AdvancTrac almost caused a major wreck - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

So does anyone have a tally of the number of forum members (and/or other Mustang owners) that have experienced this phenomenom?

This is the second time I've heard of this but I'm not the most frequent forum member.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinla View Post
So does anyone have a tally of the number of forum members (and/or other Mustang owners) that have experienced this phenomenom?

This is the second time I've heard of this but I'm not the most frequent forum member.
So far I'm the first one with this exact scary malfunction. Others have had some issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Convert View Post

Electronic Stability Control monitors wheel spin sensors on the front tires. When oversteer or undesteer is detected the system will apply one or more brakes on the opposite side of the car to help keep the car from sliding out of control.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
Convert, here is my new hypothesis after playing this in my head over and over. I had just pulled over and got gas at a little Indian reservation gas station less than 3 miles prior to the first incedent of ESC freaking out. I switched lanes and accelerated to get around the rock truck, even though I never fill past the first click, could it have been so full that gas sloshed out, messing up the Left Rear sensor, the second time maybe just the residual gas with added 50mph wind in the wheel well? Both times the Right Front was the first brake I noticed slamming hard, the opposite corner.

Neither me or the dealer can duplicate the problem, and maybe putting this reason in my head just keeps me from being scared like a little kid everytime I accelerate on to the freeway. So maybe it's just a defense mechanism, but it's working. So, Possible or Defense Mechanism?

replica

I don't think the gas can slosh enough to upset a wheel speed sensor.

Weird.

11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica View Post
I don't think the gas can slosh enough to upset a wheel speed sensor.

Weird.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...efuelling.html

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - Short Take Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver
Car & Driver quote:
What’s not better is the capless fuel port Ford adopted last year. The idea of getting rid of a fussy, hard-to-turn cap is great—except that we always seem to spill fuel on the car and on our shoes. And after some hard cornering on a full tank, we noticed signs of weeping down the Mustang’s quarter-panel where dust had collected in the dampness. Last year, Ford told us there was a problem with early filler necks and that it had been fixed. What does it have to tell us now?

C&D also had a picture of gas splashing out of the filler neck, while taking a hard corner. I can't find that now, but I saw it 2 years ago.
Rookie

Wild guess question: are you driving past any high-energy RF or other kinds of high-energy sources, being AF, that might be messing with your electronics?

Only mention this because I read a story about someone a few years ago who was having weird (in their case) TPMS outages no-one could explain, and it was finally isolated to their passing by a high-energy radar installation near Chantilly, VA.

Unlikely in this case but just bringing it up on a chance.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I don't have the answer, but I'll poke wholes in theories. How could gasoline affect a wheel speed sensor differently than water?

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticFan View Post
Wild guess question: are you driving past any high-energy RF or other kinds of high-energy sources, being AF, that might be messing with your electronics?

Only mention this because I read a story about someone a few years ago who was having weird (in their case) TPMS outages no-one could explain, and it was finally isolated to their passing by a high-energy radar installation near Chantilly, VA.

Unlikely in this case but just bringing it up on a chance.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Not 90 seconds before reading this KING 5 news brought up a story near Fort Huachuca were everyones key fobs in the town don't work now.
But I was between the coast and the Olympic Mts. on the Hoh Indian reservation. Yes pronounced HO. I doubt high power EM interference was in the Hoh rainforest.

And I don't know how Gas would interfere more than water. Just perplexed still.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
I am the same way. When I read about someone complaining about TC/ESC causing them to lose control it makes me wonder what the outcome would have been had there been no intervention. However in this case the malfunction did infact appear completely on it's own according to the OP's description.

I have not had a customer car behave quite like the OP's but have had plenty of similar issues. Usually what happens with something like a wheelspeed sensor fault is the ABS tries pulsing the brakes no matter how light you touch the pedal. This causes a severe reduction in the amount of pressure the driver can put into the brakes and indeed makes for a very dangerous driving experience.
Grimace?,
Can I pull a fuse so all electronic assist are off all the time?
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJAG View Post
Grimace?,
Can I pull a fuse so all electronic assist are off all the time?

Not advised as you would lose ABS at the same time. Not to mention a constant fault message in the instrument cluster.
Apprentice

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of I really wish the tunes could take it out completely
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJAG View Post
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of I really wish the tunes could take it out completely

Even if it were possible to 'tune out' the ESC the hardware will still be on the car and have the possibility to malfunction. But honestly, ESC is no more likely to cause a dangerous driving condition than any other component or system in the car. It's not like people go around replacing their fuel tanks with fuel cells in fear they will explode.
11Red3.7

Grimace or Convert are these my driver's side rear wheel speed sensors, or tpms? Or maybe something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0239.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	715.3 KB
ID:	161232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0241.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	578.1 KB
ID:	161233  
11Red3.7

Disregard, I found this for 2005-2010s.
Wheel Speed Sensor Rear
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Red3.7 View Post
So far I'm the first one with this exact scary malfunction. Others have had some issues.
I might be misremembering but I thought there was a guy here in LA that had the same issue about a year ago. The first time it happened the dealer couldn't replicate the issue. So he tried to video tape it so the dealer would believe him. I think after the third time it happened the dealer just changed all the sensors.

I hope for all our sakes this doesn't become a common thing.
Apprentice

I think this is the guy I was remembering. It could be the same issue; only you would know the best from the experience.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2761309

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
advanctrac , traction control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page