Installed DVD/NAV Using New Metra Kit - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Installed DVD/NAV Using New Metra Kit

I installed a Clarion VX401 with the add on NP401 nav unit today. I used the new metra kit (99-5826ch). I also installed four Polk Audio DB571. Install was pretty easy. I mounted the nav unit in the trunk under the package tray and routed the cable under the rear seat/carpet/center console. Because of that I just went ahead and ripped out almost the entire interior and used it as a good time to vacuum/shampoo the carpet. The GPS antenna was mounted inside the car on top of the package tray so that I didnt have to drill a hole and have a magnate just sitting on the paint.

The jury is still out on the new metra kit. I think it looks clean and simple. The interface is easy to use, but washes out almost completely in sunlight.

The DVD/NAV is pretty nice. Easy to use and looks clean. The maps are accurate and actually yelled at me when I was speeding. That feature was turned off quickly. I have only made one BT call so far and the distant end said it sound like I was in a tunnel. This could possibly be do to the fact that the rear seat wasnt installed yet.

The DB571 sound good but lack low end bass. But that is to be expected. I might need to add a sub to even things out.

Pics Stereo Install - Imgur

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Nice install. Makes you wonder why Ford even bothers to put those crappy speakers in in the first place. With their buying power they could do much better at what it costs them to install junk.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

U.S. Navy veteran 1964-1968
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
Banned

I'm sorry but I hate the look of the metra dash kit! And the new one is worse than the old one. I would definitely be going with the schoshe kit.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
PONY Member

Changing the skins doesn't help with sunlight? I plan on using that kit when my car arrives but I can't make myself pull the trigger. That screen looks so small, but the first Metra kit looks cheap. There's not much out there on the Scoshe so I can't make up my mind. Please update your opinions after you've had a few days to use it.

Also, are you only powering the 6x8's with the radio and no amp? If so, how's the sound and power? Do you think it needs an amp on the 6x8's?
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

I think the screen is the same size, or pretty close at least, to the Scoshe kit but looks way smaller since it doesnt have the buttons on the sides. The reason I went for this one was do mostly to the fact that it eliminated the factory radio display. Since my car doesnt have sync the radio display would only show time and temp. That would drive me nuts. Alpine is coming out with a "Perfect Fit" setup that uses the Scoshe style interface and eliminates the factory display. It is designed specifically for one of their high end Nav units. Its $2100 for the HU/adapter.

Not using an amp right now. The HU provides enough power, but an amp would definitely make it sound cleaner.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
PONY Member

Thanks man, that makes sense about looking smaller without the buttons on the side and the top screen bugging with only the temp, I think it would bother me too. I've seen that Alpine setup and there's no way I'm spending that much, lol. I got a good deal on a JVC HU and have some 6x8's waiting on my car to arrive. I put the Polks in the front of my 11 and it definately sounded better. I kept getting crackling from the passenger side and I thought it was blown so I just put in some cheap 3-way Pioneers which actually sounded better. Turns out the speaker harness was just loose so I'll put the Polks in the rear of my 13 with Pioneers in the front. I'm gonna see how it sounds with just the HU but I might just get a 5 channel amp since I'm gonna put in a sub too.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog1157 View Post
Thanks man, that makes sense about looking smaller without the buttons on the side and the top screen bugging with only the temp, I think it would bother me too. I've seen that Alpine setup and there's no way I'm spending that much, lol. I got a good deal on a JVC HU and have some 6x8's waiting on my car to arrive. I put the Polks in the front of my 11 and it definately sounded better. I kept getting crackling from the passenger side and I thought it was blown so I just put in some cheap 3-way Pioneers which actually sounded better. Turns out the speaker harness was just loose so I'll put the Polks in the rear of my 13 with Pioneers in the front. I'm gonna see how it sounds with just the HU but I might just get a 5 channel amp since I'm gonna put in a sub too.
Was your car a Base or Premium? I'm wanting to swap speakers at a minimum, but hate the aftermarket brackets/surrounds. They just look like crap to me, too much open space, look cheap I guess. I love the head units, but the dash kits they sell still suck.

I'd pay double what a aftermarket setup costs to retrofit the factory nav into the car. My biggest/only complaint about the 13' I just purchased is that the factory speakers sound like garbage. My Jetta TDI and VW Tiguan with base speaker packages sound 100x better.

**Note - I do have the base radio, no Shaker 500. Curious what the door panels cost if I want to swap those out and get the larger speaker pods. Suggestions? Does anyone know the part numbers, or a site i can look up part numbers for oem ford parts? **

2013 Mustang GT Base (Black, 301A, Track Package & Recaros) Barton SS/Bracket, GT500 Mufflers Coming Soon: Steeda Sport Springs - 2010 VW Tiguan SE (4Motion, APR Chip) - 1995 BMW M3
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofoo View Post
Does anyone know the part numbers, or a site i can look up part numbers for oem ford parts? **
oem parts catalog. Tousley Ford Parts Depot
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
+1 on that haha

2012 5.0 6MT - AED Tuned / Brembo Brakes / 3.73 FRPP Gears / Pypes LTH / Pypes O/R X / Boss Manifold / Steeda Intake / Bama Race Tune / GT500 Wheels / Nitto NT555's / GT500 ABs / Saleen Grille / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Interceptor Gauges / SOS Dual Pillar Pod / Koni Shocks & Struts / BMR Springs / BMR LCAs & Brackets / BMR Camber Bolts / J&M Adj Panhard Bar / GT500 Upper Strut Mounts / GT500 Steering Wheel / Roush Side Splitters / GT/CS Front Fascia / Boss Splitter / Raxiom Headlights
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I really have to tell you that I was excited to see that someone created a thread about this product.

