tires and wheel question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

tires and wheel question

Hi people,

I need some good advice on what to do if anything.
I just bought a 2013 mustang gt, and I do not like the tires on it,
they are just too narrow looking to me. The tire specs are
245 x 45 x 19 and the rims are 8.5 in. I am trying to find out
what the widest tire I can put on these rims, that will not rub inside
the fender wall. I am also only looking to do it on the back of the
car. If someone owning a 2011-2013 mustang gt has any experience
with this I would appreciate hearing about what they know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012
Apprentice

on a 8.5 rim the widest recomended is 265 and that is only from some manufacturers, BFG only recomends 255. going from 245 to 265 will be about one inch wider.

2013 Black V6 6MT 20" Menzarri rims, Airaid intake, Bama tune, 3.73 gears, muffler delete, Corbeau TRS seats, Stack Racing strut bar...Custom shift knob on order.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

according to this calculator...

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

...a 255/45-19 requires an 8-9.5" wheel. This would imply your 1/2" wider wheel could run a 265/45, which isn't quite an inch wider than your 245, but closer to 3/4" wider (0.787").

However, this calculator is having a problem recognizing a 265/45 and 265/40 in a 19. tirerack.com does sell a 265/40 but no 265/45's.

One thing else to consider is diameter. Those 245/45's are already pretty tall @ 27.68"...tallest OE's I've seen on Mustangs are 28", most are closer to 27".

A 265/40 is 27.34", which wouldn't be too much of a reduction in dia, front to rear. However, I think that's likely pushing the limit of that 8-1/2" wheel, plus the only all season I see at tirerack in that size is a Mich Performance winter/snow @ $357/pop.

So now you're looking at reasonably only being able to go to a 255 on that rim...which is only 0.394" wider...hardly perceptible and now pretty much negates the ability to rotate front to rear.

You'll note when playing with that calculator that not only does rim width effect tire selection, but the tires profile will also come into play. Makes sense...the taller the profile, the more rubber avail to stretch to a little wider wheel...so the 265/40 might in fact be outside the recommended width.

Unless you're able to find a 19x10 OE like wheel that's made to resemble what you have, you'll likely need to invest in a whole new set of wheels.

If you do it before you get too many miles and blemishes on them you may be able to get a little $ out of your OE's.

If you do decide to buy new wheels, you may want to consider some other concerns...for example if you want to stay with a 19". 18's are typically cheaper, both wheels and tires, but if you think you may want to upgrade your front brakes in the future, most 18's (but not all) won't clear them.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page