Need service advice for 2013 Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Question Need service advice for 2013 Mustang

Hey guys --

So my 2013 Mustang was smelling horrible when the car had the heat or air conditioning blowing. I took the car to the Ford dealership. When it was off, the tech actually said he could smell it and it smelt horrible. They had it for an hour and said it was fixed.

A couple weeks later, the air was very week. As the summer got hotter, the air got warmer. I took it in -- as well as the external temp was 15-20 degrees off. They had the car 5 hours and said nothing could be replicated or verified.

The air started the nasty smell again and the air really was not getting cold. I took it back in. They called me and asked if they could keep it overnight -- and they would get me a rental. I said yes, so I got a rental and they kept it overnight. They called me at 9am the next morning and informed me the compressor was broken. This was the result of the air not keeping up and the terrible smell.

They told me to pick it up, they would get the part in a few days later, and they would call. This is when I got the car back. I thought it was weird -- a quarter of a tank was gone. Hmm. Maybe I am wrong -- maybe I had less gas or the gauge was off. I took a look at the paperwork. My car was returned with 4711 miles, but the car was brought in with 4689 miles. 22 miles? To test a compressor? They hadn't even replaced it at this point.

They never called, so I called them about the compressor. The part was in and they told me to bring in the car, and leave it overnight.

So now I have a new compressor. I still don't think the air gets very cold, and my car was returned with 22 miles.

22 miles is a lot more than around the block... and a quarter of a tank is a lot more than 22 miles. So, they drove it REALLY hard or left it running for quite awhile.

I called the Ford Complaint Center and they said I need to take up the milage thing with the dealership. What do you guys think? :?:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I think we ought to start a BLACK LIST OF BAD FORD DEALERS!

2013 Black GT/CS. Electronics pkg. Comfort, 3.73. CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna. JLT Oil Separator. 20% rear 50% front tint. Clearbra. Flip Down License Plate Holder.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I just called another ford dealership. They said they road test the cars generally 20 miles. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

ESP being air conditioning related..

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Next time when you sign the work order write no test drives and then sign it

2013 GT, Borla S-type cat back, Eibach Pro-kit springs, Forgestar F14
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012
Apprentice

Since the aircon compressor only runs when the engine is running, I'd imagine it might have been idled for quite a while as the new system was tested. 22 miles is quite far though.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock69342 View Post
Since the aircon compressor only runs when the engine is running, I'd imagine it might have been idled for quite a while as the new system was tested. 22 miles is quite far though.
You don't need to drive an inch to test the A/C. Park the car in the sun for 5 minutes, get in it, start the engine, turn on the A/C and the compressor will come on immediately.

They were out screwing around in the guys car.

2013 Black GT/CS. Electronics pkg. Comfort, 3.73. CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna. JLT Oil Separator. 20% rear 50% front tint. Clearbra. Flip Down License Plate Holder.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012
Grimace427

I am a tech with Mercedes and unless the complaint is driveability related I find it a huge waste of time to road test like that. The more time spent joy riding is less time getting paid. Our valet's are not allowed out on the road unless shuttling customers or cars to and from our bodyshop accross the street. Next time you bring it in just note down the mileage with the advisor and make it clear that you are paying attention to how your car is treated.

To your technical concern, I don't see how the compressor can make a bad smell unless it is siezing up. If that is the case then it is possible that debris from internal seals and components has moved down the a/c lines and may be clogging the expansion valve. I use a thermometer when doing a/c work and a good system will get below 40 degrees(but not below 32 for obvious reasons). Test yours and if it does not get under 50(usually acceptable) then take it back and have them show you exactly how much freon has been charged.

When I have a customer complain about musty smells from the vents I use BG Frigi Fresh which is a spray that is applied right before the blower motor and circuilated throughout the vents(both heat and a/c). It has worked great for me over the years.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
I am a tech with Mercedes and unless the complaint is driveability related I find it a huge waste of time to road test like that. The more time spent joy riding is less time getting paid. Our valet's are not allowed out on the road unless shuttling customers or cars to and from our bodyshop accross the street. Next time you bring it in just note down the mileage with the advisor and make it clear that you are paying attention to how your car is treated.

