Ford Mustang Forum banner

Trade in ?

4K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  Nogi88 
#1 ·
Im wantin to get rid of my current 5.0 and get a '13 with the options and tranny I want. I talked to a dealer today while gettin an oil change. They offered me 25k for my car and the '13 at invoice. I know I could get more if I sold it myself but I don't have the time... Plus I'm not much a salesman. What do u guys think? My car is a cali special, close to perfect with 12000 miles.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#2 ·
Btw, as I'm pulling in my drive way I notice smoke rolling out the exhaust. Turns out they over filled my oil.

#4 ·
Damn only $25K for a C/S? I traded my base model 3.73 2011 GT with 16k miles for $25k (Baltimore MD area)!

#6 ·
I hear u but this was originally my wife's car. All the options and tranny was picked by her. When she decided she wanted a new car, so I took this car over. Well, I'm tired of driving an auto and don't want the car any more. So I either pay for a car I don't want or get something I like. I owe low 20s so I ain't hurting too bad. Money comes and goes.

#8 ·
Why not just get a 11 or 12 with a manual? The 13's arent' all that different unless you wanna lose almost 10K just for a little LCD screen and 8 hp.

#9 ·
There isn't many '12 left around here and if they are it's a base. I'm wanting a track pak with recaros.

#10 ·
Looks like the OP already made up his mind.

You gotta pay if you want to play.
If you can afford it we'll then why not?

and if you can afford it... You won't regret it.

Look out for some rebates and get that new 5.0 below invoice!

Good Luck

#13 ·
Thanks man. I'm honestly not worried bout the money. I've been on the road for the last year so there's plenty of green to go around. I just don't wanna give the car away and I don't wanna bother with selling it if I can get a decent offer. Id rather lose money than pay for something I don't want.

#11 ·
Disconnected numbers don't mean as much as what did you pay for the 2011 and what do you owe on it now? Hows does the $25K offer for your car in its present condition compare to what the big sites quote for your car as a trade-in?

If you have equity in the present car (in other words does that $25K provide some down payment money?) getting the new one at Invoice doesn't sound that bad too me. Its probably not something you want to do if you are going to be upside down at all in the new loan though.

Everyone acts like it's so easy to sell a car personally. That's true when you are talking about a few grand for an old Civic, but when the dollar amount is up there to the point where people need to get financing it's a total PITA.

#15 ·
I paid 32k I think and I owe 23k now. I've put a little in to mods but I'm goin a different route with my new car so I don't care to lose em. I went thru 4-5 four wheelers in the last couple years and I know how hard it was to sell them for 4-7k. I can't imagine how hard it's gonna be to sell a 25k+ car.

#19 ·
Im wantin to get rid of my current 5.0 and get a '13 with the options and tranny I want. I talked to a dealer today while gettin an oil change. They offered me 25k for my car and the '13 at invoice. I know I could get more if I sold it myself but I don't have the time... Plus I'm not much a salesman. What do u guys think? My car is a cali special, close to perfect with 12000 miles.

What did u pay for the 11 new?
If around $35,000 and your getting $25,000 + $4,000 off sticker I say go for it.
$6000 loss is nothing & you make up for it being it's a 2013 2 years newer!
Life is short enjoy it while you can you sure can't take it with you in the end!

Good luck :bigthumbsup

#20 ·
It might pay to take that puppy to CarMax for an appraisal. My last vehicle netted me 1900 more than the dealer was going to give me in trade. It really is a clean, no hassle process. They look it over and make you an offer. You have a week or so to close the deal if you want.

#36 ·
This is very good advice. I wasnt a believer in Carmax either. I took my 2008 F-150 Lariat to them after being offered 19k by the dealer last summer. It took all of an hour from the time I got there to the time they wrote me a check. I had a clear title in hand. So they would just write you a check for the difference. I bet they give you 27-27.5 for it. Especially if it is clean and with the mileage you stated. Dealer offered 19k. Carmax gave me 23k. Best 7 miles I ever drove. Only thing that would make Carmax tell you no is if it has previous accident claims attached to the VIN. If no accidents then it is a short and easy process. Find a Carmax....it is worth the trouble. Did I mention it was my own dealer that Im employed at that only offered me 19k? They eat their own in this business. Always have....

