Anyone watch the "Road America" race today on Speed? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Anyone watch the "Road America" race today on Speed?

Kick ass race. Jack Roush Jr. and Billy Johnson won second in a Boss 302R and are second in Grand-Ams Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge overall.

Grand-Am: Roush Performance Mustang Boss 302R finishes second at Road America | Mustangs Daily

2012 Boss Laguna Seca #290 and 2015 PP Ecoboost (Daily Driver )
Previous: 2011 GT, 2000 Camaro SS, 93 Lightning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK50 View Post
Kick ass race. Jack Roush Jr. and Billy Johnson won second in a Boss 302R and are second in Grand-Am’s Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge overall.

Grand-Am: Roush Performance Mustang Boss 302R finishes second at Road America | Mustangs Daily

Yes, love the series!!! The Roush Mustangs are actually RS3s not Boss 302Rs. Dorsey Schrader said today Billy Johnson's car had a 427 in it. Not sure if he misspoke, or not? The series has swayed me into buying Conti DWs as opposed to the Michelin pilot super sports. I was at Daytona for the opening race this year. Billy Johnson won that race. Great time to be in a 2012 Mustang!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Correction: Posted the wrong link in the original post and they're 4th overall, up from 6th after winning second in Elkhart Lake, WI.

The RumBum Porsche 997 won the race by .611 seconds.

Roush Performance continues Grand-Am momentum with second place finish at Road America | Mustangs Daily

http://www.grand-am.com/Standings/ContinentalTire.aspx

2012 Boss Laguna Seca #290 and 2015 PP Ecoboost (Daily Driver )
Previous: 2011 GT, 2000 Camaro SS, 93 Lightning

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012
glock22357

I'm confused. Did they win, or come in 2nd place?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22357 View Post
I'm confused. Did they win, or come in 2nd place?
2nd by .6. If the lead 911 had blinked Billy Johnson and the Roush RS3 would have won. The RS3 lead most of the race, but the Porsche passed late due to not wearing the tires like the RS3 does. Less weight and less displacement has been Porsche's winning formula for decades. It still works. That and awesome brakes!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012
J Orbit

I've been a fan of that series for years. I think it's easily the most exciting american road racing series on TV, along with world challenge. The rolex series is interesting but I prefer showroom stock cars.

Man the end of that race was insane, Billy Johnson conserved his car all the way to the end and then he was pushing hard! I think the only reason he didn't beat the rumbum car is because the brakes were done after all the downhill corners. Why the teams didn't dial in more rear brake bias to prevent lockup is beyond me. Great race though, I hope the multimatic driver in the focus wasn't too seriously hurt.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012
Apprentice

i wish the races were live.

2011 3.7L 6sp Performance Package, Ext. Black, Bone Stock with the exception of an oil change.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Road America is an awesome track. I had the opportunity to drive around it back in the late '80's and it is one insane lap.

That was a crazy race, especially with all the issues in the ST class near the end there. I really thought Johnson was gonna move the Porcshe going into the final corner, and I am really surprised the Mustang couldn't pull him on the run up the hill. I guess the 500 lb weight penalty was just to much to overcome.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012
PONY Member

The Mustang are crushing the competition in Grand Am and Drift as well. Great car

2012 Mustang 5.0, Auto, HID headlamps, comfort/security pkg, Front LCA's, Saleen Grill, GT500 rear valence, GT500 mud guards, GT500 mounts, GT500 AB, Eibach Pro/Koni STR.T, BMR Adj. Panhard, JLT Oil Seperator, Lloyds 5.0 Mats/Trunk Mats, StopTech ST40, 245/40/20 (F), 275/35/20 (R), Stock Dyno = 373.9 RWHP / 341.2 TQ, Build Date 06/11
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
Road America is an awesome track. I had the opportunity to drive around it back in the late '80's and it is one insane lap.
Just got back from a weekend HPDE there. I suppose there's an appeal to parking lots, ovals, and/or quarter miles to people, but give me a road course and try to wipe the off my face. Road America especially. Four freaking miles, three freaking 130-140 mph sections (for novice track day'ers) per lap. There was a Boss 302 casualty this time though (the car, not the driver).
The experience makes watching the pros race there that much more fun as well.
Banned

Did anybody else notice that the race Mustangs of 2013 vintage all had Halogen headlights as opposed to the HIDs. Didn't I read that HIDs were standard across the Mustang line for the 2013s? That must mean that 1) HIDs can't take racing abuse, 2) too expensive to replace, 3) The cars are really 2012s with a 2013 front clip, 4) drivers prefer the yellowish glow of halogen to the blueish tint of the HIDs. Any, or all may apply?
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
Yes, love the series!!! The Roush Mustangs are actually RS3s not Boss 302Rs. Dorsey Schrader said today Billy Johnson's car had a 427 in it. Not sure if he misspoke, or not? The series has swayed me into buying Conti DWs as opposed to the Michelin pilot super sports. I was at Daytona for the opening race this year. Billy Johnson won that race. Great time to be in a 2012 Mustang!
They are labeled RS3's on their side stripes but I think they are actually built as Boss302R's. I can't find the concrete info on that right now, however they certainly do not run 427 engines but rather Boss302 Roadrunner engines.

2011 Continental Tire Sports Car Festival at Laguna Seca Race Recap - StangTV
Anyone watch the "Road America" race today on Speed?-wdmp_110708_1508.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
Did anybody else notice that the race Mustangs of 2013 vintage all had Halogen headlights as opposed to the HIDs. Didn't I read that HIDs were standard across the Mustang line for the 2013s? That must mean that 1) HIDs can't take racing abuse, 2) too expensive to replace, 3) The cars are really 2012s with a 2013 front clip, 4) drivers prefer the yellowish glow of halogen to the blueish tint of the HIDs. Any, or all may apply?
HID headlights might not be class legal.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
They are labeled RS3's on their side stripes but I think they are actually built as Boss302R's. I can't find the concrete info on that right now, however they certainly do not run 427 engines but rather Boss302 Roadrunner engines.

2011 Continental Tire Sports Car Festival at Laguna Seca Race Recap - StangTV
Attachment 159678

HID headlights might not be class legal.
Nah, the M3s all had their OEM headlights. The 911 did too. Also, I saw the winning RS3 with its hood up at Daytona. It was supercharged, i.e. Roush charged. I was not able to determine displacement. It could have been a 302, or not? However, no way it was a 427 AND supercharged. Either Dorsey mis-spoke, or it really had a normally aspirated 427?
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I think he may have just mispoke-he got the opportunity to drive the new 427 Corvette earlier in the week this was taped (Road America was taped two weeks prior, the race was held the same weekend that Grand Am and Nationwide Series raced there-the weekend the Cup Series was in Sonoma).

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
I think he may have just mispoke-he got the opportunity to drive the new 427 Corvette earlier in the week this was taped (Road America was taped two weeks prior, the race was held the same weekend that Grand Am and Nationwide Series raced there-the weekend the Cup Series was in Sonoma).
Yeah probably, but where Jack Roush cars are involved you just never know. I wouldn't put it past Jack to find some wiggle room in the rule book to allow his cars to sport a 427. Over the years I've seen him bring some concoctions to Sebring that were outragous and definitly flirting with the back pages of the rule book. One year to the 12 hour race he brought what he called a Mustang GTX. The only car entered in the GTX class. It was a mixture of SCCA trans am, IMSA GTO and Indycar. Yes, the car actually had an indy car rear wing on it. It was almost as fast as the GTP cars of the day. I don't know what engine he had in it, but it belched 6 foot flames and sounded awesome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page