Should Ford do something like this for the Mustang? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
2006GTfan

Should Ford do something like this for the Mustang?

Porsche 911 button packs a loud punch - Yahoo! Autos

Would be nice. have the stock sound in the mornings so the neighbors don't complain and then switch it off once you get out on the street. Or if you see cops you can turn it off to not grab attention.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
its basically just an electronic redirect switch. The boss 302 has it built in but it automatically changes to the side pipes thay are before any muffler when your flooring it.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

yeah Z06 has it too...vacuum operated, you can install it on any car, callled "cutouts", they can be manual or electric...jegs and others sell them

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would definitely order that next time around if were on the options list. Hot.

I'd like to see a better button graphic from Ford though... maybe a snarling Pony with steam coming out his nose.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
2006GTfan

I don't understand what the Vette, Camaro, Mustang, Challengers all come with such quiet mufflers.

What they should come with is something like the Roush axlebacks.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
Apprentice

Cutouts/bypasses are NOT the same thing as the Z06's exhaust valve.

2013 GT Premium Coupe || Deep Impact Blue on Stone || Track || Electronics || Comfort

Borla S-Type AB :: Koni Yellows :: Steeda Sports :: Steeda HDCPs :: Fays2 Watt's :: SR SSK w/Barton bracket :: Et cetera
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006GTfan View Post
I don't understand what the Vette, Camaro, Mustang, Challengers all come with such quiet mufflers.

Because not all of us want to annoy the neighbors every time we come and go.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
PONY Member

Jaguar's XK and XKR has a similar valve system, but isn't manually operable. You have to use your right foot to control it! :kooky:

'00 Mustang V6 -- current
'12 Mustang V6 PP -- former
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
Because not all of us want to annoy the neighbors every time we come and go.
I think it could be offered as a factory option. I don't see why the Ford Racing "sport" exhaust couldn't be offered as a factory option. They could just charge the $650 and call it "sport" exhaust. I would've bought it. Now that I already have the car, $650 seems too expensive, though.

2013 Race Red GT/CS 6MT; Elec Pkg; RAAMat on the doors; Morel Tempo 5x7 coaxials; GT500 axle-backs painted black
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
yeah Z06 has it too...vacuum operated, you can install it on any car, callled "cutouts", they can be manual or electric...jegs and others sell them
Had them on some of my cars in the "old" days. Didn`t cost anywhere near the 2Ks that Porsche wants.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Banned

Quote:

You clearly have never heard in person the Roush axle back system. Ford sells these cars to the masses and made to be livable every day with a conservative mindset. Not everyone who buya this car is interested in a super aggressive setup.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
You clearly have never heard in person the Roush axle back system. Ford sells these cars to the masses and made to be livable every day with a conservative mindset. Not everyone who buya this car is interested in a super aggressive setup.
That's very true...easy enough and cheap to change the axle backs. When I first got the GT I thought it was pretty loud stock, I put on some GT500's that came with the Ford Racing kit and was a little worried it was too loud at first but I love them now. Stock quiet when cruising but when you get on it the sound is sweet as honey. There is a guy 2 streets over from me that has an 02 or 03 Mustang with an exhaust from hell on it. I hear him start it, back up, and drive away almost every day. I know where he lives but not because I want to know where he lives. I bet his neighbors on his street hate him.

Last week I met up with a sunburst yellow 5.0 which was so loud I had to roll up my windows, it actually hurt to hear it...it was this real loud high pitch brappy sound you could here a mile away. All I could think about while my ears were ringing was this guy likes that sound and paid money to get it.

2012 Mustang 5.0 - 2002 Focus ZTW - 2012 Kia Soul - 1969 Mustang GT
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:

and lose hundreds of thousands of sales so it would meet the needs of a select few? It might be hard to believe but a lot of mustang owners have them not because their fast and loud, but because they are decently priced and look cool. I see more grandma's driving around in mustangs, that probably don't want their car to scream every time they want to go to the senior citizens club

maybe if louder pipes where part of a performance package or something, so they don't lose so many sales because people want a nice cheap good looking car.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
GT Member

It would be moronic. Why would they do something as stupid as that and kill their sales?

Senseless.

Quote:

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
PONY Member
S197 Member

They need to adhere to dba levels under any circumstances so they play it safe and just put quiet ones on there. To keep costs of the car down, they don't put all sorts of expensive mufflers and the switch-eroony setup on there.

And... they know that not everyone mods the heck out of their car so they let people do that on their own. Porsche knows that everyone who can afford one of the expenso-mobiles can afford extra crap like that.

Sent from a lumpy rock in my lawn using Hammer & Chisel
Over: 2008 GT Premium, Black, Smoked out LED taillights, Roush window louvers, Cervinis Type IV ram air hood & hood struts, Ford Racing FR500s axlebacks, Cravenspeed stubby antenna, CDC Classic chin spoiler
Under: JLT 3 Intake with Brenspeed tune, Koni shocks & struts, J&M Extreme rear LCA's, J&M adj panhard bar, Strut tower brace, Charcoal AMR wheels, Conti Extreme DW tires 255/45/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page