Ford Mustang Forum banner

Not a good weekend!

5K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  tym 
#1 ·
Some jackwagon in a Dodge Dakota not only runs a stop sign, but is looking the wrong way and swings wide and wipes out the side of my GT/CS. :madas:

It's already off to a performance repair shop where they promise it'll be better than before. I hope so!

See less See more
#2 ·
No worries. That will fix up nicely. New door, new fender, and you should be good to go. You are lucky as hell you didnt get hit in the rear quarter panel area. On these cars, once that area is hit you can basically kiss your car good bye. You lucked out big time. Like i said, they will fix that up nicely.

#4 ·
Damn I hate to see that! Hang in there, you'll get it back like nothing happened.
It really sucks but at least you're alright, it sill can be fixed.

#5 ·
Sorry for your troubles. Yes it can be fixed. BUT be sure to sue for diminished value of your car. From this point forward your car is tainted goods. No matter how well your car is repaired it will never be worth what it should be worth in any market. GET the diminished value from the other party's insurance co.

Believe me I speak from experience. :(

#6 ·
Hopefully the other party has insurance and has enough of it. Although the state minimum (whatever that is) should cover that damage. If you have to use your uninsured/under-insured motorist, good luck with diminished value

I feel for you having been through this too. It stinks but looks totally repairable. I hope you put the stripe back on!

#7 ·
Thanks for the support. The shop guy, who picked it up, felt it was an easy, clean repair too. While the door is off a bit and won't close right, it's due to the door side of the hinge, not the body hinge or frame. I didn't think about the rear quarter. Great point! That would have truly sucked. They were fully insured as required in MA. I've never sued for diminished value. Is that realistic to do? How much should it be and does anyone know how to go about it?

#20 ·
This might help get you started.
Diminished Value: The biggest secret in the insurance industry | Online Auto Appraisals | Services

Collision Claim Associates - Providing Diminished Value Claims, Total Loss Claims, and Third Party Appraisals

assessment:
Auto,Vehicle Diminished Value Assessment from DVAssess.com

I learned about this the hard way. You should fully investigate all the possibilities before you just give up. You are owed money. Get it now! Because when it comes time to sell or trade your car, you will take it up the a**, on the value of your "tainted" car.

#9 ·
That's so annoying...Good luck with getting everything fixed!

#10 ·
Not surprised at this sadly with the way most of the @ssholes in this God forsaken state drive. Good luck with the repairs.

#13 ·
Ugh, sorry to see your Mustang damaged.

Just got back from a vacation to Boston and Cape Cod. Holy smokes, you are right about the drivers there. I thought they were bad here in Michigan. No comparison!

Glad he was insured too. Also, if you have a deductible, you can sue to get that paid for too by his insurance.

#14 ·
Sorry about your 'stang. And Curr is right, when we hit the roads around here, we don't f*ck around. :nogrinner

#15 ·
Holy crap, that hurts to look at. I hope everything works out for you.

#16 ·
OUCH Larry..... Get her all fixed up, and kindly ask the body shop to do a little "extra" for you...

#22 ·
They're quite the Performance shop there and I've already started my list of "extras" I'll be trying to get in. :winks

#17 ·
Yea, drivers here suck. Especially anywhere near Boston. I had a Chevy pickup ***** tailgating me at 65 in the slow lane so I took my off ramp without slowing down. He almost lost it, lol. Dumb people everywhere.

Just make sure they check the steering linkage and all that. It looks like he did hit the wheel a bit. What area of MA are you in?

#21 ·
Nope, no airbag deployment. Is there a side airbag???

#25 ·
Sorry to hear....blows. Make sure you stay on the shop no matter how much faith you have in their work. Drop in unexpectedly from time to time to see their progress. Inspect their booth and inquire as to what paint they're using. Express that you'd like only the panels that need paint to be repainted, it will require a good match instead of the shortcut most shops take and fade into the adjacent panels. Aftermarket paint faded into factory will be problematic if you plan to keep the car for a long stretch. Take note of every other minor imperfection that was not on the car before it went in. My car is in a highly recommended shop after being rear-ended. You'd be surprised at the carelessness, shortcuts, and overall lack of attention to detail that happens in an effort to make $ on an estimate. I've been called to the shop 4 times now with them seemingly ready for me to take delivery.......each time I've said "yeah, try again". Just words to the wise.
Good luck!

#27 ·
Insurance - didn't that used to be called "protection money?"

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#31 ·
Sorry to see your car like that but like others have said at least you're OK.

I have to say massholes are without question some of the worst drivers in the NE. I have several friends from MA and they pride themselves on it. Up here in NH when you see a terrible driver or one that seems to think the left lane is a cruising lane you don't even have to see it's a red-plate. I think they should make directionals mandatory in MA cars because apparently they must be an option as most of the cars from MA don't have them.:winks

#32 ·
Insurance estimate for damage came in. It's around $4,600 before supplements... and there will be supplements. It's going to take about 2 more weeks before I get it back. Talk about major HP withdrawal! ;)

#33 ·
keep in their my friend. The road to repairing a wounded mustang is long and annoying. haha it sucks having to drive ****** ass rental cars while the car im paying for is getting fixed. you are lucky that the quarter panel area wasn't hit, as it was in my car. they had to take the rear window out and my back bumper and taillights to fix my car when it was hit. luckily the damage wasn't severe enough to the rear quarter panel area that it could be fixed without cutting into the panel. It looks like from your pictures you just need to get a new fender and door which isn't to bad. Makes me wince though. Good luck

#34 ·
Sorry to see that happen to your mustang. I had that happen to my 03 silverado and I was in the far lane of a 4 lane road. She merged right into the side of my truck and then told the cop she never saw my truck. I was late for work that day also because of it.

#36 ·
My insurance company said they have it specifically written in all policies they don't cover diminished value. They are also not legally able to pursue the other insurance company for something which they do not pay out. My only options are to try and get it out of their insurance company directly or take him to small claims court. I think their insurance company will flat out refuse. I'll try small claims, but even if they do give me an award, the guy is dirt poor and he'll never pay. Apparently he doesn't even have collision insurance on his truck. He called my insurance company and tried to get them to pay for the damage to his car. The adjuster said they have to listen to his story, but it's pretty clear he's at fault and they won't pay a penny.

Mechanical repairs to the front wheel are done. Body work has been started. Hoping to get the car back early next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.