To your technical concern, I don't see how the compressor can make a bad smell unless it is siezing up. If that is the case then it is possible that debris from internal seals and components has moved down the a/c lines and may be clogging the expansion valve. I use a thermometer when doing a/c work and a good system will get below 40 degrees(but not below 32 for obvious reasons). Test yours and if it does not get under 50(usually acceptable) then take it back and have them show you exactly how much freon has been charged.

When I have a customer complain about musty smells from the vents I use BG Frigi Fresh which is a spray that is applied right before the blower motor and circuilated throughout the vents(both heat and a/c). It has worked great for me over the years.
So I did just what you said. I bought this at auto zone, drove around for 20 minutes and this was the reading. Today it is 100 degrees fahrenheit.

My in car temp reads 112 degrees outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	159420   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	159421  

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The image somehow got flipped, but it reads right above 60.

PONY Member

Yeah...my external temp is off as well on my 2013. I noticed it immediately as I pulled out of the lot. It said it was 104. It was a hot day (in the 90s), but definitely not 104. The dealership is in NH for god's sake. From what I can gather, my car displays a temperature about 5-10 degrees hotter than it actually is. This is even when moving. Not that big a deal to me, though. I'm not exactly making life-changing decisions based on what a thermometer tells me.

2014 GT Coupe, 3.73 gears, Security Pkg
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizon View Post
Hey guys --
So my 2013 Mustang was smelling horrible when the car had the heat or air conditioning blowing. I took the car to the Ford dealership. When it was off, the tech actually said he could smell it and it smelt horrible. They had it for an hour and said it was fixed.
A couple weeks later, the air was very week. As the summer got hotter, the air got warmer. I took it in -- as well as the external temp was 15-20 degrees off. They had the car 5 hours and said nothing could be replicated or verified.
The air started the nasty smell again and the air really was not getting cold. I took it back in. They called me and asked if they could keep it overnight -- and they would get me a rental. I said yes, so I got a rental and they kept it overnight. They called me at 9am the next morning and informed me the compressor was broken. This was the result of the air not keeping up and the terrible smell.

They told me to pick it up, they would get the part in a few days later, and they would call. This is when I got the car back. I thought it was weird -- a quarter of a tank was gone. Hmm. Maybe I am wrong -- maybe I had less gas or the gauge was off. I took a look at the paperwork. My car was returned with 4711 miles, but the car was brought in with 4689 miles. 22 miles? To test a compressor? They hadn't even replaced it at this point.
They never called, so I called them about the compressor. The part was in and they told me to bring in the car, and leave it overnight.
So now I have a new compressor. I still don't think the air gets very cold, and my car was returned with 22 miles.
22 miles is a lot more than around the block... and a quarter of a tank is a lot more than 22 miles. So, they drove it REALLY hard or left it running for quite awhile.
I called the Ford Complaint Center and they said I need to take up the milage thing with the dealership. What do you guys think? :?:
Hello Vizon,

It sounds like you already had this experience documented with us. The info you were provided regarding the mileage is correct. Since the dealers are independently owned and operated, we usually recommend for you to speak with the General Manager or the Service Manager. You can PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can make sure this was documented in our systems and I can escalate the AC concern for you.

Deysha
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I was discussing the external temp readings on Mustangs with another local owner one day and we figured that because the sensor is mounted so low on the car it is actually reading the temp coming off the street. I have noticed if I am sitting or driving on dark asphalt it will read higher than on concrete or light worn asphalt.

Not sure if this is true or not, really more of an observation.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
GT Member

Hmm, my external temp is spot on. If it says 104 outside, so do all the banks and other places that show the external temps.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
My truck is always spot on (except for the first minute or so after start up) but the Mustang always seems 10-15 degrees high on hot sunny days, yet pretty accurate on cold days, or very late at night after the sun has been down for a few hours.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I had a bad smell in one of my Ford products. It turned out to be fungus in the a/c system. They tried everything, I finaly traded the car after fumigating it for the umphteen time

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page