Is 94 octane gas worth it? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Is 94 octane gas worth it?

I know not all gas stations offer 94 octane gas. But a few around me do. I dont specifically go to the gas stations with the 94 octane gas, but when I do, I opt for the higher octane/ more expensive fuel.... and I dont even know why. I also kind of feel that putting in 94 octane only some of the times rather than all the time defeats the purpose.

I can only assume it burns cleaner and perhaps gives more power or fuel economy as the fuel ads always claim.

But is it really worth it?

I have a 2012 GT with no performance mods (yet)...except my Roush AB which dont really count.

I know most of you guys are from the USA but here is the price difference for me when I filled up this morning (price per litre)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	20232
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	159749  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
HBO
Apprentice

You probably get a power gain, I'd run the 94 at every opportunity at that price difference!

2012 GT, Candy Red/Saddle,Premium,6M,3.73,Brembo,HID,RR Sensors,Steeda Sport Springs and Dampers,Adj. Panhard,GT500 Axlebacks

Fastlane Motorsports

---Ted Nugent for President---
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

if you buy a tank a week you'd spend about $11 extra over the 87...to me if you drive a Mustang GT and $11 a week will break you it's time to trade for a Honda...or brown bag your lunch once a week

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
PONY Member

I always run Shell 91 with Bama race tune but started to run Petro Canada 94 with 93 octane tune and car runs like a beast.

20 x 8.5 - 10 TSW Nurburgring rims, 255/45/20 Nitto Invo, 315/30/20 R888 Toyo Proxes, Steeda LCA, Steeda Panhard bar, Roush UCA, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit, Eibach coilovers, C&L CAI, Kooks 1 -3/4 Kooks headers and offroad x-pipe, Magnaflow street series cat back, Boss 302 intake, AED tune, Circle D 3700 stall, FRPP 3.31, DSS carbon fiber drive shaft, Vortech JT 8 rib kit 3.48 pulley, ID 1000 injectors, Fore Innovations return style fuel system, LMR braided brake lines.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
GT Member

When you convert that to US dollars and US gallons, it is about a 26 cents more per gallon for the 94 istead of the 91... so for 16 gallons it would be 4.16 in US dollars for a tank full...
For highway driving, I wouldn’t waste my money for anything over 91... For sport driving, I would do it... hell when I go to the track I run 100 or 104 octane for 8.49 a gallon or 2.18 a liter... I normally go through 6 to 8 gallons over the week end...
Does it make a difference, I think so... but the best thing it does, it makes the car more consistent... No timing pull at high RPM's… added HP

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Yeah, I never put anything lower than 91 octane. I should have mentioned that.

Im sure the difference is minimal but I guess I will just keep putting in the 94 whenever I get the chance.

Like Calgarybandit explained, when I get a tune I can run the 93 octane race tune.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
PONY Member

I wish I could get 94. And we don't have any unleaded 100/104 around here. Suppose I could dump some torco in.

2012 Premium Mustang GT 5.0 MT82 Red Candy Metallic 3.73's / HID & Security Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Barton 2 Post / Borla S-type Exhaust
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
GT Member

On a stock car it's probably not worth it especially if the gas station is simply blending more ethanol into the fuel to raise the octane levels. On an aftermarket tune it could be good piece of mind for keeping that pesky #8 cylinder happy.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
On a stock car it's probably not worth it especially if the gas station is simply blending more ethanol into the fuel to raise the octane levels. On an aftermarket tune it could be good piece of mind for keeping that pesky #8 cylinder happy.
This is actually the major draw I have to Chevron 94 for a lot of older engines and my bikes. They say right on the pump contains NO ethanol. Ethanol can eat some of the older style fuel lines and seals.

On newer motors I don't worry, but if you get 94 from Chevron, it has no ethanol.

I would say fill up with 94 a few times then try a lesser grade. Then decide if it's worth the difference, if there is any.

I did this to compare 94 to 87 and noticed no difference so I just run 87, but I am driving a V6.

2012 Premium V6 Mustang, Candy Red, Performance Package, Manual.

Mods: Steeda Sports, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mount, UMI LCA's, UMI Panhard Bar, Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings.
Apprentice

You can get 110 octane race fuel here for about $8.00/gallon. Personally don't think it is worth the price.

