Is 94 octane gas worth it? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt.rosenfield View Post
my mistake..I'm man enough to admit when i'm wrong.
You were not wrong. This is the first car I have owned that adjusts power from different octane. Any other car and you would be 100% correct.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Usually, fuel octane is important to an engine because of detonation. There are alot of factors that will cause an engine to 'ping', but it is usually due to the combustion chambers heat, or advanced timing. Retarding the timing(if possible on the new cars), will lower the temperature in the engine. Detonation is actually an explosion, rather than an even burn of the air/fuel charge within the combustion chamber. It is literally like taking a hammer to the top of the piston. 94 octane fuel will actually cool these temps. It also becomes easier for the engine to maintain an even burn. When leaded fuel was phased out, the fuel companies had to used something else to cool those temps. What they mainly added was sulfur.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLZuB View Post
91 from shell is the way to go.

94 from sunoco is not a true 94...it has tons of ethanol to boost it up. If you don't need 94 stick to shell. Shell is the purest we get and contains zero ethanol. You'll find your car runs better on shell and gets better fuel mileage.
Well that's interesting info. I've been running Sunoco 94 religiously since I installed my Track Cal. If only I knew what pinging sounded like...

2013 GT 6MT (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page