Anyone put in a GT500 shift boot? - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
Bizzaro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Panama City
Posts: 225
 
Anyone put in a GT500 shift boot?

So I've decided on a Boss shift knob:
Mustang Boss Black Shift Knob

I'm also going to put in a new shift boot (not a fan of the collar adapters for the 400A package). They have both the stock 401A boot:
Mustang Leather Shift Boot

...and the alcantara GT500 boot:
2010-2012 Mustang GT500 Alcantra Shift Boot

Has anyone popped in the GT500 boot? If so, how does it look and fit? The site says it will need some slight modding to fit. The GT500 boot only costs $5 more, but I wanted to see if anyone here has tried it.


2013 GT Premium. Deep Impact Blue / Charcoal 400A Recaro / Track Pack / Nav / Glass Roof / Reverse sensing / Backup Camera
VIN: 10 March 2012 / Window Sticker: 28 March 2012 / Build Date: 2 April 2012 / Picked Up: 19 April 2012
Mods: MSVTLA SVT Sport Axlebacks / MGW Shifter / JHR Clutch Line / Boss Shift Knob / GT500 Shift Boot / Better Speakers / Lots of Dynamat and Dynaliner / Rear: Koni Yellows, 55D Springs, BMR Panhard Bar / Front: Awaiting Spousal Approval
Bizzaro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
blowndeadline's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Saint Clair Shores
Posts: 895
 
I've done a custom boot, not sure exactly the details about FORD OEM boots. I would assume they will come with the trim ring pre-installed unlike custom which needed to be glued on to the existing trim ring after the factory boot was removed. The entire process is pretty straight forward, maybe 20 minutes tops!




2011 SG Mustang Premium V6, MCA Edition, 3:31 Gears, 6 MT, Reverse Camera.
Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket
blowndeadline is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
Apprentice
 
Judged88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Naples
Posts: 208
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndeadline View Post
I've done a custom boot, not sure exactly the details about FORD OEM boots. I would assume they will come with the trim ring pre-installed unlike custom which needed to be glued on to the existing trim ring after the factory boot was removed. The entire process is pretty straight forward, maybe 20 minutes tops!

Man that interior looks amazing! Love what you did with the stripe! Any details? Looks like 3m Di-noc but not entirely sure...

Borla ATAK Axle-backs, GT500 rear valence, JLT Carbon Fiber CAI, Black Roush shift kit/Knob, Roush Quarter Window Louvers, 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler, 15% Tint All Around, Blacked out rear end, Blue LED Dome Lights, Silver Horse Racing Blue LED Push Button Start, AMR Charcoal wheels 255/45/18 and 275/40/18 Nitto NT555
Judged88 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
Apprentice
 
whitebomb's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: orange county
Posts: 97
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzaro View Post
So I've decided on a Boss shift knob:
Mustang Boss Black Shift Knob

I'm also going to put in a new shift boot (not a fan of the collar adapters for the 400A package). They have both the stock 401A boot:
Mustang Leather Shift Boot

...and the alcantara GT500 boot:
2010-2012 Mustang GT500 Alcantra Shift Boot

Has anyone popped in the GT500 boot? If so, how does it look and fit? The site says it will need some slight modding to fit. The GT500 boot only costs $5 more, but I wanted to see if anyone here has tried it.

i installed the boss knob and leather boot. fit fine. I didnt need to mod anything. Took me about 15 min to do the switch. very easy, just have to be careful when pulling the old boot to not break the taps that hold the boot in. i just used a flat head to pry and make it easier to remove the boot. oh and the boot doesnt look the way it does in the picture.

i have a 2012 v6

2013 5.0
whitebomb is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
Apprentice
 
whitebomb's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: orange county
Posts: 97
 


this is the boot you get. i called them before i ordered it, so i know i was getting this boot. the picture they have is old and see they still havent changed it. i like it. it looks better then in my pic, crappy picture

2013 5.0
whitebomb is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
blowndeadline's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Saint Clair Shores
Posts: 895
 
The vinyl is 3M Di-Noc. Just did the stripe because I originally wanted to see what it looked like all red. As you can see by the passenger door, I hate it so that will be done the same. Also did the vent and gauge bezels in the CF. Turned out pretty decent I think.

2011 SG Mustang Premium V6, MCA Edition, 3:31 Gears, 6 MT, Reverse Camera.
Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket
blowndeadline is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
dmordan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 73
 
I was interested in picking up the same knob. Does anyone know if this knob by itself will fit with the 201a (V6 Premium) shift boot or do you have to order both parts?

2013 DIB V6 Premium, Sport Appearance PKG, Tape Stripe Delete, 3.31 ratio, Boss 302 Shift Knob, Airaid CAI, Borla S-Type Mufflers.

Traded in: 2007 Mustang 4.0L V6. C&L intake, C&L 93 tune, Flowmaster American Thunder axel-back, Sequential Tail Lights, Billet grill with Tri-Bar Pony logo. Low on power, miss it anyways.
dmordan is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
blowndeadline's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Saint Clair Shores
Posts: 895
 
From the picture above it looks like you at least need the jam nut. I have a grabber pony custom shift knob and their polished jam nut.

The Boss knob does come with the collar so you should be good to go!

