HID headlgiht opinions? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Post HID headlgiht opinions?

Im wanting to get an HID conversion kit for my mustang and i know stangmods.com has one but its $250. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get a kit cheaper but not a cheaply made kit. Kindof wanna stay away from ebay. Also does anyone know if you can find the stock HID headlight off of a 2011+ and put it where the stock lights are?

2014 Grabber Blue Premium5.0

The Past: 2007 FireRed GT
2012 V6Performance White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007MustangRed View Post
Im wanting to get an HID conversion kit for my mustang and i know stangmods.com has one but its $250. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get a kit cheaper but not a cheaply made kit. Kindof wanna stay away from ebay. Also does anyone know if you can find the stock HID headlight off of a 2011+ and put it where the stock lights are?
The stock headlights go for $3,400 retail so they will probably be hard to get your hands on.

2013 Boss Recaro seats and Torsen diff.

Sold 2011GT HRE P40SC 19" Staggered wheels / FRPP 525hp supercharger / Pirelli PZERO / Wilwood bbk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bernice1 View Post
The stock headlights go for $3,400 retail so they will probably be hard to get your hands on.
Good god haha no way im buying those.

2014 Grabber Blue Premium5.0

The Past: 2007 FireRed GT
2012 V6Performance White

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

If you are just getting HIDs and no new headlight housing you can get them pretty cheap. Ebay has them for like $20-30. Of course someone will come in here and cry about the glare, I wouldn't recommend doing this. The kits don't last and the glare can POSSIBLY be an issue.

I bought the Raxiom Projector housings from AM they are designed for halogens bulbs but they work pretty good with hids. But stay away from cheap kits they seem to get hotter and melt the headlight housing. I've never heard of anyone having an issue with HIDs from DDM Tuning. Without all the options it should cost around $80 for the bulbs and the housings are normally $320.

Black 2011 V6
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I can verify that price being in the ballpark, I had an ordered car come in late last year as an "11 that the dealer forgot to order the HIDs. The price of the parts alone added up to $2,300.00 and the dealer really didn't even want to do it due to the complexity. Funny how it looks just plug 'n play from the outside but I guess nearly everything is different underneath.

Not exactly what you were talking about, but if I still had my '09 I'd be all over these...

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
PONY Member

Really, all you need are the headlights, a relay harness, some minor wiring, and a brain. I've looked into this, and I'm not sure why dealers and whatnot get so gun shy or insist on replacing the entire headlight harness.... You can get the headlamps with bulbs and ballast for under $1000. The harness is not needed unless you want to waste a lot of money. The headlights each need a fused hot at all times power source, and the relay harness is needed to ensure the low/high beam functionality works. You can use normal aftermarket fuse holders for the power, I plan on locating the factory BJB minifuse terminals and adding the circuits to use the factory HID fuses. The hot pin is already in place in the BJB. It'll look much cleaner.

Personally, I plan on using the 2013 headlights if I can confirm the fitment is the same as ours. I dig the LED's and the darker color when compared to the 10-12's, and since ALL models have them standard, I'm thinking they will drop in price quite a bit as more hit the road. The 10-12's will always be more rare since they are not standard, and I don't like the way they look anyways.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I've seen the OEM HID headlight housings on eBay, not sure if they come with bulbs and ballasts. I'm definitely glad I opted for them when I purchased my car!

2011 SG Mustang Premium V6, MCA Edition, 3:31 Gears, 6 MT, Reverse Camera.
Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
PONY Member

Do i custom retrofit.

will run you $1000 or less if you shop around.

2011 Mustang 5.0 2SLOW
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
PONY Member

The replacement housings come with the bulb and ballast, so they should be included unless they were removed for some reason.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page