Base 2013 Mustang GT convertible, MT, race red w/301A package, JLT air/oil separator, JHR shifter bracket, K&N air filter
Apprentice

okay with out getting into this long discussion, you are not gonna see a difference on a stock mustang running prem fuel over it's recomended fuel untill you tune it to take advantage. it does have a knock sensor that will auto retard timing but running prem fuel will not allow it to push more than stock timing.
"In terms of actual energy content, higher octane gas can often surprisingly be lower in energy content. Want a higher octane gas? Add alcohol to it. Alcohol has only about 60 percent of the energy of gasoline, but it has a much higher octane rating.The oil companies don't help matters either. They advertise higher octane as "supreme" as if it is somehow better gasoline. It isn't. It may be better or it may be worse, and the octane rating alone won't tell you which it is. Often, the higher octane gasolines burn slower, which may make them run very poorly in your particular car.The oil companies don't help matters either. They advertise higher octane as "supreme" as if it is somehow better gasoline. It isn't. It may be better or it may be worse, and the octane rating alone won't tell you which it is. Often, the higher octane gasolines burn slower, which may make them run very poorly in your particular car."
so as long as you use "good" fuel from a major gas station chain you will see optimum performance.

2013 Black V6 6MT 20" Menzarri rims, Airaid intake, Bama tune, 3.73 gears, muffler delete, Corbeau TRS seats, Stack Racing strut bar...Custom shift knob on order.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt.rosenfield View Post
okay with out getting into this long discussion, you are not gonna see a difference on a stock mustang running prem fuel over it's recomended fuel untill you tune it to take advantage. it does have a knock sensor that will auto retard timing but running prem fuel will not allow it to push more than stock timing.
"In terms of actual energy content, higher octane gas can often surprisingly be lower in energy content. Want a higher octane gas? Add alcohol to it. Alcohol has only about 60 percent of the energy of gasoline, but it has a much higher octane rating.The oil companies don't help matters either. They advertise higher octane as "supreme" as if it is somehow better gasoline. It isn't. It may be better or it may be worse, and the octane rating alone won't tell you which it is. Often, the higher octane gasolines burn slower, which may make them run very poorly in your particular car.The oil companies don't help matters either. They advertise higher octane as "supreme" as if it is somehow better gasoline. It isn't. It may be better or it may be worse, and the octane rating alone won't tell you which it is. Often, the higher octane gasolines burn slower, which may make them run very poorly in your particular car."
so as long as you use "good" fuel from a major gas station chain you will see optimum performance.
You're partially right. The new Copperhead ECU in the 5.0's adjusts power according to what octane you are running. For instance, in the owners manual it states 420 hp was achieved with premium fuel. I believe it states you will only see 402 hp running regular fuel. In my 2011 manual, it states the 412 hp rating was achieved with premium fuel and only 402 with regular fuel.
Dyno's have shown more hp running premium vs regular fuel. So to sum things up, you will make more power in the 5.0's by running premium due to the ECU adjusting timing.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
You're partially right. The new Copperhead ECU in the 5.0's adjusts power according to what octane you are running. For instance, in the owners manual it states 420 hp was achieved with premium fuel. I believe it states you will only see 402 hp running regular fuel. In my 2011 manual, it states the 412 hp rating was achieved with premium fuel and only 402 with regular fuel.
Dyno's have shown more hp running premium vs regular fuel. So to sum things up, you will make more power in the 5.0's by running premium due to the ECU adjusting timing.
I think american muscle did the same dyno testing with the 3.7L and came to a similar conclusion. I can't remember right now but I believe it was around 5 hp difference between 87 and 91. In cars this powerful it's gonna be hard to feel 5-10 hp, 15-20 you should be able to feel.

sgt.rosenfield was right that the computer retards timing when it dectects knock, it's just at what point does the computer stop adding timing? It's proven it is benificial to run 91 over 87, has it been proven running 94 makes more power over 91? What about race gas?

2012 Premium V6 Mustang, Candy Red, Performance Package, Manual.

Mods: Steeda Sports, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mount, UMI LCA's, UMI Panhard Bar, Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings.
Apprentice

my mistake..I'm man enough to admit when i'm wrong.

2013 Black V6 6MT 20" Menzarri rims, Airaid intake, Bama tune, 3.73 gears, muffler delete, Corbeau TRS seats, Stack Racing strut bar...Custom shift knob on order.
Apprentice

91 from shell is the way to go.

94 from sunoco is not a true 94...it has tons of ethanol to boost it up. If you don't need 94 stick to shell. Shell is the purest we get and contains zero ethanol. You'll find your car runs better on shell and gets better fuel mileage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page