2011 SG Mustang Premium V6, MCA Edition, 3:31 Gears, 6 MT, Reverse Camera.
Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket
blowndeadline is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012
Apprentice
 
Rextang's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Rochester Hills
Posts: 52
 
I have the Boss knob, GT500 shift boot, and e-brake boot in my base GT. Compliments the GT or GT500 steering wheel nicely. Back to your question on the shift boot:
Step 1: cut off the tab on the underside of the upper ring. I used a sharp pocket knife.
Step 2: Test fit the ring over the shifter shaft while holding it upside down. If it fits, simply reassemble. If not...
Step 3: Get a pocket knife with a sharp blade and stick it in the hole until the blade touches the plastic. Gently rotate the blade all the way around the inner diameter, letting it remove the mold parting line. A tapered round file would do the same if you have one.
Step 4: Test fit and repeat until the ring slides over the shaft without binding and sits flush with the step in the shifter shaft

My shift knob was not rock solid on the first try. It rattled at 5-6k rpm. If you have this issue, I recommend plumbers tape or gas line tape (thicker, yellow thread tape). It was a bit of trial and error to achieve a very snug fit and proper alignment of the knob shift pattern, but now it neither vibrates or rotates from daily usage.

Enjoy

2011 Kona Blue 300A - 6M - 3.55 / Koni Sport Dampers / Whiteline LCA's / GT500 Mufflers
Rextang is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
Bizzaro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Panama City
Posts: 225
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rextang View Post
I have the Boss knob, GT500 shift boot, and e-brake boot in my base GT. Compliments the GT or GT500 steering wheel nicely. Back to your question on the shift boot:
Step 1: cut off the tab on the underside of the upper ring. I used a sharp pocket knife.
Step 2: Test fit the ring over the shifter shaft while holding it upside down. If it fits, simply reassemble. If not...
Step 3: Get a pocket knife with a sharp blade and stick it in the hole until the blade touches the plastic. Gently rotate the blade all the way around the inner diameter, letting it remove the mold parting line. A tapered round file would do the same if you have one.
Step 4: Test fit and repeat until the ring slides over the shaft without binding and sits flush with the step in the shifter shaft

My shift knob was not rock solid on the first try. It rattled at 5-6k rpm. If you have this issue, I recommend plumbers tape or gas line tape (thicker, yellow thread tape). It was a bit of trial and error to achieve a very snug fit and proper alignment of the knob shift pattern, but now it neither vibrates or rotates from daily usage.

Enjoy
Thanks for the help. I went ahead and ordered the GT500 boot. I'm not planning on putting in a boss or GT500 steering wheel, but I think the white stitching will look good with the white stitching on the recaros. I'll put up pics when I get it all in.


Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

2013 GT Premium. Deep Impact Blue / Charcoal 400A Recaro / Track Pack / Nav / Glass Roof / Reverse sensing / Backup Camera
VIN: 10 March 2012 / Window Sticker: 28 March 2012 / Build Date: 2 April 2012 / Picked Up: 19 April 2012
Mods: MSVTLA SVT Sport Axlebacks / MGW Shifter / JHR Clutch Line / Boss Shift Knob / GT500 Shift Boot / Better Speakers / Lots of Dynamat and Dynaliner / Rear: Koni Yellows, 55D Springs, BMR Panhard Bar / Front: Awaiting Spousal Approval
Bizzaro is offline  
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
dmordan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 73
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndeadline View Post
From the picture above it looks like you at least need the jam nut. I have a grabber pony custom shift knob and their polished jam nut.

The Boss knob does come with the collar so you should be good to go!
Unfortunately you do have to order the shift boot as well. The Boss knob comes with the billet stalk attached so there's no way to use it with a jam nut adapter and it didn't come with a flat ring. Oh well, I'm pot committed at this point. It's only a 10 dollar difference between the boot and the jam nut anyways...

Anyone got a good resource with pics on how to remove the factory boot and install the Boss one?

D

2013 DIB V6 Premium, Sport Appearance PKG, Tape Stripe Delete, 3.31 ratio, Boss 302 Shift Knob, Airaid CAI, Borla S-Type Mufflers.

Traded in: 2007 Mustang 4.0L V6. C&L intake, C&L 93 tune, Flowmaster American Thunder axel-back, Sequential Tail Lights, Billet grill with Tri-Bar Pony logo. Low on power, miss it anyways.
dmordan is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
Bizzaro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Panama City
Posts: 225
 
So I got the boss shift knob and the GT500 shift boot. Here is what it looks like. I'm pretty happy with it. I think the white stitching in the suede boot looks really good with the white stitching on the steering wheel and the recaros. My only minor complaint is the lack of a trim ring at the top of the boot.

Removing the old shift boot was a pain. I ended up breaking some of the plastic slots in the old boot because the tabs from the center console fit really tightly in there. I didn't break any tabs, though, and the new boot popped in fine. The rest of the install was easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg
Views:	3826
Size:	708.4 KB
ID:	160052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0655.jpg
Views:	2462
Size:	887.4 KB
ID:	160053  

2013 GT Premium. Deep Impact Blue / Charcoal 400A Recaro / Track Pack / Nav / Glass Roof / Reverse sensing / Backup Camera
VIN: 10 March 2012 / Window Sticker: 28 March 2012 / Build Date: 2 April 2012 / Picked Up: 19 April 2012
Mods: MSVTLA SVT Sport Axlebacks / MGW Shifter / JHR Clutch Line / Boss Shift Knob / GT500 Shift Boot / Better Speakers / Lots of Dynamat and Dynaliner / Rear: Koni Yellows, 55D Springs, BMR Panhard Bar / Front: Awaiting Spousal Approval
Bizzaro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1