For those with the Saleen Grille - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

For those with the Saleen Grille

I really like the design of this grille, but after seeing it on my black car, the plastic looks really greyish and, well... plasticy. Has anybody thought about painting it a satin black to give it a higher quality look? I might try it tonight or tomorrow night. I also noticed the sides of the grille come up off the bumper. I used the pin at the center and that helped it, but the sides still come up. Anyone have a solution to that?

2011 GTCS
Officially too many mods to list...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
PONY Member

I put a piece of foam plastic under mine, it helped.

2014 Grabber Blue Premium5.0

The Past: 2007 FireRed GT
2012 V6Performance White
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
Apprentice

mine was totally flush with the bumper... might want to look into that plastic dip stuff...

2011 Black Mustang GT CS 7/05/2010(Not original order)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
PONY Member

My sides don't come off of my bumper for some reason. I don't mind the plastic look of the grille but I think it would be interesting to see what it looks like if you paint it so be sure to post up some pics!

2012 5.0 6MT - AED Tuned / Brembo Brakes / 3.73 FRPP Gears / Pypes LTH / Pypes O/R X / Boss Manifold / Steeda Intake / Bama Race Tune / GT500 Wheels / Nitto NT555's / GT500 ABs / Saleen Grille / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Interceptor Gauges / SOS Dual Pillar Pod / Koni Shocks & Struts / BMR Springs / BMR LCAs & Brackets / BMR Camber Bolts / J&M Adj Panhard Bar / GT500 Upper Strut Mounts / GT500 Steering Wheel / Roush Side Splitters / GT/CS Front Fascia / Boss Splitter / Raxiom Headlights
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal302 View Post
My sides don't come off of my bumper for some reason. I don't mind the plastic look of the grille but I think it would be interesting to see what it looks like if you paint it so be sure to post up some pics!
yeah might look really good painted. It just matches fascia and rocker panel moldings so well

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
PONY Member

The only possible issue I could see with painting it is the fact that it'll be really prone to rock chips due to where the grille actually is

2012 5.0 6MT - AED Tuned / Brembo Brakes / 3.73 FRPP Gears / Pypes LTH / Pypes O/R X / Boss Manifold / Steeda Intake / Bama Race Tune / GT500 Wheels / Nitto NT555's / GT500 ABs / Saleen Grille / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Interceptor Gauges / SOS Dual Pillar Pod / Koni Shocks & Struts / BMR Springs / BMR LCAs & Brackets / BMR Camber Bolts / J&M Adj Panhard Bar / GT500 Upper Strut Mounts / GT500 Steering Wheel / Roush Side Splitters / GT/CS Front Fascia / Boss Splitter / Raxiom Headlights
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
BOSS Member

Garage
My grille fits great but I used 3 push pins. I wouldn't change anything.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
My grille fits great but I used 3 push pins. I wouldn't change anything.
Not only that.. you would never had known how much air you were restricting with those two small openings in the factory grill

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The plastic is pretty flexible. Make sure you use a good adhesion promoter and some bumper/trim paint. If you try anything it may chip easily. I wouldn't use that Krylon plastic paint, takes for ever to dry and doesn't stay very well. Try "SEM" paint products, they are absolutely the best for plastic and vinyl painting. They are expensive, maybe $15.00 a can but the stuff kicks much ass! Try an automotive paint supply store or online.

2011 SG Mustang Premium V6, MCA Edition, 3:31 Gears, 6 MT, Reverse Camera.
Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket
Apprentice

sorry for thread jack, quick questions -

Anyone of you know if the Pony Grille Emblem by 3dCarbon will fit in the center of the Saleen grille?

Thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoka05 View Post
sorry for thread jack, quick questions -

Anyone of you know if the Pony Grille Emblem by 3dCarbon will fit in the center of the Saleen grille?

Thanks
It can but you have to sand the area flat. It won't stick in the center because the grill I pointed in the front. I put the tri bar pony on the driver side.

2011 GTCS
Officially too many mods to list...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page