2012 GT Base Aftermarket Head Unit Lessons - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012 Thread Starter
kdx
Rookie

2012 GT Base Aftermarket Head Unit Lessons

I just replaced the stock headunit and speakers on my 2012 GT and have learned a few things:
  1. I installed the Boss steering wheel to get rid of the plastic one that comes with the base model. When I installed the new Pioneer 2400BT with the PAC interface the controls on the steering wheel all worked. No dealer programming required.
  2. Since I didn't have the pre-installed Sirius antenna on the back hood I put the antenna under the carpet on the back deck. There is a brace that the antenna fits perfectly in to. Totally hidden and great reception.
  3. I then had the car tinted and lost reception on Sirius. It turns out the tint had a metallic layer that interferes with the signal. I had the tint lady remove the stuff from the rear window and replace it with a ceramic base tint. Works perfectly now.

2012 GT Ingot Silver Metallic 6MT Base-302 Boss Steering Wheel-Pioneer 2400BT-Infinity Speakers-Tint-32% sides, 20% back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012
PONY Member

Thats interesting that the boss steerling wheel buttons work on your head unit. I have a base too and I was looking into a new steering wheel/head unit eventually. Where'd you pick up that head unit from?

2012 5.0 6MT - AED Tuned / Brembo Brakes / 3.73 FRPP Gears / Pypes LTH / Pypes O/R X / Boss Manifold / Steeda Intake / Bama Race Tune / GT500 Wheels / Nitto NT555's / GT500 ABs / Saleen Grille / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Interceptor Gauges / SOS Dual Pillar Pod / Koni Shocks & Struts / BMR Springs / BMR LCAs & Brackets / BMR Camber Bolts / J&M Adj Panhard Bar / GT500 Upper Strut Mounts / GT500 Steering Wheel / Roush Side Splitters / GT/CS Front Fascia / Boss Splitter / Raxiom Headlights
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012
PONY Member

And post pics! What dash kit did you use?

2000 GT. Track toy.
Stock motor, Maximum motorsports suspension, Cobra R wing, Stoptech brakes, TKO tranny, much more.
2013 GT, White, Track Pack, Recaro. SOLD
KW V3 coilovers / Whiteline UCA, LCA's & Brackets, F&R Swaybars, Watts link / Brake cooling ducts / Boss 302 shift knob / Steeda short shifter / .

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012
Apprentice

I've got a Boss wheel installed as well - do you mind me asking what head unit & dash install kit you used?

2012 Kona Blue GT | Base | M82 6MT | Boss 302 Steering Wheel | JHR Shifter Bracket | Koni STR.T | FRPP P-Springs | 18" AMR Charcoal Wheels
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football76 View Post
I've got a Boss wheel installed as well - do you mind me asking what head unit & dash install kit you used?
He said the Pioneer 2400BT in his first post. No idea on the dash kit though

2012 5.0 6MT - AED Tuned / Brembo Brakes / 3.73 FRPP Gears / Pypes LTH / Pypes O/R X / Boss Manifold / Steeda Intake / Bama Race Tune / GT500 Wheels / Nitto NT555's / GT500 ABs / Saleen Grille / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Interceptor Gauges / SOS Dual Pillar Pod / Koni Shocks & Struts / BMR Springs / BMR LCAs & Brackets / BMR Camber Bolts / J&M Adj Panhard Bar / GT500 Upper Strut Mounts / GT500 Steering Wheel / Roush Side Splitters / GT/CS Front Fascia / Boss Splitter / Raxiom Headlights
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012 Thread Starter
kdx
Rookie

The pioneer head unit 2400BT was from stereoonline.com. I used the Metra 99-5823 replacement panel. I know they have a new one with an LCD, but at twice the price and alot of SYNC functionality that I do not need. The fit and color of the 5823 is dead on. I will take some pics this weekend.

2012 GT Ingot Silver Metallic 6MT Base-302 Boss Steering Wheel-Pioneer 2400BT-Infinity Speakers-Tint-32% sides, 20% back
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012 Thread Starter
kdx
Rookie

Correction **** onlinecarstereo.com

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Just wanted to add my .02 cents:

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
I concur. I didn't get Navigation in my car and I think it would be a nice upgrade.

2012 Premium Mustang GT 5.0 MT82 Red Candy Metallic 3.73's / HID & Security Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Barton 2 Post / Borla S-type Exhaust
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Darn!, beat me to it

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to tormenting5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to tormenting5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Darn!, beat me to it
Come on, pics please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PONY Member

I wonder how much better the metra kit is at keeping sync functionality? I recently put the MS-FRD1 into my '12 f150 and I wish I wouldn't have wasted the $140+ on the stupid interface. Sync is now useless and pisses me off more than anything. I think the worst part is that if I use sync for phone calls it completely shuts down the z140bh when you are in a phone call. This ends up being a big pain in the arse when you are using the navigation and a phone call comes in when you need directions.

What harness did you use?
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal302 View Post
Thats interesting that the boss steerling wheel buttons work on your head unit. I have a base too and I was looking into a new steering wheel/head unit eventually. Where'd you pick up that head unit from?
I'm running a Kenwood head unit using the ASWC steering wheel interface on a base model. I have the gt500 steering wheel. It auto detected just fine. On the the gt500 wheel the Bluetooth buttons initially did not work,but that was expected. The second steering wheel control wires for sync/bt is missing from the harness,but the connections in the clock spring is there. After adding those two wires the sync/but buttons work too. I've written a bunch about it in another post.

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012 Thread Starter
kdx
Rookie

Pics of the final install. Not sure where the bluetooth microphone will end up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0135.jpg
Views:	1567
Size:	1,005.3 KB
ID:	158971   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0131.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	158972  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
base , headunit , sirius

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page