#21 ·
+1 on the Carmax idea. Getting multiple quotes on your trade isn't ever a bad idea. As long as they're willing to give you invoice before all of the incentives on the new at worst and a fair market value on your trade and you're ok with it, I say go for it.

I hated the first car I had with a passion. I didn't even want it, but I was 18 with no credit history, an E1 in the military and it was all I could afford while needing a car. So, I did it and regretted it every day since. I had to pay to drive a car that just made me feel horrible every time I got in it and it sucked beyond belief. If you can swing it comfortably and you're not getting taken on the deal, I say do it. I pay a little more now then I did for that first car and I pay it with an ear to ear grin. :D

#22 ·
i appreciate the help & advice. i'm gonna try another dealer or two tomorrow and see what happens. i might as well hit up carmax, too.

fridaygt, looks like u got the same car ordered that i want.

#23 ·
Cool, well good luck to you man. I went to a couple of places before I found the one that was willing to give me the numbers I wanted. Just took some patience.

Cool! When I do eventually get it, I'll be sure to throw up as many pics as I can to give you something to look at while waiting!

#24 ·
Sometimes people over think trade values. It is the total bottom line that you should look at. $25k sounds very fair for a 2 year old car that was 32k new. The NADA can show 29k but there is not a dealer around that would pay that for it. A good way to figure a trade value is to go to Cars.com. See what simuliar cars are selling for retail in the area. Back it up 3 to 4 thousand and that is the typical trade value. KBB.com is probally the closet site for a value of the sites out there. Good luck.

#26 ·
i traded it in today and ordered the new one. i got 27,500 for mine and invoice plus rebates on the new one.

#27 ·
Sounds pretty freaking perfect to me man! :thumbup:

#30 ·
ya, i was pleased w/ what i got. i prolly coulda got a little more if i sold it myself, but i'm way too busy for that. i ordered a grabber blue 5.0, track pack, recaros, 3.73s and tech pack. now w/ my luck, i won't get the car til october.

#31 ·
Base or Premium?

Sounds like a nice car!

I always have "new-car-itis", but I just can't justify selling mine with the 15's right around the corner. I have a 2011 GT premium with 373's and only about 10K miles on her. She still looks new. It's just been too good of a car to sell. I plan on having it paid off (or pretty close) when the 15's come out. I figure at that point I may order a new one. I'm hoping for 475-500 HP from the MY15 :bigthumbsup

Fact is, as much as I would like a new car every two years the guy in me that wants to retire someday just can't do it, with that said, I am glad to hear you got a good price for your trade. Not a bad deal at all.

#32 ·
base. ive never really been a fan of leather, so i saved some cash. i wanted nav, but i would have ended up w/ a 40k sticker. if i spent that much, i might as well get the boss, ya know? mine was a great car, too. im not gonna lie, i got kinda teary eyed when they pulled it away, lol. i bought the car for my wife, and she wanted a cs/auto. i got tired of driving an auto, so im making the switch. thanks, man!

#33 ·
That "Below Invoice" and rebates and X-Plan jazz, is all the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. <That's all a bunch of dealership double talk to make you think that You are the special customer that is getting his car super cheap, and the dealership is only making $200 on it. Yeah right. I have some ocean front property in Indiana for sale.

The only thing that matters is the bottom line, or what are the payments for how long?

btw, I'm one of those guys that don't make up excuses for borrowing money for something I don't need. I don't owe anyone in this world a penny. Get yourself out of debt and it's amazing how fast the money piles up. Ok, I'll get off the soap box and shut up now.

#37 ·
I apologize for the rant. I get started, and don't know when to shut up.

Dealers pizz me off. I had my Mustang ordered for 6 weeks. The day before I was to take ownerership, the price jumped $582.

#38 ·
KBB is pretty much a waste of time on calculating trade in value... Dealers look at what they can give for one at the auto auction and value your car from there(wholesale)... Use the Black Book value and it is a more realistic number to what a dealer will give you for trade... why do you think people call them stealerships?

#41 ·
yeah, how about that revised engine that makes the exact same dyno numbers as the MY 11/12 and eliminates oil squirters (desirable for many people).

now once they get direct injection....that will be a truly revised engine worth upgrading too IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.