VHT Nightshades tail lights - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

VHT Nightshades tail lights

I really did this out of boredom I have the AM Raxiom smoked tail lights they are cracking though and have to wait a few weeks for replacements. I thought these came out pretty good though. Could have been a lot better though. Oh if the car looks weird it's on wheel ramps in the picture.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail lights.jpg
Views:	11745
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	158787  

Black 2011 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012
Apprentice

Looks pretty good. How do they look when lit and close up? I just went with the pre cut taillight tint.

2011 Black Mustang GT CS 7/05/2010(Not original order)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks I attempted to record some video of the lights last night but my tablet was spazzing out and none of the videos came out right. I'll try again tonight. They do let out more then enough light at night. I screwed up a little bit on the passenger side and you can see it at night with the lights on up close. I'm no expert with anything related to painting I'm sure if someone with more experience did them they could look amazing but they still look pretty good imo.

Here's a screenshot I snapped from a video I did yesterday with the reverse lights on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail lights2.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	158791  

Black 2011 V6

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I had the tint on mine. Really didn't like it. Love the look so I pulled it off and done the tail lights and all 4 side markers. Look much better. BTW Yours looks great also.

VHT Nightshades tail lights-ipad-pic-back.jpg

2011 5.0 Gt Premium, Black,Stone Interior,400A, Shaker 1000,3.55 Gears, 19" Pirellies, Air Raid CAI, Roush Axel Backs, Bama 91 performance Tuned, Roush body package.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012
PONY Member

can you walk us through the steps you took? prep?

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang GT MT82 - 401A, Brembos, 3.73s, Reverse Sensors/Security System, GT500 Axle Backs, Raxiom Projectors with 5k HIDs, Eibach Pro-Kit, Koni STR.Ts, Ford Racing Strut Mounts, Eibach Camber Bolts, BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2s 275/35/19

Awaiting Install: JHR Shifter Bracket
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekStangGT View Post
can you walk us through the steps you took? prep?
Sure. Keep in mind you can google tutorials and they vary widely when it comes to prep. Some do a lot others don't do anything other then clean the light off. Here is what I did.

I actually did one tail light for a test a while ago but I wanted to do them at the same time so I first wiped down the tail light with paint thinner. The thinner will pretty much melt the night shades off. I also wiped the other tail light down with it as well.

The next thing I did was wet sanded it with 800 grit sandpaper. You can also use a 3m scuff pad.

I was having a really hard time keeping them free off contimants. No matter where I paint after a coat it has crap in it. After 2 coats I had a couple bugs fly into it as well. Because of this I again wetsanded it very lightly with 800 grit to try and get as much as I could.

I applied one more coat of nightshades and let it dry for a half hour or so.

I took off the tape around the reverse lights. Taping the lights took a very long time. I used scotch tape around the edge because its clear and made it easier to cut. There is a very tiny edge you can run a blade through and get a real straight and even cut. If some of the nightshades gets through your tape just dab a little paint thinner. I just used my finger I know they say not to.

I put 3 coats of clear coat on it then wet sanded it with 2000 grit.
I was told to put rubbing compound on it next, which I did but I never notice an improvement. So I just put another coat of clear and thats it.

A lot of people will just use the scuff pad and then paint. They seem to come out pretty good. Key is very light coats and don't do more then 3 coats.

It's important to get as even coats as possible because when the lights are on it will show. If you look at the picture with the reverse lights on the passenger side light far right side it doesn't look perfect. Thats because I had a run which I sanded out but you can still see it especially with the lights on.

Black 2011 V6
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012
PONY Member

I wonder how it would look with just the reverse lights tinted and the red left alone

2012 5.0 6MT - AED Tuned / Brembo Brakes / 3.73 FRPP Gears / Pypes LTH / Pypes O/R X / Boss Manifold / Steeda Intake / Bama Race Tune / GT500 Wheels / Nitto NT555's / GT500 ABs / Saleen Grille / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Interceptor Gauges / SOS Dual Pillar Pod / Koni Shocks & Struts / BMR Springs / BMR LCAs & Brackets / BMR Camber Bolts / J&M Adj Panhard Bar / GT500 Upper Strut Mounts / GT500 Steering Wheel / Roush Side Splitters / GT/CS Front Fascia / Boss Splitter / Raxiom Headlights
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal302 View Post
I wonder how it would look with just the reverse lights tinted and the red left alone
I would imagine it might look odd. Although if you did a real light amount the nightshades starts off with a redish tint so it might start to blend in with the rest of the light.
Made a quick video or rather a few quick videos put together. I have for some reason old plates of mine in my trunk they seemed to make a perfect cover for my rear plate lol. In person they remind me a lot of the '13 tail lights. They give off a dark border around the edges it gives it a great look imo.
2011 V6 Ford Mustang - YouTube

Black 2011 V6
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal302 View Post
Did it a while back with dark smoke tint. Looks 10x better than the ugly white reverse lights to me.

MACH I Member

VHT'd all my lights except headlights, fogs and reverse lights:

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VipeRS View Post
VHT'd all my lights except headlights, fogs and reverse lights:

Yea I did the same. I'm considering doing the fogs really light. I have the smoked raxiom headlights so I'm sure the clear fog lights stand out some.

It looks really good, what was your prep like?

Black 2011 V6
Apprentice

[quote=Rickyv90;3111539]Yea I did the same. I'm considering doing the fogs really light. I have the smoked raxiom headlights so I'm sure the clear fog lights stand out some.

I really like the raxiom smoked headlights. Price is ridiculous tho. plus i already have HIDs so i might just get some covers for show.

2011 Black Mustang GT CS 7/05/2010(Not original order)
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyv90 View Post
Yea I did the same. I'm considering doing the fogs really light. I have the smoked raxiom headlights so I'm sure the clear fog lights stand out some.

It looks really good, what was your prep like?
My prep was spot on, however, I did not sand between any of the coats (I later paid for it in fixing one run). Here is what I did:

Washed them
50/50 mix with rubbing alcohol & distilled water
Taped off what I didn't want VHT'd
2k grit wet sand very well (using some dawn and distilled water) until every bit is cloudy, but don't sand too 'hard'

First VHT coat should be a light spray (I call this a half coat) & let dry well
Then I followed with 3 coats VHT
Finished with 5 coats of 3M Acrylic clearcoat
Then let dry very well

Sand again, very lightly with 2k grit + dawn water
Scratch remover (really gotta work it on this step)
Paint sealant/wax

If I were to do it again and wanted a perfect application, I would have sanded with 4k or 6k grit between each layer (super time consuming) and used a 4k or 6k grit on the last sanding before the scratch remover. I've done professional looking paint jobs with rattle cans, it just takes so very much time and effort (I put in 200hrs into the interior of my old S10 - it turned out show quality).

What I did was a quick and dirty look good for about 5hrs of my time (watching tv between each 15 minute dry).

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page