Paint Sealer and Wax on Vinyl BOSS Stripes? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Paint Sealer and Wax on Vinyl BOSS Stripes?

So I want to put a paint sealant and a couple layers of wax on my car, I'm just not sure how careful I should be with the BOSS striping. I don't think I should get any of the sealant on the stripes but what about the wax? I have McGuire's carnuba wax and Turtle Wax Ice. I'm thinking I'll use the Ice. Thanks in advance for the advice!

2013 BOSS 302 #0838 GHIG, Recaros, Torsen, 3.73s, Borla S-Types, DSS CF Driveshaft, Paxton Novi 2200, Jegs Cat Deletes, MGW Shifter, Airaid CAI, Steeda Sports, GC CC Plates, UPR LCA Relocation Brackets, J&M Adj. PHB
SOLD-
2011 5.0 Premium Kona Blue
Brembos, 3.73s, 6M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012
Banned

I've been real happy with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax. They call it a wax but it is really a sealant and Meguiars says it can be used over vinyl decals.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
I've been real happy with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax. They call it a wax but it is really a sealant and Meguiars says it can be used over vinyl decals.
Ok I might give that a try tomorrow. Thanks!

2013 BOSS 302 #0838 GHIG, Recaros, Torsen, 3.73s, Borla S-Types, DSS CF Driveshaft, Paxton Novi 2200, Jegs Cat Deletes, MGW Shifter, Airaid CAI, Steeda Sports, GC CC Plates, UPR LCA Relocation Brackets, J&M Adj. PHB
SOLD-
Brembos, 3.73s, 6M

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012
Banned

Just remember the trick when applying, is to apply it thin. Really easy on and off that way. I did mine 5 months ago and have touched up once with Meguiars Ultimate Detailer. Still beads water like crazy (I do keep car in garage).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Read the manufacturers warnings and maybe test some in a inconspicuous spot before you do the entire car. You should be "good" to go.

2011 SG Mustang Premium V6, MCA Edition, 3:31 Gears, 6 MT, Reverse Camera.
Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012
PONY Member

Most sealants and waxes are fine for glossy vinyl decals. Do a test section just in case.

2011 V6 Base Grabber Blue GBMR #082
DG Custom Side Mirrors, Tri-bar Fender Emblems, MCA Grille, Magnaflow Street Axleback, Strut Tower Brace, AM GT500 Wheels, Bama Tuned 93Race
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I read the owners manual and couldn't find anything about the stripes except not to use a high pressure wand on them. I just washed, clay barred(not the stripes), and waxed the entire car with Ice. Looks great. I'll snap some pictures when I pull it out of the garage. Thanks for the advice everyone!

SOLD-
Brembos, 3.73s, 6M
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Paint Sealer and Wax on Vinyl BOSS Stripes?-waxed1.jpg

Paint Sealer and Wax on Vinyl BOSS Stripes?-waxed2.jpg

Paint Sealer and Wax on Vinyl BOSS Stripes?-waxed3.jpg

SOLD-
Brembos, 3.73s, 6M
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

As long as they are not Matte Black you will be fine. As always with Sealants ad Wax Thin is in. I waxed the stropes on my 2007 when I had it like the rest of the car.
Rookie

OK.... Going to give accurate feedback about waxing over the Boss stripes, with pictures and details.

I just finished the day waxing the Boss. Total of 6.5 hours. I used Meguiar's NXT 2.0 liquid. I also used a standard Meguiar's foam pad for application of the wax. I used very little pressure on the edges of the decals. I applied the was, so that my foam pad was parallel to the stripe direction as much as possible. I used very light coats of wax each time, and only let it set for about 5 minutes. I used super clean microfiber towels that I only use for buffing off wax. I used quite a bit of pressure on the decals surface where possible, to make sure I got any excess that may or may not possibly absorbed any liquid wax. I also used 1-2 fingertips wrapped in the microfiber towel when wiping wax along the decal edges, and always tried to work towards the end of the decal. It wasn't hard at all, just took time...

I must say I actually think the decals look BETTER than before. They have a little more depth of black, and also still maintain the magnificent reflective properties. The pictures I am about to post, do not justify how well everything came out, but maybe it will give you a good idea that it IS OK to wax gently over your stripes for protection. Acid rain, bug guts, general dirt/dust will no longer seep into the decal surface whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Cory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page