 gears
B. longtube headers
C. electric exhaust cutouts
D. Drag wheels/tires

Any and all input is much appreciated, as always! Please defend your reasoning for your choice. I want to do all of these mods eventually, just can't decide which one the extra $400 gives me a headstart on!
Current mods in my sig.

I've spent almost every dollar I've ever made on FAST cars, COLD beer, and HOT women. The rest, I just WASTED! 2011 GT auto, Race Red w/ white C-stripes/Airaid/BAMA/Steeda cat-delete/Heartthrob 3" catback & H-pipe/Hushpowers/UPR CA's/FRPP 3.55's & diff cover/Tint/billet grilles/CDC chin spoiler/GT500wing & valance/P.A. trans pan/ARP wheel studs/AMR 18x9/10. RACEDAY: RaceStars w/big n littles. 1/8 mi. ET- 7.63.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Well gears would be your best bet. I'm not sure on the new Mustang but don't the new 5.0s already have 3.55s? If I'm wrong let me know but I would go 4.10 gears and a off road x pipe

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

i've got the 6 speed auto. Comes stock with 3.15's. thanx!

I've spent almost every dollar I've ever made on FAST cars, COLD beer, and HOT women. The rest, I just WASTED! 2011 GT auto, Race Red w/ white C-stripes/Airaid/BAMA/Steeda cat-delete/Heartthrob 3" catback & H-pipe/Hushpowers/UPR CA's/FRPP 3.55's & diff cover/Tint/billet grilles/CDC chin spoiler/GT500wing & valance/P.A. trans pan/ARP wheel studs/AMR 18x9/10. RACEDAY: RaceStars w/big n littles. 1/8 mi. ET- 7.63.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

None of the above. Everytime you see those wheels, they are going to bug you. You might not think so now, and it might take awhile, but they will.

And when it comes time to sell the car, you know the potential buyer, or the dealer you are doing the trade with, is gonna see the flaws.

Replace the wheels.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
i would either get those wheels replaced or the headers, but i don't see you getting headers for $400... your gona pay that just in installation, same with the gears.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I run on an 1/8 mi. strip. have run 7.85 several times. 60 ft. times in the low 1.9 to high 1.8 range. i want to improve on both. Hopefully, I'll be at Beech Bend, KY on Columbus Day weekend to run the 1/4 mi.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Being the juvenile in the room, I voted for the exhaust cut-outs.

2012 GT. Black. 300A, 55D.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
Apprentice

I'm assuming by your post that you have payments. My vote is to pay down the principal until it's paid off and then mod.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Out of that list, I'd get the gears (trying my best not to say 3.73s...)

That good ol' red (Boss 302), white (GT/CS) and blue (5.0)!
2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan Cheese View Post
Well gears would be your best bet. I'm not sure on the new Mustang but don't the new 5.0s already have 3.55s? If I'm wrong let me know but I would go 4.10 gears and a off road x pipe
Manual comes with 3.31s. Auto comes with 3.15s. 4.10s with an auto is a straight up race track tool. And people like running them on the street all the time too.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
None of the above. Everytime you see those wheels, they are going to bug you. You might not think so now, and it might take awhile, but they will.
Maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life!

GT Member

Replace wheels. What do they look like?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
MACH I Member

MGW Shifter.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

GT Member

For 400 bucks

Gears:
I would go 3.73 for your auto not 3.55s, I would say 4.10s but first gear in the 6-speed automatic is lower than the MT-82 first gear…

Gears, this is about the only thing on your list that 400 bucks will buy and is worth spending the money on… but you will need install money as well… if you do it yourself, deluxe gear change kit is another 120 and gear lube will run you another 60…

Long Tube Headers:
For four hundred bucks you are not going to get a set of long tube headers worth buying if there is a pair of long tubes for that amount, some tuned shorties will add some high end (high RPM) Torque and HP plus you can use factory cats if emission inspection are done…
This you can do yourself if you have every swivel socket made on earth in both US and metric sizes
http://www.steeda.com/store/bbk-2011...g-headers.html

Exhaust cut outs:
what is this the 50's… Do you have your hair greased back as well?

Rear Drag Wheels and Tires:
Once again 400 isn’t enough, 400 won’t even buy the tires and you want wheels too?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011_Mustang_GT_Specs.pdf (35.3 KB, 74 views)

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
PONY Member

new speakers and weathertech floor matts

2012 Black GT/CS; steeda ultra lights; koni yellows; max motorsports caster camber plates; fays2 watts link; f14 forgestars 20x9/20x11; nitto invo; borla axle backs; other stuff.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page