However, I wont sugar coat anything by telling you I think the product doesn't fit the car at all. I think it looks extremely cheap.

If anything, the AC controls (smaller screen) should be below the larger one.. It still wouldn't persuade me purchase one because I just think it looks cheap.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium
|Black/Black 400a | Brembo | 19"Gunmetals| DMH Low Profile Electric Cutouts | HID Projectors | DDM Tuning Slim 5k Headlights | DDM Tuning Slim 5k Foglights|Roush Eibach Pro Kit | Smoked' Vinyl Overlays |
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
oem parts catalog. Tousley Ford Parts Depot
Looks like it's not a comprehensive list.. I need to find someone who is knowledgeable in the electrical and control systems for the NAV system. I'd like to start putting together a parts list and start the retrofit.

Has anyone done it?

2013 Mustang GT Base (Black, 301A, Track Package & Recaros) Barton SS/Bracket, GT500 Mufflers Coming Soon: Steeda Sport Springs - 2010 VW Tiguan SE (4Motion, APR Chip) - 1995 BMW M3
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Im sorry... But to me the Scosche kit looks way better. Got mine for 249$ off Amazon and bolted right up. Literally took 5 minutes after I did the wiring harness for the screen. Which is a Pioneer AVH-P4400 with everything but nav i got for 399. Came with microphone for bluetooth and i got an Ipod cord for 49$ that does audio and video. My high end is ran off of a 1000x4 dbdrive amp and its the highest grade Kicker 6x8s they make, lows are a 750rmsx1 Kicker amp on a Solobaric L7 12 inch sub... Sounds amazing. Also the Scosche A/C control doesnt get washed out at all by sunlight. This picture says different but its always very bright and readable. It also dims down when you turn on your headlights and you can set each brightness to your liking. On another note, for an aftermarket radio, if you want to have the radio come on with the car on accessory like stock... Run your accessory wire from your head unit to the fuse box to the ACCESSORY DELAY fuse and use one of those add a wire fuses or just smash it in there on the fused side of the fuse. Even my stereo shop was saying there was no way to make the stereo work on accessory and id i have to live with it only coming on with the ON position. Proved them wrong

Going to get the box rebuilt for more user friendly trunk space. Or possibly get 2 10s.. I only used this sub and amp combo because i got them for 240$ and they are 479 for speaker and like 450 for amp brand new...

2012 Base GT/MT-82/3.73 KONA BLUE
JLT INTAKE/AED TUNE/PYPES A/B
CUSTOM 3 INCH MIDPIPES/DYNAFLO ULTRAFLO X MUFFLER/NO CATS
J&M CONTROL ARMS/ADJUSTABLE PANHARD/FORD K SPRINGS
KICKER SOLOBARIC L7 12"SUB/KICKER 750X1
4 KICKER 6X8s/dbDRIVE 1000X4
PONY Member

I do think that looks better than the Metra. Does your stock LED screen not show temp or direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaBlueKiller View Post
Im sorry... But to me the Scosche kit looks way better. Got mine for 249$ off Amazon and bolted right up. Literally took 5 minutes after I did the wiring harness for the screen. Which is a Pioneer AVH-P4400 with everything but nav i got for 399. Came with microphone for bluetooth and i got an Ipod cord for 49$ that does audio and video. My high end is ran off of a 1000x4 dbdrive amp and its the highest grade Kicker 6x8s they make, lows are a 750rmsx1 Kicker amp on a Solobaric L7 12 inch sub... Sounds amazing. Also the Scosche A/C control doesnt get washed out at all by sunlight. This picture says different but its always very bright and readable. It also dims down when you turn on your headlights and you can set each brightness to your liking. On another note, for an aftermarket radio, if you want to have the radio come on with the car on accessory like stock... Run your accessory wire from your head unit to the fuse box to the ACCESSORY DELAY fuse and use one of those add a wire fuses or just smash it in there on the fused side of the fuse. Even my stereo shop was saying there was no way to make the stereo work on accessory and id i have to live with it only coming on with the ON position. Proved them wrong

Going to get the box rebuilt for more user friendly trunk space. Or possibly get 2 10s.. I only used this sub and amp combo because i got them for 240$ and they are 479 for speaker and like 450 for amp brand new...
PONY Member

I'd like to see one where NAV goes on top.

2011 Mustang 5.0 2SLOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page